Sign in with
Your question

Can thermal paste become frozen and damage the CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
January 2, 2013 11:57:48 PM

Hi all, I just recently order a tube of arctic silver 5 online. It's winter here in the US so I am afraid that the paste may come frozen. Does anyone know if that is a possibility or am I worrying too much? I can always thaw it first if the paste come frozen but I am worry that would somehow affect the molecular structure of the compound and rendering it useless, or not as effective.
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2013 12:01:19 AM

It won't come frozen - I've went walking home in the winter here in NY with a tube in my hand, didn't freeze. I would have recommended MX-4 though, much better paste.
m
l
January 3, 2013 12:03:20 AM

No, arctic silver 5 will not freeze, and even if it did, the only effects would be reduced contact between the heatsink and the cpu. I just ordered a tube myself and I live in Northern Minnesota. No problems whatsoever. The only way thermal paste can damage a cpu is if touching something other than the metal heat spreader on top.
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2013 12:12:38 AM

ChilledGrease said:
...The only way thermal paste can damage a cpu is if touching something other than the metal heat spreader on top.

So don't use too much paste?
m
l
a c 144 à CPUs
January 3, 2013 12:29:22 AM

Definitely dont use too much. Too much acts like a blacket trapping heat in the cpu.
Just a BB sized blob is all you need.
m
l
January 3, 2013 12:31:48 AM

popatim said:
Definitely dont use too much. Too much acts like a blacket trapping heat in the cpu.
Just a BB sized blob is all you need.

Sorry for my ignorance but what exactly is a "BB" and how big is that?

According to the Arctic silver website: http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.ht...

For Intel i5 processors, the recommended application method is vertical line. To me a vertical line is definitely WAY more than just a small size dot. Unless it's a really, really thin line. Just to be safe I think I'll just adhere to the "dot in the center" method.
m
l
January 3, 2013 3:18:35 AM

Well actually Arctic Silver back then had a bad batch where the Paste would basically cement, making it impossible to remove the heatsink without tearing the Heatsink+CPU out of the socket and bending quite a few pins in the process.

However it won't actually "Freeze".
m
l
!