Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PC Gaming Rig Questions. 1500 budget!

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 18, 2012 9:00:29 PM

I am on a 1500 or more budget.
What I am looking for:
A Computer with Nvidia 6 Series Card
A Computer Running Intel

*I am purchasing parts from Amazon to build myself and curious what other components I should use such as case, power supply, ram, etc.

What would you guys recommend? I would prefer a link to each item, if not thats fine.
August 18, 2012 10:16:35 PM


CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($283.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Prime SD1484 90.3 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 2 120GB 3.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake 800W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Samsung S23B300B 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($199.95 @ Mac Connection)
Total: $1227.88
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-18 18:16 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 10:38:01 PM

You all forgot one thing, the OS....
m
0
l
Related resources
August 18, 2012 10:39:11 PM

rishychawla said:
I am on a 1500 or more budget.
What I am looking for:
A Computer with Nvidia 6 Series Card
A Computer Running Intel

*I am purchasing parts from Amazon to build myself and curious what other components I should use such as case, power supply, ram, etc.

What would you guys recommend? I would prefer a link to each item, if not thats fine.




http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4 DUAL THUNDERBOLT)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (MSI N660 Ti Power Edition)
OR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (MSI N670 Power Edition)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (ASUS DVD Burner 24X )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (SAMSUNG 830 Series 256GB ssd)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (Logitech MK120)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus)

Total 1494$ ( 1529 before rebate) for gtx 660ti 2gb
if you go for gtx 670 then add 100$ extra in this.

You can find combo deals of these items to save more money and some may have code for further discount
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 10:44:16 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
You all forgot one thing, the OS....


You can use windows 8 release preview 64 bit till 15 January 2013 till then windows 8 will be released comercially then you can buy new windows 8.
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 2:56:13 AM

For the 560 Ti vs 570
On average how many frames would it get for games like Battlefield 3, Borderlands 2, Arkham City, Skyrim, Crysis 2, and many other games. Will it last a while or will be needing a better upgrade soon.

Also, I kind of wanted a bluray drive and a decent monitor. What would you suggest?
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 8:42:38 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 5:02:51 PM

What about the CPU cooler I know you suggested the Xigmatek Prime SD1484 90.3 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler. Is there anything better?
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 9:08:59 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic... <------ a copy & paste of this always helps


http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Tower-Gaming-CC-9... $118.98 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid Tower Gaming Case CC-9011012-WW

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-PRO750W-Semi-Modular-80Plus-S... $111.71 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping | Price after rebate: $101.71
XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus 750 Watt Power Supply (Silver)

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-CrossFireX-DispayPort-Mo... $149.98 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI W/ HDMI,DVI,DispayPort Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD3H

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-Quad-Core-Pro... $229.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI/ref=ox_sc_a... $33.49 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Memory-Extreme-Masters-PC... $44.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Patriot Memory Intel Extreme Masters 8 GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800 CL9 Memory Kit - PVI38G160C9K

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-AD-7280S-0B-Internal-Drive-B... $17.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Internal-D... $109.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX

http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC2... $198.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7PC256B/WW

http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GV-N670OC-2GD-GeForce-Wi... $399.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 Windforce OC 2048MB GDDR5 256-bit PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Graphics Card

Total: $1,416.10 *not including mail in rebates


http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Buil... $90.30 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack


This EVGA backplate down below fits right onto the back of that Gigabyte GTX 670 I posted up above. Make sure to use the screws that come with the Gigabyte card and not with the backplate.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GTX-680-Backplate-M021-00-00... $23.81
EVGA GTX 680 Backplate (M021-00-000008) -
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 10:49:09 PM

Alright, thanks. Do you think we can make some adjustments downgrades and upgrades. Also, at this price, will I be able to max out games and record them if I wish and render. Maybe even Photoshop?
m
0
l
August 19, 2012 11:10:07 PM

rishychawla said:
Alright, thanks. Do you think we can make some adjustments downgrades and upgrades. Also, at this price, will I be able to max out games and record them if I wish and render. Maybe even Photoshop?

That build will allow you to max out all your games and it leaves you the option to add another one of those cards later on in SLI.

If your looking to cut cost then here's some components to take a look at.


http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Tower-Gaming-Comp... $94.98 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - CC-9011011-WW

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-300R-Mid-Tower-Ga... $61.96
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case - CC-9011014-WW

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Intern... $86.63 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-P8Z77-V-LK-Intel-Motherboard... $145.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping | Price after rebate: $105.99
Asus P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 DDR3 LGA 1155 Motherboards


And if you plan on doing some video rendering then your probably going to want more RAM like this 16GB set down below. Just switch it out with that 8GB set of RAM I posted.

