Gigabyte GTX 560 ti Not Detected

boeotus

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Hello everyone. After searching the site and trying the suggestions I could find, I'm still having a problem.

I recently built my first pc. I put everything together, installed windows then started installing drivers. When I tried to install the nvidia driver from their website it said: We could not find any NVIDIA products within your system. So I looked in the device manger and the only thing that showed up for a graphics card was the integrated graphics.

I turned off my computer (and unplugged it), reseated the card, double checked that the two 6 pin power connectors were connected, plugged it back in and turned it on. Still the same thing, the fans were spinning but the card wasn't detected. I disabled the integrated graphics, restarted my computer and still nothing. So I made sure everything else was updated (installed the updated bios, chipset, etc), tried a few different suggestions I had found online and nothing worked.

I sent back the card to newegg and they shipped me a new one. Plugged it in and the same thing. At this point I'm beyond frustrated and the only other thing I can think of is that the pci slot on my motherboard is bad (I tried the card in both of the slots on my board). So I order a new (and different) board, a Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3.

New board arrives, I get everything hooked up to it and power it on. This motherboard has a led for the graphics card that lights up when you power on the computer. If it stays on there is a problem, the light goes off like it is suppose to. The fans power on (full blast at first then throttle down after a few seconds) but still the card isn't being detected. I even formated my hard drive and reinstalled windows to see if that helped. Nothing.

So my question is what am I doing wrong?

PC SPECS

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN 3 (original one was an ASRock Z68 Extreme3 GEN3)
CPU: Intel i2500k
Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti GV-N560OC-1GI
Ram: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Power Supply: Rosewill 750W
Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit

Sorry its so long but I figured it would make things go faster if I put as much info in the first post as I could. Thanks for your time.

Solution

sometimes it's not really the card's build quality, but the local postal/UPS office. I've heard and see boxes that are always damaged in a similar way delivered to the same address, presumably due to some guy throwing them onto a truck to show off his bi-cepts or something...

are the shipping boxes visibly damaged in any similar way?
you're doing nothing wrong... do you have any other video cards lying around that you can plug in and double check if it'll be detected? I have a feeling your 560ti is a dud and needs to be RMAed. my gf had a 560ti that did the same thing

boeotus

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

No unfortunately I don't have another graphic card to try. If its the card again I might see about buying a different brand or a different card all together. Two DOA cards in a row is kind of ridiculous or just really bad luck I guess. I figured the chances of them sending me another dead card was pretty low that's why I decided to order a different motherboard instead of sending the card back again.

sometimes it's not really the card's build quality, but the local postal/UPS office. I've heard and see boxes that are always damaged in a similar way delivered to the same address, presumably due to some guy throwing them onto a truck to show off his bi-cepts or something...

are the shipping boxes visibly damaged in any similar way?

Solution

boeotus

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

I didn't even think about them getting damaged in shipping. The box that the first came in was smashed pretty good. I didn't think to much about it because everything in the box looked ok. My first motherboard and cpu came in that box and everything else seemed to work. The box that the second card came in was banged up but not early as bad. If I end up having to return the graphic card to newegg should I add a note in the RMA about the boxes being damaged? I picked the 3 day UPS shipping when I order both of them, I wonder if picking Fedex would fix the problem.

yes, if you RMA again you should definately add a note about damaged during shipping. you don't need to pay for fedex if you're getting free 3-day. it's Newegg's problem with UPS, and I"m sure a note from Newegg to UPS to tell them to be careful would help a lot

one thing before you rma the video cards...have you gone to intel web site and downloaded the intel chipset drivers??
if the chipset drivers are not installed then the pci bus wont work right. the other issue are you putting the card into the right video slot..if you are have you tried the other slots??

boeotus

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Yep I've downloaded the chipset driver and I've tried the other video slots. There is one video slot on the bottom of the board that I can't use because my card is too big and hits the psu. But the other two video slots are the ones recommended for use anyway. The top two are PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 slots, the bottom one is a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot.

boeotus

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

I searched through my bios, and unless I missed it, there isn't an option to change the pci speed.