Sign in with
Your question

Dual core confusion

Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2013 2:15:35 AM

Hey,
I saw a cpu that said 650mhz + 350 mhz, does that mean it is 1 ghz dual core, what does it mean, is it faster than a 1ghz single core when they both have the same amount of ram (same type). thanks

More about : dual core confusion

January 3, 2013 2:23:53 AM

Single core runs 1 task faster than dual core. Dual core runs 2 or more tasks faster than a single.
m
l
January 3, 2013 2:37:14 AM

Could you please specify the CPU you saw, post a link maybe? LeoMatrix is wrong. A dual core will run a single task faster than a single core of the same clock speed, because a lot of programs these days are optimized to run on multiple threads (cores) at the same time.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2013 2:43:36 AM

darkoverlord123 said:
Hey,
I saw a cpu that said 650mhz + 350 mhz, does that mean it is 1 ghz dual core, what does it mean, is it faster than a 1ghz single core when they both have the same amount of ram (same type). thanks

I have no idea what that means. I have never seen cpu specs listed like that before.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2013 4:06:29 AM

darkoverlord123 said:
I am really sorry this is a Mobile Phone processor it is this phoen here, http://www.pandawill.com/5s-android-23-os-smart-phone-3...

its an ARM11.

Those little guys can operate in a higher clocked performance mode or a lower clocked power efficient mode, depending upon hardware application. My guess is that those two speeds represent the official performance range of that chip. 650mhz being its high performance mode, 350mhz being power saving mode.

m
l
!