orlandojteran

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

bgrt

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

350W should handle a 550 Ti. I think NVIDIA recommends 400W but manufacturers tend to exaggerate the power requirements for video cards to be safe. You can always plug in your card and try to run some games before determining whether you need a new PSU or not.

To recommend a card though, that depends on your resolution. For example 550 Ti may be very good for 1680x1050 but won't max out every game at 1920x1080, especially the more intensive ones. Btw you can get new 550 Tis for much cheaper if you looked around. eBay comes to mind.

shubham_66

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
You need a PSU of 500W to run that GPU.

The GPU u have choosen is fine, but m not fully sure it will work on ur mobo.
Get an expert's advice and find out if the GPU will be compatible with ur mobo before purchasing

G

the smallest quality PSU would be (don't trust an HP PSU they are terrible!)
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W $44.99
that has enough on the 12 volt rail and a PCI 6 pin power connection for that 550ti
EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Superclocked $124.99
After Mail In Rebate: $104.99
that is a little fastest clock speed 981 as opposed to the EVGA model you linked.

bgrt

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
550 Ti uses 116W max. Assuming OP has a stock system setup, 95W CPU + motherboard (40s) + a hard drive (10) + optical drive + RAM is about 160W ish. 116+160 = 280W. Even assuming, which is probably true, that the 350W PSU can't output 350W, it's more than enough to handle this card plus the other components.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2624 shows you a power consumption list of some sample chipsets. The Intel stuff generally stays under 50W.

G

never assume what a prebuilt PSU can do. this isn't a question of wattage but of quality; quite a few low quality PSUs have 60% of total wattage on the 12 volt rail; which in this case would be 210 watts and not enough to run a C2Q and 550ti let alone the hard drive and chipset.

there is no valid reason to cheap out and not spend $45 to get a PSU instead of taking a chance of losing the whole system. this is the perfect example why manufacturers over estimate what wattage PSU to use.

orlandojteran

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
I will use it in a resolution of 1680 x 1050. Im really considering to change the PSU to a better one, will you recommend me one?. My doubt is if this Graphic Card will fix in my Computer with any problems :??:

Go ahead and strongly suggest ditching that stock power supply. I have worked on to many HP comps over the years that have turned up with bad power supplies.

Antec is ok but they don't like having lots of sata drives installed (huge gripe). There are other brands but always be sure to read the reviews before buying anything.

G

Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W $44.99
that has enough on the 12 volt rail and a PCI 6 pin power connection for that 550ti

i cannot see any problems with this PSU and a 550ti in your computer.

bgrt

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

Why not assume that a PSU can output at least somewhere close to what it spec'd to do? Even if it is an OEM/generic PSU, the manufacturer had some reason to label it a 350W PSU. And if it did work, you would have just spent $45 for no reason. The point is to test what you already paid for, then decide if you need something else or not. If it doesn't run, you wouldn't have paid anymore than you would have if you simply bought a PSU without testing.

My gripe with a lot of hardware enthusiasts is that they always suggest getting more graphics power than a person needs and look down on generic PSUs as being worthless. Sometimes (not saying in this case) a Radeon 6450 or 6570 is all someone needs. Sometimes a generic PSU will last a someone a few years, not all generic PSUs are built the same. "Good enough" is sometimes more suitable for a situation than "best". Buying top quality components may be what they do for themselves but it's not necessarily what other people need.

G

you need to read some reviews:
Conclusions

We think it is simply ridiculous that in this day and age there are still well-known brands labeling power supplies with fake wattages. In the case of the Cooler Master Extreme 2 475 W, we can clearly see that this was done deliberately, as the product box and label list “475” without the letter “W” or the word “Watts” after it, probably to protect themselves in the case of an eventual lawsuit, by claiming that “475” is the “model” of the power supply, not its wattage. However, the manufacturer’s website clearly lists this unit as being a 475 W model. Of course, we are against this kind of practice, and Cooler Master may face problems with agencies in charge of regulating the power supply market around the world.

Even if this unit were labeled with its real wattage (430 W), it would still be a bad choice. Voltages drop below the minimum allowed, and noise and ripple levels can increase above the maximum allowed, causing your computer to behave erratically. Also, this unit presents low efficiency
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Extreme-2-475-W-Power-Supply-Review/1550/11

if you want to throw caution to the wind and take the chance, that is your choice. but do not make those recommendations here.

orlandojteran

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Anyway I will upgrade this PSU, but I want that someone tell me if this card will be just good in my Computer because its V2.0 and my motheboard have a Pci express x16 v 1.1 port, there is not going to be any problem with this and the space in the Case?

The card will work with your board and there is enough room for the card. The card isn't large compared to others like the 9800gtx or the 5870. You can pick and choose which brand and model that you like more than others and some are rather compact compared to reference models.

G

the 9500gs is a full height card and the 550ti is no taller; looking at an image of you mobo there are no sata port behind the x16 slot so length is not a problem and PCI 2.0 is backwards compatible with PCI 1.1

bgrt

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
I've taken what you call a chance many times and they've worked out as I expected. Generic PSUs last a few years and fail. This was my expectation when I buy it. Brand name PSUs don't last forever either. If you already own a generic, why not use it til it fails, and then buy a brand name one if you want it to last longer? Suppose a generic works fine, doing what you're suggesting simply wastes usable lifetime of a PSU and instead starts the countdown on the lifespan of a brand name.

I do realize that the advertised wattage will generally not be equal to the actual output. But this is more of a problem on 400+ W PSUs. This is what I've seen from JonnyGURU results. I'd expect an advertised 350W PSU to approach 300W of real output. And so what if it doesn't meet the expected output level? No one loses anything. The type of recommendation that you MUST get a replacement without even testing the unit under question is the type of advice that should be avoided.

G

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W $59.99
$10 off w/ promo code EMCNDHD77, ends 7/2
$39.99 after mail-in rebate card

TBH the difference between a 1024 or 2048 would only show when using a multi monitor set up. i've played BF3, BF2BC, crysis 2, far cry 2 and rage with ulrta/high settings (whatever to have 40+ FPS); my Vram usage is usually under 800megs @ 1920x1080.

G

congratulations! you have now achieved troll status on my radar :ouch:

unless you are going to help the op by directly helping them with their requests; please fee free to take your senseless babbling someplace else since i will refuse to dignify any more of your self centered ignorance with a reply.

good luck with that. :)

G

PCI-Express Connector 2 x 6+2-Pin <-- so you have enough power connections for a graphics card
+12V@34A <--- 408 watts to run the card, cpu and hard drive.

a quality PSU will have 80% of its total wattage on the 12 volt rail; that is where most of your system needs its power from. the 350 you have in that HP is highly doubtful.

as much as people look at the total wattage: it is important to look at the load distribution among the 3.3, 5 and 12 volt rails that tell how good a PSU is.