Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Adequate power supply for new mid-range build

Last response: in Components
January 2, 2013 11:38:27 PM

Hello,
I am planning to construct a new mid-range computer for games and general use.

List below:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Short version: i5 3570-K, GTX 660Ti, 500W Corsair power supply.

Question: Is the 500W power supply sufficient for the rig? A newegg calculator tells me that I'll need about 450W, but other calculators online suggest higher power requirements.

I have no experience picking power supplies, and wanted to verify with someone. Thank you.
a b ) Power supply
January 2, 2013 11:42:40 PM

Take a Corsair CX600 and will be good :) 

If you want something more futureproof, go with a TX750 or TX850.

- The Brownie
Score
a c 280 ) Power supply
January 3, 2013 12:15:25 AM

SarBashar said:
Hello,
I am planning to construct a new mid-range computer for games and general use.

List below:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Short version: i5 3570-K, GTX 660Ti, 500W Corsair power supply.

Question: Is the 500W power supply sufficient for the rig? A newegg calculator tells me that I'll need about 450W, but other calculators online suggest higher power requirements.

I have no experience picking power supplies, and wanted to verify with someone. Thank you.

Hi - Your sys power draw with a 660ti will be approx 300w (+ or - 15w)
a quality 500w psu is sufficient.

Tom
Score
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2013 2:24:44 AM

ditto 500watts would be ample for such a configuration.
Score

Best solution

a c 1167 ) Power supply
January 3, 2013 2:33:22 AM

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

You may find power supplies on the market that supply more than enough Wattage to run the system. However, some of them lack Sufficient Amperage capacity on the critical +12 Volt rail, which is necessary to properly power the critical components in the system (i.e. CPU and GPUs). This is the reason why graphics card manufacturers overstate the power supply wattage, usually by at least 50 Watts, in an attempt to take into account some of those power supplies that have the weaker +12 Volt rail(s).

The Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2 (CP-9020047), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics card.
January 4, 2013 4:14:15 AM

Best answer selected by SarBashar.
Score
!