Sign in with
Your question

No headroom for psu: ok or not?

Last response: in Components
January 3, 2013 3:26:28 AM

is my 4 year old 600w Corsair psu going to be alright when, according to the antec online psu calculator, i use 596w on 100% load? so far, there hasnt been any shutdowns, hdd errors, or sounds coming out from the case. The only problem that i have is that if my TV/Monitor went to sleep or had the pc off for a long time, there will be no signal coming out of hdmi. I remedy this by turning on the pc or moving the mouse to give the wake-up signal, switch the hdmi to an active source like the cable box or the ps3, then switch it back.

My system specs (all default voltages):
i7 2600k overcloked to 4.2GHz
Biostar TZ77XE3
Kingston Hyperram 16GB (8GB 2x)
HD7850 1GB on crossfire (only have 1 6-pin on each card)
Auzentech 7.1 Xplosion
bluray rw
2x 7200rpm sata2
Corsair H60
1 led normal fan
Bay card reader
3 usb active on average

More about : headroom psu

a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2013 3:42:59 AM

Doubt you will ever hit 596W. The TDP for that graphics card is 130W, for the processor the 4.2 GHz OC TDP may be around 130W too. Everything else is < 100W, so that all adds up to < 490W with everything flat out, which will never occur or probably not come close. The calculators overestimate power drawn by disk drives, RAM, etc.

Doesn't sound like you are having any power related problems, though the PSU is getting a little old in the tooth so has probably lost some capacity, so...
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2013 4:36:17 AM

I believe Redtailed is correct. But I am curious exactly what model of Corsair PSU are you running?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2013 4:39:21 AM

I asked about the PSU model because Corsair never released a 600w model. Its all 620 and 650 and 550.
a c 288 ) Power supply
January 3, 2013 12:56:44 PM

wbirkin said:
is my 4 year old 600w Corsair psu going to be alright when, according to the antec online psu calculator, i use 596w on 100% load? so far, there hasnt been any shutdowns, hdd errors, or sounds coming out from the case. The only problem that i have is that if my TV/Monitor went to sleep or had the pc off for a long time, there will be no signal coming out of hdmi. I remedy this by turning on the pc or moving the mouse to give the wake-up signal, switch the hdmi to an active source like the cable box or the ps3, then switch it back.

My system specs (all default voltages):
i7 2600k overcloked to 4.2GHz
Biostar TZ77XE3
Kingston Hyperram 16GB (8GB 2x)
HD7850 1GB on crossfire (only have 1 6-pin on each card)
Auzentech 7.1 Xplosion
bluray rw
2x 7200rpm sata2
Corsair H60
1 led normal fan
Bay card reader
3 usb active on average

Hi - You have enough power now, realhardtech recommends 575w with 7850CF.

2 things to think about:

Your budget/opening price point PSU is 4yrs old, so you might want to start
thinking about an upgrade.

The efficiency 'sweet spot' for modern PSU's is typically in the 40-60%
level of their maximum output, and will run cooler and quieter at those levels.

Your CF & water cooling setup could run(as redtail suggested) >450w, so
if/when you decide to upgrade, a quality 750w unit would achieve
max efficiency with cooler and queiter operation.

However, I repeat you are fine right where you are at now.

Tom
!