Self-build- Are these components 'good' together??

j_crerar

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Hey guys,

Have a pretty basic understanding of various components and after quite a bit of research, have decided to go with this system:

CPU: i7 3770K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 Water Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX
Memory: 16GB Corsair 1866mHz Vengeance (2x8GB)
HDD: Corsair 60GB SSD
Graphics Card: Onboard Video
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus
PSU: 600W Xigmatek

All comes to £805.91

Will these components work well together?? I know there isn't a graphics card or much HDD space but for the time being I will be transferring a 9800GT and a 2TB SATA from my current PC with the plan to get a better GPU in a few months.

I will be mainly using the PC for audio related work, is this a suitable build? Also want to do some decent gaming on it too though ;-)

Many thanks,

J

Looks good, but make sure that ram is on your mobo supported memory list. A lot of boards have trouble with 8GB sticks. I mean do you really need 16GB of memory anyways??

Xigmatek psu's are crap, what's your psu budget?

j_crerar

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Ok thanks, I think the mobo can take 8gb sticks as it only has 4 slots but can support 32gb RAM... Do I need that much? I'm not sure. I need it to handle intensive amounts of plug ins in my DAW for audio work and it's also vital I can export mixdowns quickly. Is the latter particularly RAM intensive? I've chosen a quick CPU and SSD drive (only going to be using the SSD for 'productions in progress' then back up to SATA) to make sure the export speeds are quick.

Is the PSU really that crap? The equivalent Corsair is £30 more (albeit for 50W more) and am already spending way more than I initially set out to, although that was always going to happen ;-) Thanks for your advice!