Strange different results in 3dmark 11

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hi guys. I have a strange problem in 3dmark 11 and my card Evga Gtx 680. If of course this is a problem. Listen very careful.

I have a pc:
3770k 3.5
8 gb ram
Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 1000W

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
301 WHQL drivers

On my friends card Msi Gtx 680, in my pc ( THE SAME PC ), i was have always from 9320 to 9340 points. Just always even on 10 loops. On my Evga Gtx 680 i have between 9244 to 9388 points ( sometimes 0,5 fps to 1,5 fps different on the same tests ). Dont worry about that? My card is fine even on that differences on scores?
I close all background programs. Both card Gtx 680 tested on my pc. But i dont know why my card making from 9244 points to 9388 points in for example 10 loops. While my friends Msi Gtx 680 is making always from 9320 to 9340 points. And like i say on my pc.
Something wrong with my Evga Gtx 680 ? HELP ME , thx. I want to decide to RMA or not.

This is my second after RMA Evga Gtx 680: ( For me its too much 100 + points difference in loops, while on Msi Gtx 680 is only 20+-. GPU score is different i dont know why.

I upload a screens , look down.

Sorry again for my bad Polish:/ I dont know what to do now.

I upload my loops on my Evga gtx 680 and look at this differences in points:

1 score:

http://s11.postimage.org/hks3ajqwz/9388.jpg

2 score:

http://s9.postimage.org/c55ofdf0v/9249.jpg

3 score:

http://s17.postimage.org/jm93gtonz/9303.jpg

Hi

So your friends minimum is 9320 and yours is 9244, so less than 80 point difference and your thinking about RMA-ing your card??
You've got to be joking right?

Come on man, its a benchmark...Enjoy some games. If you really want to beat your friends score then overclock your graphics card slightly..

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Yes but look on 1 loop screen and then on second? Look at difference on GPU score.
This is not normal? Tested on my Evga Gtx 680

GPU score: 9516

GPU SCORE: 9316

I lost 200 gpu points. WHy?

first off run gpu-z on both cards see if the gpu core and memory speed are the same. if they are it may be that your friends card the gpu die was from a better batch of gpu so it has a higher over clock then yours. the new 600 line of gpu it depends on there temp and voltage that max there max over clock. i would also see if your vendor has come out with any firmware updates. if both cards are refrance cards it the firmware and how the nvidia drivers act on each card. i would see if there are any newer drivers out for your gpu.

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Those are normal variations. You get slightly different numbers every run based on activity on the computer. 200 points out of 9300 is less than 3%. Your card is fine.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
TEMILE.....when i turn on computer and run 3dmark 11 on 1 loop i have always near 9388 points. On next loops i have lower scores. From 9200 to 9300...........For me its too high. Almost 2 fps difference. So?:(

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Don't you have heat problem ? Because if its always your second loop I hardly think its due to a faulty GPU. Overheat, compatibility and a few other thing (like RNG on a 1% difference) could be the reason.

Obviously on the first loop the card is relatively cool, on the second loop it would be hotter, the GTX670 varies its clock speed depending on how hot it is, so you may be seeing a variation in 3DMark11 scores because of the variation in clock speed.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
But if i have score different results because of variation in clocks , my card is overheating? Look at my scores. My max is 9388 and the lowest is 9200. So? RMA card?

Nooo, its a feature of the card, its how it was designed to work. It doesn't necessarily mean the card is overheating. If you are concerned about your cards temperatures use a program like GPU-Z or MSI afterburner to monitor the temperatures.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Ok but i have lower scores because of high temperature , right?
Like you say ,because of the variation in clock speed.

So it is not normal to loosing 200 points ( max 2 fps in each tests ) , true?

I think i can RMA that card?

I'm saying its possible that the higher temps on the consecutive runs after the first run is causing the card to lower its clocks slightly, this isn't thermal throttling, rather the card adapting its clock speed based on the increasing temperatures.

I'm 99% sure you don't have a faulty card, I have no idea what you would say to the shop/manufacture when RMA-ing your card if you choose to do so.

You can't RMA a card because there's a variation of 200 points in a benchmark between runs.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1803&page=7
all cards do this even my slow cheap 550ti. depends on the card gpu (each batch of gpu chips from the foundry all have different max speeds do to how good the wafer silicon was.) the real good ones end up being binned for the over-clock version of nvidia gpu cards. one thing you can do depending on your case is add a fan to blow on the gpu to keep it cooler. or add more airflow to your case.you can try running with the side panel off and see if your gpu runs a little faster on loop 2-10. i would only ram the new card if it artifacting or in a game your fps drops to rock bottom.

To determine that you'd need to monitor the cards core frequency using a program like MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z.

Probably nothing at all. 200 points is nothing when it comes to these benchmarks. It's a fart in the wind.

Not only is there going to be some randomness, you may also find that all these runs with your browser open can affect your score a little. If you want the least amount of noise, you'd have to turn off Aero, close all programs including this browser. You'd have to turn off your virus scanner and all your background apps that aren't needed. All these programs take resources and perform small operations in the background and can slightly affect your score. That said, 200 points is standard deviation.

kallamamran

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
If this is not trolling, I don't know what is...

litwicki23: You have to be kidding, right... Right!?

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR CARD!!!