Sign in with
Your question

Can I upgrade my Asus G73JH to a 7970m?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 30, 2012 8:23:51 AM

Hey, everyone! About three months ago, I installed a 6970m into my Asus G73JH, and Modded the heatsink accordingly. It's worked fine since then, but I've decided that if possible, I would like to upgrade to a 7970m. A number of factors have held me back from ordering though. So my questions are as follows -

1) The TDP of the 7970m is slightly higher than the TDP of the 6970m (Or so I've read). Will the Asus be able to handle the increased load? (I have an i7 - 720QM, which has the lowest TDP of the Processor family that I can use in the laptop)

2) When I upgraded to the 6970m, the most annoying problem that I faced was the fans running at 100%. I fixed this with a Vbios flash, from a Dell BIOS to a Clevo BIOS. This fixed the fan problem, and the HDMI out problem. But I've read that people attempting a similar upgrade to this have not been able to get the card to POST at all, without a BIOS flash. So what BIOS should I use, If I'm using a Clevo Card? I can modify the BIOS file myself, if need be.

3) Will a heatsink mod be necessary? I don't know if the temps of the 7970m are greater or less than that of the 6970m. I have access to welding and metalworking equipment, so I can fabricate fitted shims, if it's required.

and finally - Should I even Upgrade? Money isn't really a question, unless I fry the 7970m, in which case, my budget doesn't allow for a second card. I'd like to hear your opinions, as well as some answers to my questions, if you can.

Thanks! I appreciate it!
September 12, 2012 3:10:06 PM

Hey Ninjafish,

I'm thinking about flashing my vcard bios for my 6970 since currently i have a 27" IPS 2560x1440 but can't make full use of the resolution using the dual dvi on the back of my clevo (due to clevo driver/vcard bios I believe). Have you had any luck using the dual dvi in the 6970m to output full 2560 x1440? Also which method did you use to flash the vbios? Was it this one?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m15x/568553-l...

Thanks!

CC

ninjafishh said:
Hey, everyone! About three months ago, I installed a 6970m into my Asus G73JH, and Modded the heatsink accordingly. It's worked fine since then, but I've decided that if possible, I would like to upgrade to a 7970m. A number of factors have held me back from ordering though. So my questions are as follows -

1) The TDP of the 7970m is slightly higher than the TDP of the 6970m (Or so I've read). Will the Asus be able to handle the increased load? (I have an i7 - 720QM, which has the lowest TDP of the Processor family that I can use in the laptop)

2) When I upgraded to the 6970m, the most annoying problem that I faced was the fans running at 100%. I fixed this with a Vbios flash, from a Dell BIOS to a Clevo BIOS. This fixed the fan problem, and the HDMI out problem. But I've read that people attempting a similar upgrade to this have not been able to get the card to POST at all, without a BIOS flash. So what BIOS should I use, If I'm using a Clevo Card? I can modify the BIOS file myself, if need be.

3) Will a heatsink mod be necessary? I don't know if the temps of the 7970m are greater or less than that of the 6970m. I have access to welding and metalworking equipment, so I can fabricate fitted shims, if it's required.

and finally - Should I even Upgrade? Money isn't really a question, unless I fry the 7970m, in which case, my budget doesn't allow for a second card. I'd like to hear your opinions, as well as some answers to my questions, if you can.

Thanks! I appreciate it!
m
l
!