Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Pentium d 3 0ghz processor upgrade to i5?

Last response: in CPUs
January 2, 2013 11:02:45 PM

i have a dell edge 860 with Pent D 3.0 it runnig very slow with PFsence, need to upgrade to a faster CPU.
what CPU will work? thinking of i5 or i7?
Richard
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2013 11:07:06 PM

You'll probably need a new motherboard. Pentium D processor is on socket LGA775 while most of the i5 and i7 are on LGA1155, LGA1156 and LGA2011

- The Brownie
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2013 11:19:56 PM

You NEED a new motherboard. Retire your Dell Edge, buy a bunch of new parts and assemble yourself a beast.
m
l
Related resources
January 2, 2013 11:37:04 PM

Since it is a Pentium-D 3.0 (most likely single core), upgrading would be something of a quad core 3.0+ (if there’s any such thing)? And what’s the chance the Dell edge860 would - could of handle the heat etc.? What I am trying to do is get some speed (throughtput) using Pfsence. It is running as low as %5 to an average of %30. It is dropping packets and timing out when usage runs 110meg + and CPU running %70+ at night 7 to 11pm. I hope I’m on the right track.
PS:like the Brownie...
m
l
a c 93 à CPUs
January 2, 2013 11:43:37 PM

like the other 2 said, need new motherboard. Might just as well upgrade the rest too.

p.s.the Pentium D mean Pentium Dual, meaning dual core.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 2, 2013 11:46:40 PM

The Pentium D is actually a dual core based off two single core dies. Upgrading doesn't necessarily mean that, but what I can tell you is the performance difference between the two is worlds different - after putting in something like an i5 to replace your current processor it'll feel totally different, and the numbers it can output will be totally different. As I said, your machine can't take the i5 - your motherboard doesn't support it, and chances are your case can't mount it. You'll just have to scrap the machine & pull your data off it, and move it to a new machine. The only thing you might be able to save is the hard drive, but even that isn't worth recycling in my opinion.
January 2, 2013 11:48:33 PM

Thank alot, great answers. time for new....
m
l
January 2, 2013 11:48:54 PM

Best answer selected by rjpoisson.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2013 11:49:55 PM

rjpoisson said:
Since it is a Pentium-D 3.0 (most likely single core), upgrading would be something of a quad core 3.0+ (if there’s any such thing)? And what’s the chance the Dell edge860 would - could of handle the heat etc.? What I am trying to do is get some speed (throughtput) using Pfsence. It is running as low as %5 to an average of %30. It is dropping packets and timing out when usage runs 110meg + and CPU running %70+ at night 7 to 11pm. I hope I’m on the right track.
PS:like the Brownie...

I know, i taste good :p  (that's what my gf said lol)

Even if the system can handle it, your board wouldn't. It's like fitting a car in your room .. It's too big (That's what she said)

- The Brownie

m
l
!