Picking the download drive

hachiman

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
Hi

Just installed xp again and as i have 2 hard drives i have a small problem.When installing xp it's made my D Drive the one that Windows is on rather than my C Drive.

Now every time i Download of install anything'it wants to put it in the smaller D Drive.rather than the Larger C Drive and i have to manually change this.

Is there a way i can set it that it always choose C over D?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You could try modifying a Registry setting.

Start/Run ... REGEDIT.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/Save Directory. Right-click on this key, choose Modify from the menu, and change the value data to the file path and folder that you desire. Reboot.

Now ... mind you, I'm not running XP, but Win2K. I'm <i>assuming</i> that the key is the same, (and assuming can get you into trouble.) Before making any changes, if you do see this key, I suggest that you highlight the Main key and click Registry/Export Key on the Toolbar. Give the key a name you can easily identify, and save it in a folder.

Afterwards, if you run into a problem, you can import the entire key back into the Registry by double-clicking the saved file, as if the change never took place.

Be careful working in the Registry. It is completely unforgiving of user error, and there is no undo function (other than I've described) beyond reinstalling a program, or even the entire operating system in some situations.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
once you download something, and change where you save it, it will remember that location next time you download.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?