Can thermal paste become frozen and damage the CPU?

driedupfish

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hi all, I just recently order a tube of arctic silver 5 online. It's winter here in the US so I am afraid that the paste may come frozen. Does anyone know if that is a possibility or am I worrying too much? I can always thaw it first if the paste come frozen but I am worry that would somehow affect the molecular structure of the compound and rendering it useless, or not as effective.

ChilledGrease

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
No, arctic silver 5 will not freeze, and even if it did, the only effects would be reduced contact between the heatsink and the cpu. I just ordered a tube myself and I live in Northern Minnesota. No problems whatsoever. The only way thermal paste can damage a cpu is if touching something other than the metal heat spreader on top.

driedupfish

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

Sorry for my ignorance but what exactly is a "BB" and how big is that?

According to the Arctic silver website: http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#

For Intel i5 processors, the recommended application method is vertical line. To me a vertical line is definitely WAY more than just a small size dot. Unless it's a really, really thin line. Just to be safe I think I'll just adhere to the "dot in the center" method.

darksparten

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Well actually Arctic Silver back then had a bad batch where the Paste would basically cement, making it impossible to remove the heatsink without tearing the Heatsink+CPU out of the socket and bending quite a few pins in the process.

However it won't actually "Freeze".

Edgars_Ab

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
I don't know what thermal compounds you guys are using, and which ones does or does not freeze, but my genuine Arctic MX-4 was frozen like a brick (20g tube), after I accidently held it for 2 days in my storage room, where the temperature was below zero celsius (because of winter). As I needed it urgently, it was quite funny to use a heatgun, for defrosting it. Almost melted the plastic tube in which it was into. After defrosting, it seemed quite good for using (in same consistency).

Anyway guys from other forums recommend to buy a replacement in case if the thermal compound gets frozen to avoid any performance loss or caused damage, because of changes in its consistency.