Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Front audio jack not working

Last response: in Components
January 2, 2013 10:34:28 PM

Hello all,

I recently completed my build (the mid level one: http://lifehacker.com/5840963/the-best-pcs-you-can-buil...). After installing all the drivers and everything else working perfectly, I have found out that my front audio jack isn't working :(  I've made sure that the headphones are not muted in the lower right hand corner icon. I went to the BIOS screen and found out that even with my headphones plugged into the jack, I have found out that in the BIOS screen of my ASROCK Z77 extreme 4 motherboard it says that they are unplugged. I looked inside the case to make sure I plugged in the audio jack to the motherboard, and I have. I've looked at the other posts with the same problem, and nothing seems to fit. Help!

Build information:
-Windows 8 pro (64bit)
-NZXT Elite 210
-ASROCK Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard
-Intel i3 processor
-Samsung SSD 840 Pro
-8 GB G. Skill ram
-Geforce GTX 560 SE graphics card
January 2, 2013 10:44:35 PM

if you had Windows 7 I'd ask you to check the Device Manager for anything awry - since you don't, and I haven't used windows 8, I'm not much help :/ 
m
l
January 3, 2013 12:57:29 AM

I would advise uninstalling and reinstalling audio drivers, and check the internal plug once again. Do the rear audio jacks work and recognize a headphone being plugged in? You may just have a faulty front i/o panel.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 3, 2013 4:05:20 AM

caffeinekiller said:
Hello all,

I recently completed my build (the mid level one: http://lifehacker.com/5840963/the-best-pcs-you-can-buil...). After installing all the drivers and everything else working perfectly, I have found out that my front audio jack isn't working :(  I've made sure that the headphones are not muted in the lower right hand corner icon. I went to the BIOS screen and found out that even with my headphones plugged into the jack, I have found out that in the BIOS screen of my ASROCK Z77 extreme 4 motherboard it says that they are unplugged. I looked inside the case to make sure I plugged in the audio jack to the motherboard, and I have. I've looked at the other posts with the same problem, and nothing seems to fit. Help!

Build information:
-Windows 8 pro (64bit)
-NZXT Elite 210
-Intel i3 processor
-Samsung SSD 840 Pro
-8 GB G. Skill ram

Ok what you want to do is unplug the audio jack from the motherboard and then flip it the other way so that the side you saw before is facing the other way. Then plug it back into your motherboard.
January 18, 2013 1:11:46 PM

Best answer selected by caffeinekiller.
m
l
July 16, 2013 6:16:21 PM

Unknowngama said:
caffeinekiller said:
Hello all,

Build information:
-Windows 8 pro (64bit)
-NZXT Elite 210
-Intel i3 processor
-Samsung SSD 840 Pro
-8 GB G. Skill ram

Ok what you want to do is unplug the audio jack from the motherboard and then flip it the other way so that the side you saw before is facing the other way. Then plug it back into your motherboard.

i have the same problem? so that means i have to take open up my computer? Building it was enough lol. BTW, do you mean the single pin connector thing that comes tied together with a bunch of other single pin and double pin connectors?
m
l
July 16, 2013 6:32:17 PM

DarkDubzs said:
Unknowngama said:
caffeinekiller said:
Hello all,

Build information:
-Windows 8 pro (64bit)
-NZXT Elite 210
-Intel i3 processor
-Samsung SSD 840 Pro
-8 GB G. Skill ram

i have the same problem? so that means i have to take open up my computer? Building it was enough lol. BTW, do you mean the single pin connector thing that comes tied together with a bunch of other single pin and double pin connectors?

Haha, yes you will have to open up your computer. The audio connectors come from the case that you have. What you want to do is take that wire and replug it into the motherboard like the way I explained before. Hope this helped!
m
l
July 16, 2013 6:39:28 PM

Unknowngama said:
DarkDubzs said:
Unknowngama said:
caffeinekiller said:
Hello all,

Build information:
-Windows 8 pro (64bit)
-NZXT Elite 210
-Intel i3 processor
-Samsung SSD 840 Pro
-8 GB G. Skill ram

Haha, yes you will have to open up your computer. The audio connectors come from the case that you have. What you want to do is take that wire and replug it into the motherboard like the way I explained before. Hope this helped!

just to get this perfectly clear, you mean physically flip the connector? so like the positive side is facing the negative side? If that makes sense, i dont even really understand what i just said about the positive side and crap. I just want to listen to my music D..; T__T
m
l
January 29, 2014 9:56:19 PM

caffeinekiller said:
Hello all,

Build information:
-Windows 8 pro (64bit)
-NZXT Elite 210
-Intel i3 processor
-Samsung SSD 840 Pro
-8 GB G. Skill ram

m
l
January 29, 2014 9:56:30 PM

hey there, all i get it,,, go to the control panel change category to small icon- find REALTEK HD AUDIO MANAGER clk on it- there is folder icon on right-upper side clock on it check the box DISABLE FRONT PANEL JACK DETECTION
m
l
February 21, 2014 2:18:36 PM

RAJKUMARGHOSH92 said:
hey there, all i get it,,, go to the control panel change category to small icon- find REALTEK HD AUDIO MANAGER clk on it- there is folder icon on right-upper side clock on it check the box DISABLE FRONT PANEL JACK DETECTION

you sir are a genius!
m
l
March 5, 2014 2:54:59 PM

Jackr987 said:
RAJKUMARGHOSH92 said:

you sir are a genius!

+1 on this :) 
m
l
June 28, 2014 2:03:38 PM

GENIUS THANK YOU SO MUCH DUDE I SEARCH THE WHOLE INTERNET FOR THIS :) 
GOD BLESS YOU
m
l
!