Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help me choose and why?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 30, 2012 4:11:11 AM

I returned my DIAMOND 7850PE52G Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 due to a lot of hassling issues with 7800 series.

So I am leaning towards to 570 2.5Gbs EVGA card than the 570 1.28 GBs EVGA card.

I am pushing my budget over the limit but I don't mind getting 570 2.5GBs EVGA card due to great solid reviews and I only like playing Battlefield 3 and some games. So What I am trying to say is I would like to know what should you recommended me to go for? Don't pick due to low power consumptions, I want the card that can work thru most games without any issue.

here's the list-

-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(EVGA 025-P3-1579-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) HD 2560MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card)

-7850(stay with or) 7870- give name-brand preferences.

Unless you have any other items you want to put in, feel free to give your opinions and explain why please so I can know the reasons.

COMP_SPEC-

COOLER MASTER HAF 912
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz-> OC'd to 3.6GHz
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
GA-MA770T-UD3P (Upgrading soon for SLI/Crossfire)
8GB G.SKILL @1333Mhz
APEVIA 700W SLI/Crossfire ready (Planning on upgrading this as well. It's functional still.)
LG FLATRON IPS235 monitor.

Thank you for your time reading this, Good day! :bounce: 

More about : choose

a c 91 U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 4:33:23 AM

skele said:
I returned my DIAMOND 7850PE52G Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 due to a lot of hassling issues with 7800 series.

So I am leaning towards to 570 2.5Gbs EVGA card than the 570 1.28 GBs EVGA card.

I am pushing my budget over the limit but I don't mind getting 570 2.5GBs EVGA card due to great solid reviews and I only like playing Battlefield 3 and some games. So What I am trying to say is I would like to know what should you recommended me to go for? Don't pick due to low power consumptions, I want the card that can work thru most games without any issue.

here's the list-

-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(EVGA 025-P3-1579-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) HD 2560MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card)

-7850(stay with or) 7870- give name-brand preferences.

Unless you have any other items you want to put in, feel free to give your opinions and explain why please so I can know the reasons.

COMP_SPEC-

COOLER MASTER HAF 912
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz-> OC'd to 3.6GHz
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
GA-MA770T-UD3P (Upgrading soon for SLI/Crossfire)
8GB G.SKILL @1333Mhz
APEVIA 700W SLI/Crossfire ready (Planning on upgrading this as well. It's functional still.)
LG FLATRON IPS235 monitor.

Thank you for your time reading this, Good day! :bounce: 


Get a sapphire card. perferablly the 7870 dual-x (regular edition's fine). overall, sapphire has been practically the best premium AMD video card company. their dual-x cooler combined with their very nice board design will get you some amazing overclocks and likely surpass the 570, probably stepping into 7950 territory.
m
0
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 4:51:55 AM

I would agree with the 7870 as well.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 4:52:26 AM

^+1
If I had to pick between the two cards I would get the HD7870 and I prefer nVidia other AMD. AMD the 7xxx series seem to have a driver issue. But between the two I would get the 7870.

And here is why do to the bench marks the 7870 does a lot better in most of what is listed so the 7870 gets my vote. Also I like EVGA or XFX brands due to warranties. plus get the 2 gigs of Vram or more. Good luck to you.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=518
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 5:02:36 AM

My PSU has 2x 6 pins connector on 1 cord, can I use both on one card? The 7870 has 2 power plugs 7850 has 1, I am going for gigabyte (windforce) 7870, any good? It's cheaper too.
m
0
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 5:08:38 AM

skele said:
My PSU has 2x 6 pins connector on 1 cord, can I use both on one card? The 7870 has 2 power plugs 7850 has 1, I am going for gigabyte (windforce) 7870, any good? It's cheaper too.


Gigabyte windforce's a great choice if it's cheaper :) 

what is the rating on your 12V rail? the amperage should be printed on your psu. though as a general rule it's not recommended to plug in two 6-pins from the same cord into 1 card (wonder why they made it that way)
m
0
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 5:26:18 AM

oh good, newegg actually has all the info:
+3.3V@38A, +5V@40A, +12V1@23A, +12V2@26A, -5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.0A

a bit on the low side for a 700 watter... but should be sufficient for a 7870 due to how little power it uses... I would wait on a second opinion though... am not an expert on PSUs
m
0
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 5:29:44 AM

If it's a big thick cord for the 2 PCI-E (6-pin) power connectors then it's okay. If it's a slim cord for the 2 PCI-E cords then that is not okay.

