Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this a good upgrade choice for my 6570?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 30, 2012 2:45:19 PM

hey I currently have an Acer Aspire m3970 eb30p. http://www.acer.ca/ac/en/CA/content/model/PT.SHAP2.001
I was wondering if this would be a good upgrade for graphics. I'm playing mainly Skyrim, Arkham city, sims 3, d3 and wow.

MSI R6850 Cyclone PE/OC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Wonder how well it will work and open to other suggestions. I'm on the fence if I should just upgrade my gpu and psu, and wait for haswell, or build a gaming rig right now. Any input is greatly appreciated.
June 30, 2012 4:16:20 PM

Hi

Skyrim and Arkham city are both fairly graphics intensive games. your PC is a very solid quadcore and I see no reason for you to upgrade and build your own rig. wait for haswell :)  at that point, your PSU and GPU can both be reused

for your GPU, the one you've picked out is an excellent choice. as for the 6850, it's good, but won't let you max skyrim or anything like that, if you can squeeze out a few more bucks, I believe a 6870 would be a sweetspot for you to hit right now

btw, what is your budget? your CPU is capable of playing with the top end video cards right now, so if you have the cash, it may not be a bad idea to get a more high end GPU
m
l
June 30, 2012 4:30:11 PM

300-400, any good recommendations for a high end gpu?
m
l
Related resources
June 30, 2012 4:42:58 PM

sevastra902 said:
300-400, any good recommendations for a high end gpu?

gtx 670 dominates the high-end right now. withint 5% pf 680 or 7970 performance for $400. Tom's just wrote a review that should help you with your decision of which one to buy :) 
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-tes...
m
l
June 30, 2012 4:50:33 PM

The card you listed is a little over 2x as fast as your current one. Usually anything bellow the HD x7xx series from AMD is only a fraction of the speed of the models above it. That is why you'll usually do good by getting a model above them. I would get the HD 7770, its just as fast but costs about $30 cheaper. It also uses less power so less heat and power consumption. The MSI version support overvolting which will allow you to overclock to higher frequencies.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=EN...

You also you'd be on the edge if you kept the old powersupply. I'd suggest you upgrade to this, its cheap but can take midrange to highend graphics cards.

Also for your cpu upgrade question, since your using an new midrange processor you probably won't have to upgrade for the next 2 years or more. If only you could overclock.
m
l
June 30, 2012 7:59:29 PM

The 7770 was my other option, I'm thinking I might go with it, and potentially get another down the road. I had planned to up the psu to around 600W regardless. As for the cpu I have no problem waiting to at least see details on haswell before I made my decision. But my next one is definitely go to be overclocked.
m
l

Best solution

June 30, 2012 8:11:22 PM

sevastra902 said:
The 7770 was my other option, I'm thinking I might go with it, and potentially get another down the road. I had planned to up the psu to around 600W regardless. As for the cpu I have no problem waiting to at least see details on haswell before I made my decision. But my next one is definitely go to be overclocked.

if you're upgrading your PSU, the 7770 isn't worth it unless electricity's particularly expensive where you're from. the 6870 will get you more performance at a cheaper price. honestly, I think your best option is a step-wise upgrade plan. get a nice PSU (the corsair 600w you linked) with a high-end video card. then upgrade to haswell next year. it's more cost efficient and will maximize your gaming performance
June 30, 2012 8:53:10 PM

vmem said:
if you're upgrading your PSU, the 7770 isn't worth it unless electricity's particularly expensive where you're from. the 6870 will get you more performance at a cheaper price. honestly, I think your best option is a step-wise upgrade plan. get a nice PSU (the corsair 600w you linked) with a high-end video card. then upgrade to haswell next year. it's more cost efficient and will maximize your gaming performance

I would concur with this in saying that the Radeon 6870 is one of the best bang-for-the-buck cards out on the market right now. With a good power supply, it will be able to run almost any game you put at it on the highest it goes, if not really high.
m
l
June 30, 2012 9:02:15 PM

A lot of people have been directing me to the 6870. Would replacing one of the factory hd's with a ssd be worth while?
m
l
June 30, 2012 9:55:37 PM

sevastra902 said:
A lot of people have been directing me to the 6870. Would replacing one of the factory hd's with a ssd be worth while?

performance wise you'll see a big boost, but most SSDs are not built to be written and rewritten upon repeatedly as one would an HDD. that's why most people run their software from an SSD and put all their media etc on an HDD. if you can add an SSD in the case, that would be great. otherwise keep the HDD (you can upgrade it to something like a WD raptor if you want a high performance HDD), but generally I don't recommend running a machine solely on an SSD
m
l
July 18, 2012 2:39:20 AM

Sorry it took so long to reply my internet went down. :(  I ended up going with the 6870 and a cooler master 700w. She's working mint! :)  Skyrim on high res texures on just above high. I'm loving it. :)  Although, I do find the factory acer case kind of restrictive now. haha
m
l
July 18, 2012 2:39:41 AM

Best answer selected by sevastra902.
m
l
!