Sign in with
Your question

8800gts heat problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 30, 2012 6:26:26 AM

recently got the above gfx card which idles between 50-60c, i was playing crysis 2 and it got up to 90c.

i understand that these cards do tend to run a bit hot but my question is about my PSU. would lower power psu cause overheating to happen? i've got a cit 400watt.

reason why i'm asking is that i don't really want to fork out for a new psu and find that it makes no difference.

thanks.

More about : 8800gts heat problem

a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 6:30:57 AM

Which 8800GTS is it? G80 GPU or G92 GPU? If its the G80 one, then those temps are quite normal. If its the G92 version, those temps a a bit warm, but nothing I'd worry about.

A PSU with lower wattage doesn't generally affect GPU temperatures.
June 30, 2012 6:42:03 AM

Tamz_msc said:
Which 8800GTS is it? G80 GPU or G92 GPU? If its the G80 one, then those temps are quite normal. If its the G92 version, those temps a a bit warm, but nothing I'd worry about.

A PSU with lower wattage doesn't generally affect GPU temperatures.

thanks for that - mine is a g80. i'll monitor for now but keep an eye out for a bargain psu...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 172 U Graphics card
June 30, 2012 1:56:05 PM

Bargain psu- fried components
Just change the thermal compound and put some tape over the side vent so more of the heat blows out the slot. Take good care of this card as it is a legend and becoming very collectable.
July 1, 2012 10:56:28 AM

nforce4max said:
Bargain psu- fried components
Just change the thermal compound and put some tape over the side vent so more of the heat blows out the slot. Take good care of this card as it is a legend and becoming very collectable.

Hi nforce4max,

i'v echanged the thermal compound already, are you suggesting to cover part (or some of it) where the metal fins are showing through the plastic cover?
thanks
a c 172 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 1:22:21 PM

Plastic cover
!