Screwed up i5 3570K?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Computers
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2013 12:16:30 AM

After having my computer for a couple of months, I decided to overclock my 3570k. I did some reading up on the matter and found a guide that said to start by setting my voltage to 1.25v and my multiplier to 45 and to scale the voltage down from there until I reached the minimum stable voltage for my overclock. When I changed the voltage, though, I instantly booted to a blue screen, or simply got kicked back a windows start-up error message; even when I lowed the multiplier down all the way to 36. Since then I tried booting my computer with the multiplier left at 45 and an automatic voltage setting, but the voltage showed up as something over 1.6V while idle in CPU-Z.

In order to get back going again, I restored all the default settings in the BIOS and opened up CPU-Z to find this:

The voltage seems to bounce around randomly every second or so, anywhere from 1.320V to 1.464V while idle. Am I doing something wrong or is something seriously screwed up?

More about : screwed 3570k

January 3, 2013 1:52:56 AM

I also can't boot into windows with a voltage of less than 1.39V and CPU-Z shows my multiplier as 44, regardless of what multiplier value I enter in the BIOS.
m
l
a c 115 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2013 2:52:56 AM

LaserChair said:
I also can't boot into windows with a voltage of less than 1.39V and CPU-Z shows my multiplier as 44, regardless of what multiplier value I enter in the BIOS.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k...

This should help.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

a c 80 à CPUs
January 3, 2013 3:12:36 PM

there are a couple of things that you should do. You must perform a hard BIOS reset which means you should turn off all power to your system and any connected peripherals (monitor and speakers) but leave every thing plugged to the wall. Tke out the CMOS battery (the coin battery) from your motherboard.

next press your system's power button a couple of times. you obviously won't see anything happen but this is a sure shot way of completely discharging static electricity which will get grounded/earthed since the components are still plugged into the wall socket.

now replace the CMOS battery and start up your system and then enter BIOS. In the BIOS, check if your voltages have come down (something like 1.05-1.12 Volts). if the voltages have lowered, then enter windows and finally check using cpu-z the voltages that are being reported.

the fact that the voltage jumps around is normal as that is intel speed step regulating the voltage as per the core load requirements but 1.39- 1.46 Volts is abnormally high.

once you are back at the correct voltage, follow the guide suggested by "max" above to properly OC your machine (simple mistakes must not deter you from learning something :)  )

good luck
-satyam
a c 193 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2013 4:48:39 PM

+1 for satyamdubey

I was running 4.6GHz at 1.25v and unless I really hand a top of the line custom cooling solution I wouldnt dream of going over 1.3v. Heck you can set your voltage to auto and should still be able to stay below 1.26v at 4.5GHz if you have good cooling.
m
l
January 7, 2013 2:36:29 PM

satyamdubey: I had a similar problem and followed the steps you provided, after a hard bios reset and some tweaking I was able to get the system running again with some possible problems.

1) It is occasionally crashing now at setting that worked previously
2) My windows power scheme was inadvertently changed to high performance locking my multiplier at 100%
3) When I open RealTemp and i7TurboGT, C1E and C - states (respectively) are disabled at boot. When I turn it on from one program it appears to persist when read from either until restarted. I don't see any effect from this being on or off (with the EIST toggle I can see the effects instantly)
m
l