Sign in with
Your question

Pentium 4 L2 1MB Compatibility issue

Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2013 12:09:03 AM

I have a Pentium 4 3.4 GHz with L2 1MB. It has Hyperthreading techonology and is a 478 socket. My motherboard says it supports a Pentium 4 3.4 GHz but with L2 512 K. What will happen if I put in the Pentium 4 with the L2 1 MB? Will it work or will I burn something or will it just not work? I just wanted to know what happens in situations like this. I may need to find a better motherboard to support it but if I can use it like this I would. My system is:

Pentium 4 2.66 GHz L2 512 K
D865PERL with a revision that does not support the 1 MB L2 Cache
4 GB Dual Channel PC3200 RAM
2 X 1TB Seagate Barracuda in Raid Array

Thanks for any suggestions or answers

The Processor I have in hand to change my old one is :

Intel P4 3.4GHz 800MHz 1MB Socket-478 RK80546PG0961M
Any suggestions for a recommended motherboard would be appreciated...
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2013 12:11:28 AM

I too have a Pentium 4 friend, it's Prescott based, just underclocked to 3GHz. Do not try that, because the BIOS will not support it. That is a Northwood Pentium 4, an earlier Pentium 4. What you and I have are later made Prescott based, so that board probably won't run it unless there was a BIOS update to support it, but I somewhat doubt they did that.
January 3, 2013 12:31:45 AM

payturr said:
I too have a Pentium 4 friend, it's Prescott based, just underclocked to 3GHz. Do not try that, because the BIOS will not support it. That is a Northwood Pentium 4, an earlier Pentium 4. What you and I have are later made Prescott based, so that board probably won't run it unless there was a BIOS update to support it, but I somewhat doubt they did that.

You are right about that...Intel did come with a BIOS update for this Pentium but not for my revision. So I am stuck with anything up to 512 K L2 Cache....but this Pentium was a gift so...I want to use it. I know I can use all the other hardware that is working fine taking advantage of the Hyperthreading technology of the New Pentium 4 at almost a 1 GHz faster.
!