If possible try to use 2 separate PCI-E (6-pin) power connectors.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 5:30:39 AM

I'm planning on getting new PSU, so for now I'm sticking with this current PSU till I am able to afford it. I have been spending a lot of money and time getting upgrade parts for my PC over the budgets. My AMD was a great deal so I got that then till the graphic part. I'm struggling due too many informations about this and that if you know why I mean before buying I do researches. so what do you mean 2nd options? I am gonna try to get XFX brand PSU later on.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 5:34:11 AM

@fantastik, how thick? To me it feels and looks like thy rhich as the 8pin for CPU on the motherboard. If that make sense. It's not as thick as the 20+4 but almost? It's hard to say since this site don't allow picture on it. Unless there's a way.
m
0
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 5:39:17 AM

Okay, here's another way, check if there is 12 lines coming from the 2 PCI-E (6-pin) connectors.

You don't want the situation where it has 6 lines (from the PSU) and splitting into 12 lines.
m
0
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 5:42:27 AM

skele said:
I'm planning on getting new PSU, so for now I'm sticking with this current PSU till I am able to afford it. I have been spending a lot of money and time getting upgrade parts for my PC over the budgets. My AMD was a great deal so I got that then till the graphic part. I'm struggling due too many informations about this and that if you know why I mean before buying I do researches. so what do you mean 2nd options? I am gonna try to get XFX brand PSU later on.



I meant second opinion as in have someone else come and give a verdict. which fantastik has done :) 

XFX generally rebrand other people's PSUs. you're better off with Seasonic than XFX. otherwise get a corsair, enermax, or antec psu
m
0
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 5:46:05 AM

To add to Vmem's suggestions, next time for a PSU selection, make sure most of the Watts and/or amps are at the +12V rail. Vmem has stated it's a bit on the low side, and I agree.
m
0
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 6:14:50 AM

I suggest using 2 Six Pin's on different cords. Not on the same cord.
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 6:19:28 AM

That is what I don't like about generic PSU's. They claim to have two 6pin connectors but they don't tell you that they are on the same leg of the 12v rail. He could use it but I wouldn't do any OC'ing with it.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 6:23:02 AM

Can any one of you give me a one good cheap PSU good brand please. I guess I'll get a new PSU after all.
m
0
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 6:26:52 AM

How much are you going to pay?

Do you want to have the same watts as your current PSU?
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 6:28:59 AM

80 bucks or less. If nessecary due for overclocking and crossfire near future ill try to spend a bit more like 120 or less.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 6:42:57 AM

Hmm 10% off I wonder lol. You're positive this is worth the money? How good is the customer supports?
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 6:43:27 AM

How is my motherboard in your opinion? Is it fine for now?
m
0
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 6:45:49 AM

skele said:
Hmm 10% off I wonder lol. You're positive this is worth the money? How good is the customer supports?


corsair makes some of the best PSUs on the market. their product's worth it
m
0
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 6:46:37 AM

Corsair has good customer service. It's one of the companies for PSU's. Other good brand's are Antec and SeaSonic. But, they are currently more expensive. Yes, if any thing goes wrong, Corsair will definitely replace it. Your current motherboard is fine. But if you are considering crossfire/sli, or even getting a high end card it may be good to invest in a motherboard that has PCI-E 3.0 slots. So you'll be pretty set for any card for any future upgrades of video cards.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 6:49:49 AM

For now can I still use my current PSU? Till I get the money for that PSU you gave.
m
0
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 6:54:02 AM

Yes, but remember to use 2 different 6 pin cords.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 6:56:19 AM

Like the adapter that came with 7850? The 2x adapter for modular or something. I'll need help understanding what you mean and how should it work.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 7:00:37 AM

7870** not 7850.
m
0
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 7:03:32 AM

If you look at your power supply, how many PCI-E 6 pin's do you have?