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Memory-Extreme-Masters-PC... $94.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Patriot Memory Intel Extreme Masters 16 GB (4 x 4GB) PC3-12800 CL9 Memory Kit - PVI316G160C9QK
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 1:23:48 AM

Will i5 do the job or should I upgrade to i7?
I am also looking at the 660 ti and 660. Will what do a great job of 50-100 fps on ultra 1080p settings?
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 1:37:34 AM

Oh and sorry for asking to many question (I hope I am not bothering you), but is there any other cheaper sufficient motherboard?
Also I need a OS disc to, so should I wait for Windows 8 or just stick with 7?
Any good monitors you know of also?
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 2:15:32 AM

rishychawla said:
Will i5 do the job or should I upgrade to i7?
I am also looking at the 660 ti and 660. Will what do a great job of 50-100 fps on ultra 1080p settings?

The 3570K will work fine for video editing.

http://www.amazon.com/VS228H-P-21-5-Inch-Full-HD-Monito... $136.40 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor (Black) | 5ms; 50,000,000:1 ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio; Full 1080P with HDMI

http://usa.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VS228HP/#overv... <----- another look at that monitor

http://www.asus.com/Display/Features/Splendid_Technolog... <----- ASUS Splendid Technology


http://www.amazon.com/Asus-P8Z77-V-LK-Intel-Motherboard... $145.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping | Price after rebate: $105.99
Asus P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 DDR3 LGA 1155 Motherboards

or...

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Corp-Motherboards-Z7... $138.45 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping | Price after rebate: $128.45
MSI Computer Corp. DDR3 1600 Intel LGA 1155 Motherboards (Z77A-G45)


http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D28482... <------ GTX 660 ti's @ Amazon


http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Gb-s2-5-Inch-Soli... $97.82 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-120G-G25

or...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077CR60Q/ref=ox_sc_a... $109.98 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7PC128B/WW


http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Profile-1600mhz... $89.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair 16 GB Vengeance Blue Low Profile 1600mhz PC3-12800 240-pin Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit 16 Dual Channel Kit - CML16GX3M4A1600C9B
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 7:35:48 PM

Here are my final parts: (Please change if you feel I can do better. Estimated Prices also)
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case - $72

MSI Computer Corp. DDR3 1600 Intel LGA 1155 Motherboards - $97

Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - $230

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan - $33

MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC Graphics Cards N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC - $300

Patriot Memory Intel Extreme Masters 16 GB (4 x 4GB) PC3-12800 CL9 Memory Kit - PVI316G160C9QK - $95

SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-120G-G25 - $98

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM -
WD1002FAEX - $110

XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus 750 Watt Power Supply - $112

ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor - $137

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack - $91 (BTW is this a disc version?)

Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black) (May upgrade to blu-ray 3D in the future) - $25

Total: about $1417-1425

***I am planning on buying this in December. Do you think prices may cut down? Also, Is the Windows 7 a physical disc version? Lastly, with this build, will I be able to get 50-100FPS on 1920x1080 Ultra Settings on Batman Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Crysis 2, Borderlands 2, and any other game in the future?

Thank you for all your help in the past few days!
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 8:10:26 PM

rishychawla said:
Here are my final parts: (Please change if you feel I can do better. Estimated Prices also)
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case - $72

MSI Computer Corp. DDR3 1600 Intel LGA 1155 Motherboards - $97

Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - $230

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan - $33

MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC Graphics Cards N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC - $300

Patriot Memory Intel Extreme Masters 16 GB (4 x 4GB) PC3-12800 CL9 Memory Kit - PVI316G160C9QK - $95

SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-120G-G25 - $98

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM -
WD1002FAEX - $110

XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus 750 Watt Power Supply - $112

ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor - $137

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack - $91 (BTW is this a disc version?)

Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black) (May upgrade to blu-ray 3D in the future) - $25

Total: about $1417-1425

***I am planning on buying this in December. Do you think prices may cut down? Also, Is the Windows 7 a physical disc version? Lastly, with this build, will I be able to get 50-100FPS on 1920x1080 Ultra Settings on Batman Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Crysis 2, Borderlands 2, and any other game in the future?

