Your question

PLEASE HELP! (Flickering/Black screen)

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 30, 2012 2:50:52 PM

Quote:
Ok so I have recently built my first computer : http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/aSu3 It was working all good for a day. I started playing Arma 2 and it started flickering and occasionally going black. It the bottom right it said : (Amd) Driver has stopped working and has recovered. It said that about 3 times so I turned off my computer. Now everytime I start it up it gets to the windows log in screen and goes black. I can't even get to my desktop. PLEASE HELP ME :( 

try this. power off your pc and unplug it from the wall so the mb power led goes out.
when it does pull the gpu and then boot with the onboard video and go into windows in safe mode and use a drive sweeper and remove the video drivers for the ati card. power down and then put the video card back in. power on if the card or power supply is fine you should be able to get back into windows. install the video drivers from amd web page and then reboot.
if the system hangs going into windows check the power cables are connected. and that the newest intel chipset drivers are loaded. if you have another pc put the card into another pc and see if it does the same thing if not see what it reads with gpu-z.
if it not the card it could be a weak power supply.

More about : flickering black screen

June 30, 2012 2:52:49 PM

Ok so I have recently built my first computer : http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/aSu3 It was working all good for a day. I started playing Arma 2 and it started flickering and occasionally going black. It the bottom right it said : (Amd) Driver has stopped working and has recovered. It said that about 3 times so I turned off my computer. Now everytime I start it up it gets to the windows log in screen and goes black. I can't even get to my desktop. PLEASE HELP ME :( 

EDIT: Since this is all one big post I will tell you all where I'm at now. My computer http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/aSu3 that I just built gets flickering lines for a bit and then has a black screen even when I'm not playing any games. When It gets a black screen I can't turn my computer off unless I unplug it from the wall. When I turn it back on it's still a black screen. So i've pulled out the video card, ran in safe mode and un installed the drivers. I put it back in, reinstalled the Catalyst control center and the latest driver beta ( http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad... ) and then after a few minutes it happens all over again. What do you think the problem could be?
m
l
June 30, 2012 4:21:32 PM

sweet set up you've got there. and what you describe sounds like a standard Driver issue. may I ask which version of the AMD drivers you installed? if you used the drivers from the disc included in your 7850, you should update it to one of the more recent versions on the AMD website

for starters, do a simple uninstall of the AMD drivers, and download and try to install something like this:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1...
m
l
Related resources
June 30, 2012 6:50:07 PM

Update the Drivers ... and install the ASUS GPU tweak and set your 2d clocks to 500 and 800 .... it should work i had the same problem ... if it happens in games then .. add some voltage in stock via ASus gpu tweak...
good luck
m
l
July 1, 2012 4:07:03 PM

vmem said:
sweet set up you've got there. and what you describe sounds like a standard Driver issue. may I ask which version of the AMD drivers you installed? if you used the drivers from the disc included in your 7850, you should update it to one of the more recent versions on the AMD website

for starters, do a simple uninstall of the AMD drivers, and download and try to install something like this:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1...

I just removed the drivers and installed that one, the exact same thing happened.
m
l
July 1, 2012 4:17:44 PM

Ok so I pulled it out, used drive sweep on safe mode, and then put it back in and started my computer up. I can get back into windows and everything now. But when I install http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1... as my driver and I try to run Arma 2 it happens all over again.
m
l
July 1, 2012 5:01:41 PM

babarv2 said:
Update the Drivers ... and install the ASUS GPU tweak and set your 2d clocks to 500 and 800 .... it should work i had the same problem ... if it happens in games then .. add some voltage in stock via ASus gpu tweak...
good luck

Idk what I'm supposed to be setting to 500 and 800. (I've never OC'd) So when I open GPU tweak There are 3 options:
GPU Clock(MHz) = 870
Memory Clock(MHz) = 4840
Fan Speed(%) = 20
What do I change ?
m
l
July 1, 2012 5:04:21 PM

bryce6622 said:
I just removed the drivers and installed that one, the exact same thing happened.

damn... may I ask which drivers you were using before? was it the drivers that came on the disc?

also, is this a problem only with arma2, or is it all games?
m
l
July 1, 2012 5:26:51 PM

i would email the game support people. i would check that your game has all the patches. right now there working on game 1.6 in beta from there forum. you could have a issue with your video drivers and how the game runs direct x. i would try and download direct-x user install and see if that fixes any of your gaming issues.
m
l
July 1, 2012 5:27:14 PM

vmem said:
damn... may I ask which drivers you were using before? was it the drivers that came on the disc?

also, is this a problem only with arma2, or is it all games?

I don't know what the drivers were, but it's not just Arma. I am now getting lines and black screen when I'm just on my desktop or on the internet. I have removed and reinstalled drivers about 4 times and nothing is working. What could be the problem :( 
m
l
July 1, 2012 5:28:29 PM

Quote:
i would email the game support people. i would check that your game has all the patches. right now there working on game 1.6 in beta from there forum. you could have a issue with your video drivers and how the game runs direct x. i would try and download direct-x user install and see if that fixes any of your gaming issues.

I found out that it's not just Arma 2. I was running Minecraft and this happened and my comp went black screen again.
m
l
July 2, 2012 3:13:13 PM

mem clock to 500
AND GPU CLOCK TO 800
but remember that u only have to change 2d clock their will be an option at top which will probably show 3d u have to select 2d!
m
l
July 2, 2012 7:03:42 PM

babarv2 said:
mem clock to 500
AND GPU CLOCK TO 800
but remember that u only have to change 2d clock their will be an option at top which will probably show 3d u have to select 2d!

And this will fix my problems? And do I download the Catalyst control center AND the latest beta patch or just one of them?
m
l
July 3, 2012 3:05:19 AM

Also do I have IGP turned off, is that what I'm supposed to do?
m
l
July 3, 2012 6:19:01 PM

yes install the 12.4 driver.
m
l
July 3, 2012 7:27:41 PM

babarv2 said:
yes install the 12.4 driver.

make that the 12.3... 12.4 was horribly buggy
m
l
July 4, 2012 11:06:36 PM

Ok I put my video card in, the one beep goes off meaning everything is all good, and then no picture comes on my monitor. The HDMI cable is plugged into my video card and I don't know why there is no picture. Is my video card a dud? Should I RMA it?
m
l
!