Probably 4? 2 of them should be on one cord and 2 on the other.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 7:06:04 AM

One is in for processor and other one is for GPU. They both have split
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 7:11:04 AM

I mean there are 2 cords so 4x6Pins but 2 on each. And sPlitted on each as well.
m
0
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 7:12:20 AM

Take out the one from the processor, you should have an 8-pin (not a 6+2 pin, that's for the graphics card). You want to use the 6+2 pin for the graphics card.

6+2 pin for graphics card:


8 Pin for the processor:
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 7:21:51 AM

The first one I do have but there's another 6 wires splitter to another 6pin on the same GPU cord. Same goes for processor. How did you get the pic on here?
m
0
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 2:44:57 PM

skele said:
The first one I do have but there's another 6 wires splitter to another 6pin on the same GPU cord. Same goes for processor. How did you get the pic on here?


Do you have another cord with an 8pin output? I can't imagine anyone building a CPU power cord that splits into two plugs. I think you are using you second GPU cord for the CPU
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 4:20:00 PM

Oh not at all lol. I'll have to make video of it later to show you.
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 2:11:39 AM

skele said:
Ok I think this should be the best example because it's exactly like this

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275616-28-power-suppl...

Scroll all the way to the bottom till you see the picture. That's how my cable looks like this.


OP that is the same set up as I have for my two cards grant you my two cards are the worst gaming cards the nVidia has put out but they still get the some jobs done.

My PCIe 6 pin connectors are exactly as that picture you link us too. It will work for you. If I could take a picture I would and show you. Infact I have two of them comming out of my PSU.

They wouldn't make them that way if it doesn't work besides the 7850 or the 7870 draws less power than my 550's. Anyway I hope this helps and good luck.
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 2:14:39 AM

Sweet! Mind if you can stay on for a bit I have found some PSU I can buy instead of Corsair, How good is PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply? They are the same price as Corsair, unless Corsair delievered better than the PC power and cooling...
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 2:44:49 AM

skele said:
Sweet! Mind if you can stay on for a bit I have found some PSU I can buy instead of Corsair, How good is PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply? They are the same price as Corsair, unless Corsair delievered better than the PC power and cooling...


They aren't on the PSU list of good to worst so I don't know how good they are. I just helped another OP he has a the same brand but his is a 950w and the only trouble I found was it has only one 12vrail and it is rated 0 to 50c.

So what the problem is that if it should ge up over 50c in temps it could cut back on the power and 86amp on the 12v rail well I would think that the heat would be higher because of eveything drawing off the one rail.

It also has a fan that goes faster as the heat rises. But that is all I know about that brand. But the one I linked you to is a very nice and it is on the good side of the list to buy form. I will link you too that list.

Tier 1 = best Tier 5 = worst. Yeah I will hang for a little while.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 2:48:01 AM

You're positive that I can use my 7870 on 1 rail with 2x 6 pins APEVIA psu? I just want it to give me time to save up for good PSU. If not then I'll be force to buy the new PSU.
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 2:55:38 AM

No stop
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 2:57:12 AM

Even OC?
m
0
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 3:06:38 AM

DM186 said:
No stop


he meant don't run it on your current PSU. and by god don't try to OC
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 3:07:41 AM

My bad I was thinking my cards are on one link of the 12v rail then I thought no I better stop him then I thought, I know what happens when there is only one 12v rail to supply the power in other PSU's.

So they would have to have two cables comming from the one 12v rail so you can do and if it doesn't work it will not harm anything but I feel it will work because I am running my two card at the same time on the same rail.

You can always find a molex cable to a 6 pin and use the one cable you have then use the molex to plug into another molex and plug in both 6 pin connectors but try it the way I suggested in the first place.

I am sorry but I scared my self that is why I said stop. I must be smoking some bad stuff. It will work but don't OC and you have two 12v rails and at what 26amps on one? gives you 312w.

Your card draws a 115w which is 9.6amps so you can use that in therory. So I stick by saying yes just don't OC it. Here is the link to how may watts your GPU will use.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/...
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 3:11:00 AM

LOL it's no problem. I am having alot of trouble finding a good budget friendly PSU so can I go for 550-650? with overclocking GPU and no Crossfire (which Ill buy another PSU that's crossfire ready)
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 3:24:03 AM

How is it under 80 bucks :o  is it the rebate?
m
0
l
!