Which things does Windows look at when you go into Display Properties to
save the current settings as a theme? (I do not have Plus for Windows XP).

It looks at colors you set in Appearance, Screensaver, desktop picture, and
fonts, and icons that you set for My Computer, Recycle Bin, and My
Documents. I do not think it looks at other icons (custom folder icons and
shortcut icons like on your desktop or start menu).

It looks at sound schemes you have set up for different Windows events and
program events. What other icons and things does it look for when it saves a
theme?

I tried opening a theme I had created earlier, and got an error message that
it can't find one or more files. If I know what kinds of things it might be
looking for, I can try to find the files on my backup drive and paste them
into the right location.

*.theme

How to configure Desktop Themes in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307855

HOW TO: Use the Windows Classic Theme in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294309

HOW TO: Enable or Disable the New Interface Components in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288186

How to Change the Font, Size, and Colors of Desktop Items
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310543

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uLSNWdacFHA.2840@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
ForestSpirit <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> Which things does Windows look at when you go into Display Properties to
> save the current settings as a theme? (I do not have Plus for Windows XP).
>
> It looks at colors you set in Appearance, Screensaver, desktop picture,
> and fonts, and icons that you set for My Computer, Recycle Bin, and My
> Documents. I do not think it looks at other icons (custom folder icons and
> shortcut icons like on your desktop or start menu).
>
> It looks at sound schemes you have set up for different Windows events and
> program events. What other icons and things does it look for when it
> saves a theme?
>
> I tried opening a theme I had created earlier, and got an error message
> that it can't find one or more files. If I know what kinds of things it
> might be looking for, I can try to find the files on my backup drive and
> paste them into the right location.

Thanks. The first link tells me that the missing file could be a desktop
picture, a sound scheme, or a mouse pointer. I forgot about mouse pointers.
The third link was very helpful also. Thanks.

SeaMaid
(formerly ForestSpirit)

> *.theme
>
> How to configure Desktop Themes in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307855
>
> HOW TO: Use the Windows Classic Theme in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294309
>
> HOW TO: Enable or Disable the New Interface Components in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288186
>
> How to Change the Font, Size, and Colors of Desktop Items
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310543
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:uLSNWdacFHA.2840@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> ForestSpirit <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Which things does Windows look at when you go into Display Properties to
>> save the current settings as a theme? (I do not have Plus for Windows
>> XP).
>>
>> It looks at colors you set in Appearance, Screensaver, desktop picture,
>> and fonts, and icons that you set for My Computer, Recycle Bin, and My
>> Documents. I do not think it looks at other icons (custom folder icons
>> and
>> shortcut icons like on your desktop or start menu).
>>
>> It looks at sound schemes you have set up for different Windows events
>> and
>> program events. What other icons and things does it look for when it
>> saves a theme?
>>
>> I tried opening a theme I had created earlier, and got an error message
>> that it can't find one or more files. If I know what kinds of things it
>> might be looking for, I can try to find the files on my backup drive and
>> paste them into the right location.

Keep having fun. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.