GSM Tri-Band

I'm off to the USA early next year and I want to get a nokia phone that
works out there. I dont want to get a new phone as I already have one, so
can anyone tell me which old nokia supports Tri-Band ie the 3310 or
something like that, the older the better as they will be cheap on eBay

TIA
10 answers Last reply
More about band

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:20:09 GMT, del@here.com wrote:

    >I'm off to the USA early next year and I want to get a nokia phone that
    >works out there. I dont want to get a new phone as I already have one, so
    >can anyone tell me which old nokia supports Tri-Band ie the 3310 or
    >something like that, the older the better as they will be cheap on eBay

    3310 is dual band 900/1800. The equivalent North American model is
    3390. The 3310 will not work in North America at all. You'll need a
    model that at least supports GSM 1900. In North America there is some
    use of GSM 850 as well though for a visitor GSM 1900 will probably
    work or at least in most urban areas and highways connecting them.

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:20:09 GMT, del@here.com wrote:

    >I'm off to the USA early next year and I want to get a nokia phone that
    >works out there. I dont want to get a new phone as I already have one, so
    >can anyone tell me which old nokia supports Tri-Band ie the 3310 or
    >something like that, the older the better as they will be cheap on eBay
    >

    >TIA

    i think your best bet would be a 6310i, quite old but top spec for its
    age and its tri band.

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:05:49 +0100, eggster2k
    <eggster2k@NOSPAMbreathe.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:20:09 GMT, del@here.com wrote:
    >
    >>I'm off to the USA early next year and I want to get a nokia phone that
    >>works out there. I dont want to get a new phone as I already have one, so
    >>can anyone tell me which old nokia supports Tri-Band ie the 3310 or
    >>something like that, the older the better as they will be cheap on eBay
    >>

    >>TIA
    >
    >i think your best bet would be a 6310i, quite old but top spec for its
    >age and its tri band.

    if you go for one, make sure its a 6310i and not 6310. the i version
    is the triband model.

    In article <3p26j05tkj6h4prg4ohbvsncj1n1v1e560@4ax.com>,
    eggster2k <eggster2k@NOSPAMbreathe.com> wrote:
    >On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:05:49 +0100, eggster2k
    ><eggster2k@NOSPAMbreathe.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:20:09 GMT, del@here.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm off to the USA early next year and I want to get a nokia phone that
    >>>works out there. I dont want to get a new phone as I already have one, so
    >>>can anyone tell me which old nokia supports Tri-Band ie the 3310 or
    >>>something like that, the older the better as they will be cheap on eBay
    >>>

    >>>TIA
    >>
    >>i think your best bet would be a 6310i, quite old but top spec for its
    >>age and its tri band.
    >
    >if you go for one, make sure its a 6310i and not 6310. the i version
    >is the triband model.

    The OP did not indicate what carrier he planned to use when in the USA.
    If it's T-Mobile, the 6310i would be adequate. However, depending on the
    carrier and local coverage area, GSM850 coverage may be required. Nokia
    does not make a phone that covers both European (900/1800) and North
    American (850/1900) bands. That would require a quad-band phone such as
    the triplets (Vx00) models from Motorola.

    bu

    "Mike S." wrote:

    > The OP did not indicate what carrier he planned to use when in the USA.
    > If it's T-Mobile, the 6310i would be adequate. However, depending on the
    > carrier and local coverage area, GSM850 coverage may be required. Nokia
    > does not make a phone that covers both European (900/1800) and North
    > American (850/1900) bands. That would require a quad-band phone such as
    > the triplets (Vx00) models from Motorola.

    ATTWireless is adding more and more 850 transmitters - in some areas, if
    you only have 1900, coverage will be either spotty or non-existent.
    I've been using a Nokia 3100, which is triband, but it's the US version -
    850/1800/1900, rather than the UK one, which is 900/1800/1900.

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:33:36 -0400, S Viemeister
    <firstname.lastname@which.net> wrote:

    >ATTWireless is adding more and more 850 transmitters - in some areas, if
    >you only have 1900, coverage will be either spotty or non-existent.
    >I've been using a Nokia 3100, which is triband, but it's the US version -
    >850/1800/1900, rather than the UK one, which is 900/1800/1900.

    It all depends where they go. If they are only in urban areas GSM
    1900 should be quite sufficient.

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:20:09 +0000, del wrote:

    > I'm off to the USA early next year and I want to get a nokia phone that
    > works out there. I dont want to get a new phone as I already have one, so
    > can anyone tell me which old nokia supports Tri-Band ie the 3310 or
    > something like that,

    3310 is NOT tri-band. However the Nokia 6310i is, and it's a good reliable
    rock-solid handset.

    > the older the better as they will be cheap on eBay
    ^^^^
    ..... and quite possibly blacklisted ... Caveat Emptor!

    --
    Michael Turner

    Email (ROT13)

    zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg

    The GSM frequencies used worldwide are listed at
    http://www.gsmworld.com/news/statistics/networks_complete.shtml

    From the North American perspective, you would want coverage on 850
    and 1900 - I use a 6820 that covers 850, 1800 & 1900. For the most
    part, 1900 is the main frequency used by Cingular and T-Mobile, the 2
    largest carriers in the US and Fido and Rogers in Canada.

    If your triband is 900, 1800 & 1900, you should have most of NA
    covered as well as all you home area covered. I suggest you have an
    unlocked phone, so it would only be necessary to slip in a SIM card.

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:28:57 -0400, aj <aj867@freenet.carleton.ca>
    wrote:

    >For the most
    >part, 1900 is the main frequency used by Cingular and T-Mobile,

    Not cingular. cingular uses 1900 mostly on the west coast and on the
    east coast in South Carolina and North Carolina and on a limited basis
    in a few other small pockets. cingular mostly uses GSM 850.

    i have a 6220 which does the trick.
    http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,5879,00.html

    900/ 1800/ 1900.

    unlocked.

    get unlocked...

    robert in gozo

    "Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message

    > In article <3p26j05tkj6h4prg4ohbvsncj1n1v1e560@4ax.com>,
    > eggster2k <eggster2k@NOSPAMbreathe.com> wrote:
    >>On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:05:49 +0100, eggster2k
    >><eggster2k@NOSPAMbreathe.com> wrote:

    >>>i think your best bet would be a 6310i, quite old but top spec for its
    >>>age and its tri band.
    >>
    >>if you go for one, make sure its a 6310i and not 6310. the i version
    >>is the triband model.
    >
    > The OP did not indicate what carrier he planned to use when in the USA.
    > If it's T-Mobile, the 6310i would be adequate. However, depending on the
    > carrier and local coverage area, GSM850 coverage may be required. Nokia
    > does not make a phone that covers both European (900/1800) and North
    > American (850/1900) bands. That would require a quad-band phone such as
    > the triplets (Vx00) models from Motorola.
    >

    > bu

Nokia Phones