Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

2x Gtx580's 1.5GB Or 1 Gtx670 2GB?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 30, 2012 4:58:55 AM

Pretty much the title,
I'm thinking of upgrading my current GTS450 to a newer card and a friend of mine selling his 2x 580's for the same price of 1 Gtx670 in my country..
The cards support SLI but my current motherboard doesn't have 2 cards space... anyway i'm upgrading that and the CPU to i5-3570K and motherboard to ASUS Intel Z77 Motherboard P8Z77-V PRO so these are no problem so shall i get 2x GTX580's? or 1 GTX670
i dont mind posting my current spec , but i'm changing most of it anyway if needed just post here

More about : gtx580 5gb gtx670 2gb

a c 99 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 5:07:45 AM

Why not go for a GTX 590 or a GTX 680? Besides, single card solutions is probably the best experience so you don't have to hassle with SLI issues, if they occur.
Score
0
June 30, 2012 5:15:19 AM

Because these are the "currently" only cards available and the Gtx680 is 50KD away from Gtx670 which is about 175$
1KD = 3.5USD

prices are sky-high here in kuwait , so i want either one but long lasting , also i'm playing on a 42" LCD TV resolution is 1680x1050 if it matters
Score
0
Related resources
a c 99 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 5:20:44 AM

Oh okay, I didn't know you were from another country. So that is my fault. You may want to get the GTX 670. The GTX 670 is definitely stronger than a single GTX 580, also you can get another one in the future.
Score
0
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 5:43:05 AM

battler624 said:
Pretty much the title,
I'm thinking of upgrading my current GTS450 to a newer card and a friend of mine selling his 2x 580's for the same price of 1 Gtx670 in my country..
The cards support SLI but my current motherboard doesn't have 2 cards space... anyway i'm upgrading that and the CPU to i5-3570K and motherboard to ASUS Intel Z77 Motherboard P8Z77-V PRO so these are no problem so shall i get 2x GTX580's? or 1 GTX670
i dont mind posting my current spec , but i'm changing most of it anyway if needed just post here


what is your PSU? if your PSU can handle it, 580 SLI will kick a 670 so far you will never think about looking at a 670 again. (or a 680 for that matter). While it's true that dual-card solutions have some issues, but most of those have been resolved through driver updates thanks to the fact that the 580s have been around for a while.

anyway, if you have something like a quality 800W PSU, I would go for the pair of 580s :) 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 5:58:26 AM

vmem said:
what is your PSU? if your PSU can handle it, 580 SLI will kick a 670 so far you will never think about looking at a 670 again. (or a 680 for that matter). While it's true that dual-card solutions have some issues, but most of those have been resolved through driver updates thanks to the fact that the 580s have been around for a while.

anyway, if you have something like a quality 800W PSU, I would go for the pair of 580s :) 



my single overclocked Asus gtx 670 Direct cu II top actually beats my mates Palit 3gb gtx 580 sli in 3dmark11 and battlefield 3. Op should definitely get the gtx 670 since its much cooler, overclocks better, draws far less power and overall a much better card. Also op can pick up another gtx 670 later on which will kick the gtx 580s so far they will look like a bunch of 9400gts. Well, maybe not that far but still gtx 670 sli would annihilate gtx 580 sli. gtx 670 is practically a gtx 680 with smaller price tag.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 143 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 5:58:40 AM

battler624 said:
Because these are the "currently" only cards available and the Gtx680 is 50KD away from Gtx670 which is about 175$
1KD = 3.5USD

prices are sky-high here in kuwait , so i want either one but long lasting , also i'm playing on a 42" LCD TV resolution is 1680x1050 if it matters

1 GTX 580 is overkill for your current monitor resolution, 2 GTX 580s = excess of unneeded GPU power.
2 GTX 580s outperform a single GTX 670/680, if they are in a good price, grab them.

EDIT: Away from the thread, do you have any online retailer lists all the prices in your country? Do you know how much Samsung SSD 830 128GB cost?
Share
June 30, 2012 11:13:35 AM

1 GTX 580 is more than enough for that resolution. If you want to "futureproof" a little in case you upgrade your monitor resolution in the near future, get the GTX 670, otherwise, don't waste money and get a GTX 580, even GTX 570 is fine too at 1680-1050 res.
Score
0
June 30, 2012 5:12:20 PM

@Ilaysami there are no online retailers , all i know is someone who's an extreme PC builder , he built my friend PC "the one with the GTX580's" i wish i've told him to make mine anyway in his shop its around ~50KD it isn't a solid price you can bargain with your skill

returning to my thread , for further info , i am not oc'ing and i seriously want smooth play without problems , so i think the SLI is outta the question? btw the Gtx670 here is evga ftw 2gb
i just want a card that will last long and wont disturb my play , if the SLI is good then i'll take the pair of gtx580's , if its not then gtx670
Score
0
a c 91 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 5:43:46 PM

battler624 said:
@Ilaysami there are no online retailers , all i know is someone who's an extreme PC builder , he built my friend PC "the one with the GTX580's" i wish i've told him to make mine anyway in his shop its around ~50KD it isn't a solid price you can bargain with your skill

returning to my thread , for further info , i am not oc'ing and i seriously want smooth play without problems , so i think the SLI is outta the question? btw the Gtx670 here is evga ftw 2gb
i just want a card that will last long and wont disturb my play , if the SLI is good then i'll take the pair of gtx580's , if its not then gtx670


I highly doubt you'll have microstutter issues with a pair of 580s. it was once an issue, but Nvidia has fixed it with driver updates. if others here know something different, please feel free to correct me
Score
0
July 1, 2012 3:31:31 AM

Best answer selected by battler624.
Score
0
July 1, 2012 4:48:58 AM

microstuttering is still an issue, stop making things up about it being fixed. go read the reviews on www.techreport.com and look at the frame time charts...

one gtx 670 no questions asked. dual 580s aren't that much higher, and you don't have to swap your motherboard. you're also most likely getting a smoother gameplay experience with the 670 vs. the 2x 580s (microstutter, frame times).
Score
0
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2012 8:35:27 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!