Solved

Need help with a "Photoshop computer"

I need a ton of help with a computer build. I'm very new to computers and this will be my first build. I'm considering just buying a complete build from CyberpowerPC. I mainly plan on using the computer for Photoshop CS6, Premiere Pro, and After Effects. I'm sure I will end up doing some gaming down the road, but as of now, I don't plan on anything really demanding. I have somewhat of a limited budget and do not want to go above $1200.

A couple questions. Is the multithreading of the i7-3770k a huge advantage over an i5-3450 or any i5 for that matter? Will an AMD Radeon HD 7770 work well with CS6? Will the nVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 do better for my main use?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated and I can always give more information if needed.
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need photoshop computer
  1. What's your budget?
  2. aqualipt said:
    What's your budget?


    Don't want to go above $1200. Would really like to stay around $1000 though
  3. Best answer
    buy this:

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 90.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Green) ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1119.91

    and add a second GTX 660ti in a couple of months.
  4. Thank you very much! This helps out a lot
  5. codycrazybull said:
    Thank you very much! This helps out a lot


    You're welcome buddy!

    if you're done then pick a best answer to close this thread
  6. For video/graphics, I would lots of RAM. Go for 16GB over 8GB. Maybe a 2nd 1TB drive and raid them for performance. Editing video and large photo's writes lots to the drive and sucks up as much ram as possible. It would push that above build to 1250 but give it better performance for video and photo.

    As for the 2nd video card, I don't know if many editing programs will take advantage of SLI. After Effects will use the 2nd card CUDA cores but Premiere and CS6 don't really get any advantage.
  7. getochkn said:
    For video/graphics, I would lots of RAM. Go for 16GB over 8GB. Maybe a 2nd 1TB drive and raid them for performance. Editing video and large photo's writes lots to the drive and sucks up as much ram as possible. It would push that above build to 1250 but give it better performance for video and photo.

    As for the 2nd video card, I don't know if many editing programs will take advantage of SLI. After Effects will use the 2nd card CUDA cores but Premiere and CS6 don't really get any advantage.


    It's true what you say but maybe the OP doesn't do that kind of work, he can always buy a second 8GB RAM kit if he really needs it.
  8. aqualipt said:
    It's true what you say but maybe the OP doesn't do that kind of work, he can always buy a second 8GB RAM kit if he really needs it.


    They said in the OP that the PC is for CS6, Premiere, After Effects.
  9. getochkn said:
    They said in the OP that the PC is for CS6, Premiere, After Effects.


    So?? a Pentium G850 can be used for light photo editing
  10. So I have actually been thinking about what I'll really use this computer for and for the next year or so, I don't think I'll be doing any huge work in Premiere or After Effects. I do have Sony Vegas and it does seem to be less intensive. If I wanted to use this solely as a Photoshop computer, would you still recommend the GTX 660? Also, not exactly answered, but does anyone know how big of a difference I would see in Photoshop if I went with an i5 over an i7? I can't imagine I'll be doing anything too big in PS other than photo edits and basic design. No 3D or anything like that.
  11. codycrazybull said:
    So I have actually been thinking about what I'll really use this computer for and for the next year or so, I don't think I'll be doing any huge work in Premiere or After Effects. I do have Sony Vegas and it does seem to be less intensive. If I wanted to use this solely as a Photoshop computer, would you still recommend the GTX 660? Also, not exactly answered, but does anyone know how big of a difference I would see in Photoshop if I went with an i5 over an i7? I can't imagine I'll be doing anything too big in PS other than photo edits and basic design. No 3D or anything like that.


    The GTX660ti is a gaming card, in any GPGPU applications it will be raped by the cheapest AMD card so...if you're not gaming in suggest you get the AMD 7850 (still good for gaming...it matches the GTX480)

    The difence between the i5 and the i7 is very small and it only shines under HEAVY video editing/Transcoding/decoding/encoding/Photoshopping with a million layers...etc
  12. aqualipt said:
    The GTX660ti is a gaming card, in any GPGPU applications it will be raped by the cheapest AMD card so...if you're not gaming in suggest you get the AMD 7850 (still good for gaming...it matches the GTX480)

    The difence between the i5 and the i7 is very small and it only shines under HEAVY video editing/Transcoding/decoding/encoding/Photoshopping with a million layers...etc



    Hmmm, I can't imagine I'd be doing anything with more than three video layers or anything that Vegas can't handle right now. I should probably say now that I'm going to be studying graphic design fall 2013, so I don't necessarily need the computer to be maxed out until then, and even then, there's no guarantee that I'll be doing After Effects work. Thank you again for your help
  13. Also, this is a bit off topic, but would I be able to install Windows on a SSD if I set that as my primary drive? I'd probably install Lightroom and Photoshop on the SSD if I had enough space and everything else would be on the HDD. Is that possible?
  14. codycrazybull said:
    Also, this is a bit off topic, but would I be able to install Windows on a SSD if I set that as my primary drive? I'd probably install Lightroom and Photoshop on the SSD if I had enough space and everything else would be on the HDD. Is that possible?


    Yes, you can :D

    If that's it then pick a best answer
  15. Best answer selected by CodyCrazybull.
  16. Awesome, hopefully I can get this all together soon
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Photoshop Computer Systems Product