Can i make my own server in WoW?
And how?
10 answers Last reply
More about server

    "Niels" <niels@spoweb.dk> wrote in message
    news:42f3a7cf$0$18643$14726298@news.sunsite.dk...
    > Can i make my own server in WoW?
    > And how?

    Buy out Blizzard and Vivendi and you can probably do what you like.

    Niels wrote:
    > Can i make my own server in WoW?
    > And how?

    The short answer is: No, you cant.

    WoW is not a peer-to-peer multiplayer game, like Sacred or Dungeon
    Siege. Plus it's also not based on clients trusting each other to
    maintain their own seperate game state, where the central server is
    just a message router.

    Anyone attempting to re-create a private WoW server has to basically
    reverse engineer the entire Blizzard server code without Blizzards help
    or permission. A few people have tried doing that, but it's probably
    never going to happen as long as Blizzard has a fulltime staff
    constantly adding new content/features to the game and patching the
    client too. To even try is chasing an awefully big and complex moving
    target.

    People do it to make an uber leet character and then stair at the stats
    and J@#K @ff to it.
    also to develop strats for big instance runs etc with no pressure and
    able manipulate stuff etc.

    well, many many MANY people play WoW as a single player RPG with other
    people around (i.e. for them, the other people are just like a little
    smarter NPCs), never grouping, etc. So for these people it would make
    sense.
    It'd be kinda funny trying to outbid yourself in AH :)

    It's been done, reportedly. Although it had too many bugs, and quests
    didn't work (?). There's really no reason to want a private server unless
    you have some group of hundreds of people who want to play on your network.

    Otherwise it's just boring, isn't it?

    On 5 Aug 2005 14:12:24 -0700, "Optional" <john_barry74@hotmail.com> scribed
    into the ether:

    >People do it to make an uber leet character and then stair at the stats
    >and J@#K @ff to it.
    >also to develop strats for big instance runs etc with no pressure and
    >able manipulate stuff etc.

    None of these sites actually have working instances, AFAIK.

    Even if they did, the chance that the encounters inside these instances
    work the same way as they do on live servers is nil.

    wolfing wrote:

    > It'd be kinda funny trying to outbid yourself in AH :)

    On an item you puy there yourself....

    Devast8or

    On 2005-08-05 22:55:24 +0200, "D.B. Calhoun"
    <efrankvalli(AT)hot(RE-MOVE)mail.com> said:

    > It's been done, reportedly. Although it had too many bugs, and quests
    > didn't work (?). There's really no reason to want a private server
    > unless you have some group of hundreds of people who want to play on
    > your network.
    >
    > Otherwise it's just boring, isn't it?

    One purpose I see for putting up such a server would be for e.g. a
    fansite to create renders of ingame items. Another thing I've been
    thinking about is for people that want to make ingame movies, a private
    server would give you freedoms you can't get in the normal game, and
    that can help to get the shot or effect you want for your WoW movie.

    In any case, I don't think you'll be able to 'enjoy' the game on there.
    They're unstable as hell, a lot of talents and abilities don't work.
    There are no instances, no battlegrounds, no honour system, a useless
    Auction House, and about 10 other players you can group with (<-
    speculations, have too few spare time that I'd waste it on a rogue
    server...)
    --
    http://www.new-roots.com/
    Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 60 - Bloodscalp EU

    You can make your own server. Dl wowemu from this page and configure server.
    You can play in LAN. http://game.mari-el.ru/real/files.html

    Can you give me instructions about how those files work?

Games Warcraft World Of Warcraft Servers Video Games