Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need Quick Help Buying USED CPU + Motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2013 7:57:19 AM

Hello. I've been wanting to upgrade from my old dual core and ddr2 ram motherboard for a while but don't much money and then i came across this ad:

"GA-990XA-UD3 r1.1 + AMD Phenom II X6 1055T - $190

The motherboard is in perfect condition, the CPU is used I've had it for 3 years it's stable oc'd @ 3ghz however I have never kept it oc'd outside of stress testing with P95.
motherboard specs http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
cpu specs http://www.zones.com/site/product/index.html?id=0032134..."

I e-mailed him and asked if the price is firm and he said the least he will take is $175 which to me seems like a great deal. Does anyone have any thoughts? i don't know as much as i would like to know about computers.

One thing that thought could be bad is the motherboard is Revision 1.X and there was a revised version 3.0 i was thinking maybe there was problems they fixed? Oh and he said it comes with the stock heatstink which i will need.

This seems like a good deal to me especially considering after tax's (14%) and shipping i would be paying like $250 but maybe it's not.
January 3, 2013 9:08:40 AM

I'm probably going to buy this tomorrow. I hate feeling unsure though.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 9:15:55 AM

The CPU is all but discontinued but was retailing for about $150 before they pulled it. The MoBo is about the same $140 ish.

The issue here is trust. Do you trust the seller and do you have right of return should it not work ?

Personally I would not want to spend that much on un guaranteed second hand parts but that's just me you may feel ok doing so.
There is nothing wrong with using second hand part's heck I reuse and mix and match all my old parts to make and upgrade the family's PC's. I have been doing so for years.
The difference is that I know the parts are 100% working.

Mactronix :) 
Related resources
January 3, 2013 9:28:04 AM

mactronix said:
The CPU is all but discontinued but was retailing for about $150 before they pulled it. The MoBo is about the same $140 ish.

The issue here is trust. Do you trust the seller and do you have right of return should it not work ?

Personally I would not want to spend that much on un guaranteed second hand parts but that's just me you may feel ok doing so.
There is nothing wrong with using second hand part's heck I reuse and mix and match all my old parts to make and upgrade the family's PC's. I have been doing so for years.
The difference is that I know the parts are 100% working.

Oh yah he said i can test it and that he used it for a while and had no problems. Im guessing he's just one of those people who buy new PC parts like every year for 3 times as much as they end up selling them for. I'm also going to his house so i will know where he lives.

If everything works fine do you think its a good deal for $175? i was thinking about buying phenom X4 and msi 970A motherboard before i seen this but the cheapest i can get those is just over $200 after shipping and tax and neither the processor or motherboard is as good as this.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 9:47:11 AM

Yes assuming everything is as it should be its a pretty good deal.

Score
January 3, 2013 9:48:52 AM

Best answer selected by K K0.
Score
!