Thank you for all your help in the past few days!

Prices should drop by September but that MSI board you have up there...can you link it on here please, because that MSI board I linked up above is the cheapest MSI Z77 board that I know of that supports SLI (dual video card configuration). You want to make sure your board supports SLI.
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 8:58:13 PM

rishychawla said:
Also, will this one be ok?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J8HYQC/?tag=point0...
Or should I just go with the original one. either way I am totally fine with it.

That's a P67 board and you want a Z77 board that supports SLI.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-P8Z77-V-LK-Intel-Motherboard... $145.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping | Price after rebate: $105.99
Asus P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 DDR3 LGA 1155 Motherboards

or...

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Corp-Motherboards-Z7... $138.45 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping | Price after rebate: $128.45
MSI Computer Corp. DDR3 1600 Intel LGA 1155 Motherboards (Z77A-G45)

or...

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-CrossFireX-NVIDIA-Mother... $142.96 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping | Price after rebate: $127.96
Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI W/HDMI, DVI Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-D3H
m
0
l
August 22, 2012 12:49:54 AM

Asus P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 DDR3 LGA 1155 Motherboards - $145

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-P8Z77-V-LK-Intel-Motherboard...

Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - $230

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan - $33

MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC Graphics Cards N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC - $300

Patriot Memory Intel Extreme Masters 16 GB (4 x 4GB) PC3-12800 CL9 Memory Kit - PVI316G160C9QK - $95

SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-120G-G25 - $98

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM -
WD1002FAEX - $110

XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus 750 Watt Power Supply - $112

ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor - $137

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack - $91 (BTW is this a disc version?)

Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black) (May upgrade to blu-ray 3D in the future) - $25

That's basically it.

Questions:
Will adding 2 660ti or upgrading to 670, 680, or 690 give me better frames?

Will the 3D hurt my eyes and can I alternate between the 3D?

Can you give me an estimate of how many frames I would get with the games I previously listed with 1 660 and with 2 660's?

Thanks!!
m
0
l
August 22, 2012 1:25:15 AM

rishychawla said:
Asus P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 DDR3 LGA 1155 Motherboards - $145

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-P8Z77-V-LK-Intel-Motherboard...

Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - $230

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan - $33

MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC Graphics Cards N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC - $300

Patriot Memory Intel Extreme Masters 16 GB (4 x 4GB) PC3-12800 CL9 Memory Kit - PVI316G160C9QK - $95

SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-120G-G25 - $98

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM -
WD1002FAEX - $110

XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus 750 Watt Power Supply - $112

ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor - $137

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack - $91 (BTW is this a disc version?)

Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black) (May upgrade to blu-ray 3D in the future) - $25

That's basically it.

Questions:
Will adding 2 660ti or upgrading to 670, 680, or 690 give me better frames?

Will the 3D hurt my eyes and can I alternate between the 3D?

Can you give me an estimate of how many frames I would get with the games I previously listed with 1 660 and with 2 660's?

Thanks!!

In order to use Nvidea 3D you need a 3D capable monitor and Nvidia 3D emitter w/glasses. The cheapest of those monitors goes for around $350+ not to mention 3D cuts your FPS by almost half. With the vid cards the 670 will get you better FPS than the GTX 660 ti but to know how much better it's best to google the reviews and check out the benchmarks.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-... <----- There's some reviews w/benchmarks to have a look at.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_660_Ti_Power... <----- Tech Power Up usually has some good reviews and there's one done on here at Tom's of that MSI card.
m
0
l
August 22, 2012 1:39:59 AM

What if I put in 2 660ti and increase my budget and buy the 3D Led Asus (i think) monitor. I have no problem but the fact that I don't want my eyes to hurt after a while of playing.
m
0
l
August 22, 2012 2:44:54 AM

rishychawla said:
What if I put in 2 660ti and increase my budget and buy the 3D Led Asus (i think) monitor. I have no problem but the fact that I don't want my eyes to hurt after a while of playing.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-660-ti-po... <----- that's those cards in SLI. That's done on an old school 1920 x 1200 resolution and your going to get more FPS on today's standard 1920 x 1080 resolution.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... <------ There's an Asus 3D on there that's under $300. I don't think it utilizes Nvidia 3D but it uses some kind of 3D with 3D games. I know Nvidia 3D cuts back the frame rates but I don't think those 3D games do that don't use Nvida 3D. Not sure though, you would have to most likely do some googling on it.
m
0
l
!