Phenom II x4 965 BE Idling at 50 degrees...

Alexmcmillan

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I just got this today, along with a new Gigabyte 970A-d3 mobo. Installed everything, but now that its running, the cores are idling at around 45-50 degrees celcius. Is this bad? Did I do something wrong?

rockadrock1

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Funny, my friend got his 965 today also. If you are using the stock cooler it may not be set on correctly. When I was putting on the heatsink on my friends computer, i noticed that it is pretty tight, don't worry, it supposed to be. If it IS set correctly you might have gotten air bubbles in the thermal paste trying to get in on right. use the pea method. My friend's was idling at about 35 so there may be a problem,but your conditions may be different.

Alexmcmillan

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I reseated the heat sink using Arctic Silver 5 with a center dot, and I'm still getting abnormally high temp readings. I'm hitting 47 degrees on idle. Any other ideas?

However, I've noticed that while playing Skyrim the cpu doesn't hit above 57-ish. Am I alright?

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

The center dot method really isn't ideal, but it works if you are trying to do a quick/simple install of a cooler that's adequate enough to handle the little bit of lost efficiency. The stock cooler has a hard time with the 965 in most cases, let alone if you do the slightest thing to hinder it. I doubt you did anything "wrong" technically- if you actually had a loose fitting heatsink or really goofed with the thermal paste, you would be running hotter than that.

Those temps are still a very, very serious issue though. 62c is all the processor is rated for before risking damage. I worry about going over 55c when I am overclocking it to the extreme... that should never be touched in normal usage. The reason Skykim hasn't seen the temps shoot even higher is that I suspect like most games, the bulk of the workload is actually delegated to the GPU to handle. There are only a handful of games that opt to load the CPU as heavily as you'd imagine.

If I were you, I'd get a new cooler. It doesn't have to be a serious investment. The Xiagmatek Gaia is a 120mm fan tower that sells for $20 on Newegg. The Xiagmatek Loki is a 92mm fan tower that is $25 on Newegg. Both of them are running in my systems as we speak, and they are at least the equal of anything you can find for under $75.

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
That's high , my 8350 and 1100t idle @24-28c , highest it hits is 51-53c @4.4 and 3.7ghz , I use a cheap MC3002gx by deepcool . Have suggested it to others and they got great results as well , has a 120mm fan on a smaller sized tower , ting is dead silent and does a great job cooling . Also needs no back plate

Alexmcmillan

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Well, just to be sure, I bought a new cooler, a CoolerMaster 212 plus, so far it's working out great and I haven't hit above 35 degrees with it. So I think I'm in the clear now.

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Hey, not to sidetrack the thread, but two quick questions since I've been looking at that cooler myself for ages. First, does it actually run silent enough even at under full load to consider for an HTPC application? Second, what case do you run it inside? I am trying to find a 120mm tower cooler that will fit inside my CM Elite 343 case. Logisys makes great stuff- have had other heatsinks and fans of theirs- but the design just looks so unusual that it doesn't let me know what to expect.

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Yes it really is silent , have 2 and they make no noise , even when running full speed , 1575 rpm , it fits my no name mid tower case , it's 144mm tall so measure from top of cpu to side of case , if you have over 150 mm it will fit nicely .
Just don't use the paste it comes with , clean it off and use something good .
link to deepcool page , gives all measurements . They really have upped their game , bought 2 of their fans , 80 mm and 120mm the rubber coated frame ones , great quality , run silent and push lots of air , and they come with braided covers over the wires with many adapters .
http://deepcool-us.com/Product/GAMMAXX300/

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Thanks, good stuff! I agree they have upped their game. I had a Beta 400 cooling my OC'ed 965 for a short while until I upgraded to a larger case.... I don't think I could have imagined a tiny little downdraft cooler being so effective. Also have one of their rubber frame 140mm fans on the side intake of my NXZT case and it moves more air with less noise than any of the other fans I own. Gonna give this cooler a shot now for sure. :hello:

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Hope it works as well for you , I've been really happy with the Deepcool products , at least the top of the line stuff .The 2 mc 3002 gx coolers I have are great , even for mild overclocking , right now my 1090t is @3.8 running BOINC @100% on all 6 cores and it's 43c after 10 hours , just amazing for a cheap cooler
The fans I ave are as good or better than the Noctua fans I usually use , just hope they last , they don't have a 6 year warranty like noctua that's the only downside .

TRENDING THREADS