Sign in with
Your question

Fx-6300 running hot

Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2013 3:23:20 AM

So I just finished building my first rig, I haven't installed windows or anything yet still at the bios. But i was checking out the CPU temp of my FX-6300 and its running at about 42c when I let it sit for a while. Is this because i didn't apply extra thermal paste when i installed it? i just used the thermal past already on the heat sink. I had to remove the fan three times by the way so the paste transferred to the cpu some could this have messed it up?

More about : 6300 running hot

a c 79 à CPUs
January 3, 2013 3:36:40 AM

no its because you see higher temps in BIOS (as Cool&Quiet does not function at that level) compared to what you'll see in Windows. I dont know what room temp you have but at 30C room temp, my core i5 sits at 60-64 C in BIOS and goes down to 33-34 idling in windows.
It seems you've done a very good job with your thermal paste application and heat sink install. :)  congrats
Thermal paste should never be applied in excess.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
January 3, 2013 3:48:27 AM

and just a reminder. do not listen to people who keep saying the stock thermal compound is not good and you should get arctic silver 5 etc. Stock compounds are as good and are high quality stuff.
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2013 3:52:34 AM

satyamdubey said:
no its because you see higher temps in BIOS (as Cool&Quiet does not function at that level) compared to what you'll see in Windows. I dont know what room temp you have but at 30C room temp, my core i5 sits at 60-64 C in BIOS and goes down to 33-34 idling in windows.
It seems you've done a very good job with your thermal paste application and heat sink install. :)  congrats
Thermal paste should never be applied in excess.

okay cool thanks man! i was just a little worried since installing the heat sink fan took me a couple tries and i have no extra thermal paste... doing my first build was scary but fun im glad ive made it through! :) 
m
l
a c 174 à CPUs
January 3, 2013 4:01:21 AM

^^ is right bios temps are always higher than once in the os when cpu functions activate that are not active in the bios, my bro in laws 8150 fx with the stock cooler runs around 35c ish at idle and around 40c ish under light load so dont be worried, maybe just watch temps since u reapplied the cooler with the same paste
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
January 3, 2013 4:07:05 AM

you learn the most when you do stuff yourself. The thermal compound takes a while to set as the processor IHS (integrated heat spreader, the shiny metallic part that heat sink sits on) gets warm after you start using your pc. So removing HSF a couple of times while trying to install it will not cause any problem unless you call it a day half way through the installation :D .

enjoy your build. its a great processor you've got

good luck
-satyam
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2013 4:09:14 AM

I wouldn't try to mess around with the heatsink fan anymore. Those temps are about right. Once you get everything going and check with HWmonitor for temps and are running in the high 50's under light load then double check.

Also, once you remove the heatsink from any CPU it is always recommended that you do a fresh application of thermal paste. Never reuse thermal paste, that can throw off your temps.
m
l
January 9, 2013 12:46:54 PM

most thermal pastes nowadays do not require a burn-in/cure time though...and if ti does it usually does not make more than a 2c difference anyway when it does set...so...I have the 6300 and 42c at idle is not high for the stock hsf at all....but..just fyi, if you go spend 25 or 30 on a decent aftermarket cooler (the enermax ETS-T40 is 25 to 30 bucks and has beaten out the Hyper212 EVO in every test i've read..hyper212 series being the most popular, well reviewed cpu coolers under $50...and at only ~ 29.99 - 34.99 themselves, the hyper212+ and EVO are a great way to give your processor a huge temp drop over the stock HSF. I've got the 212 EVO with my frequency at 4.4ghz @ 1.43v idling at around 25c and after a 12 hour stress test on Prime95 (i've used all stress tests and i cant get any higher temps than prime95 on blend with all cores active) it only gets to about 55c. thats with both stock cooler master thermal paste and artic silver5. good choice on processor!!! i love it
m
l
January 9, 2013 12:49:33 PM

^ similar to the "DO NOT DRINK" you find on the back of gasoline tanker trucks, i will say this, just in case anyone reads this and somehow misunderstands what I said lol...i DID NOT mean that I mixed CM stock paste with Artic silver 5. I tried both of them separately.
m
l
!