Pentium d 3 0ghz processor upgrade to i5?

rjpoisson

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
i have a dell edge 860 with Pent D 3.0 it runnig very slow with PFsence, need to upgrade to a faster CPU.
what CPU will work? thinking of i5 or i7?
Richard

Solution
The Pentium D is actually a dual core based off two single core dies. Upgrading doesn't necessarily mean that, but what I can tell you is the performance difference between the two is worlds different - after putting in something like an i5 to replace your current processor it'll feel totally different, and the numbers it can output will be totally different. As I said, your machine can't take the i5 - your motherboard doesn't support it, and chances are your case can't mount it. You'll just have to scrap the machine & pull your data off it, and move it to a new machine. The only thing you might be able to save is the hard drive, but even that isn't worth recycling in my opinion.

rjpoisson

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Since it is a Pentium-D 3.0 (most likely single core), upgrading would be something of a quad core 3.0+ (if there’s any such thing)? And what’s the chance the Dell edge860 would - could of handle the heat etc.? What I am trying to do is get some speed (throughtput) using Pfsence. It is running as low as %5 to an average of %30. It is dropping packets and timing out when usage runs 110meg + and CPU running %70+ at night 7 to 11pm. I hope I’m on the right track.
PS:like the Brownie...

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
The Pentium D is actually a dual core based off two single core dies. Upgrading doesn't necessarily mean that, but what I can tell you is the performance difference between the two is worlds different - after putting in something like an i5 to replace your current processor it'll feel totally different, and the numbers it can output will be totally different. As I said, your machine can't take the i5 - your motherboard doesn't support it, and chances are your case can't mount it. You'll just have to scrap the machine & pull your data off it, and move it to a new machine. The only thing you might be able to save is the hard drive, but even that isn't worth recycling in my opinion.

Solution

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

I know, i taste good :p (that's what my gf said lol)

Even if the system can handle it, your board wouldn't. It's like fitting a car in your room .. It's too big (That's what she said)

- The Brownie