Controlling Cursor Position

June 16, 2005 5:45:53 PM

Hi All,

I've got a user who has difficulty locating the cursor (not the carat) on
his screen due to poor eyesight. His cursor is currently set up such that
it is black so that it contrasts with most apps, the tail is turned on, and
his CTL key is set to display the position. However, he apparently is still
having difficulty locating it. He thinks that if a key can be programmed to
make the cursor 'jump' to the upper left corner of his display would do the
trick.

Anyone know if such a thing can be done and if so, how?

Thanks & Ciao,

Tony
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 6:02:30 PM

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:45:53 -0500, Tony wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've got a user who has difficulty locating the cursor (not the carat) on
> his screen due to poor eyesight. His cursor is currently set up such that
> it is black so that it contrasts with most apps, the tail is turned on, and
> his CTL key is set to display the position. However, he apparently is still
> having difficulty locating it. He thinks that if a key can be programmed to
> make the cursor 'jump' to the upper left corner of his display would do the
> trick.
>
> Anyone know if such a thing can be done and if so, how?
>
> Thanks & Ciao,
>
> Tony

This sounds like something that would be offered as an option in the
software included with a mouse. Have not heard of any other software that
offers such an option but someone who has may show up in your thread.

Alternative:

Personally, I've installed a customized cursor set that I can easily see
when glancing up at my monitors. I also use a program called Cursor XP
(www.stardock.com) to manage and apply many cursor sets that I've acquired.
The program is purely for convenience's sake as no extra software is really
needed to use different cursors.

There are cursor sets available on the internet -some free, some to buy. A
search on google will turn up many sites to explore.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Why doesn't he just move his hand forward and to the left?

Sounds daft but this will put the cursor in the top left corner every time
;)

Andy
June 17, 2005 9:49:15 AM

"Tony" <|toxendine|@hoopercorp.com> wrote in message
| Hi All,
|
| I've got a user who has difficulty locating the cursor (not the carat) on
| his screen due to poor eyesight. His cursor is currently set up such that
| it is black so that it contrasts with most apps, the tail is turned on,
and
| his CTL key is set to display the position. However, he apparently is
still
| having difficulty locating it. He thinks that if a key can be programmed
| make the cursor 'jump' to the upper left corner of his display would do
the
| trick.
|
| Anyone know if such a thing can be done and if so, how?
|
| Thanks & Ciao,
|
| Tony

Simply moves the cursor to the specified location in the 'X Position' and 'Y
Position' fields after a user specified amount of time.

http://www.thecodeproject.com/dll/ParkMouse.asp

--
Doug

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:30:11 PM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 05:49:15 -0400, HillBillyBuddhist wrote:

> Simply moves the cursor to the specified location in the 'X Position' and 'Y
> Position' fields after a user specified amount of time.
>
> http://www.thecodeproject.com/dll/ParkMouse.asp

Very cool find, Doug!

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the response. We've tried some custom cursors to no avail. I'll
check out the link - sounds like it may a viable option.

Ciao,

Tony

news:o sOtaXqcFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:45:53 -0500, Tony wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've got a user who has difficulty locating the cursor (not the carat) on
>> his screen due to poor eyesight. His cursor is currently set up such
>> that
>> it is black so that it contrasts with most apps, the tail is turned on,
>> and
>> his CTL key is set to display the position. However, he apparently is
>> still
>> having difficulty locating it. He thinks that if a key can be programmed
>> make the cursor 'jump' to the upper left corner of his display would do
>> the
>> trick.
>>
>> Anyone know if such a thing can be done and if so, how?
>>
>> Thanks & Ciao,
>>
>> Tony
>
> This sounds like something that would be offered as an option in the
> software included with a mouse. Have not heard of any other software that
> offers such an option but someone who has may show up in your thread.
>
> Alternative:
>
> Personally, I've installed a customized cursor set that I can easily see
> when glancing up at my monitors. I also use a program called Cursor XP
> (www.stardock.com) to manage and apply many cursor sets that I've
> acquired.
> The program is purely for convenience's sake as no extra software is
> really
> needed to use different cursors.
>
> There are cursor sets available on the internet -some free, some to buy. A
> search on google will turn up many sites to explore.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
June 17, 2005 5:51:07 PM

Hey Andrew,

Yup, tried that but you know how users can be sometimes... Nice guy but
just really bad eyesight. Not only can't he find the cursor, he complains
that he can't see scrollbars...

Ciao,

Tony

"Andrew Bailey" <andy.j.bailey@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Why doesn't he just move his hand forward and to the left?
>
> Sounds daft but this will put the cursor in the top left corner every time
> ;)
>
> Andy

June 17, 2005 5:52:31 PM

Thanks for the reply & the link, Doug. I'll take a look at the code - may
be useful in other places.

Ciao,

Tony

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
news:o ff3RHycFHA.1324@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> "Tony" <|toxendine|@hoopercorp.com> wrote in message
> | Hi All,
> |
> | I've got a user who has difficulty locating the cursor (not the carat)
> on
> | his screen due to poor eyesight. His cursor is currently set up such
> that
> | it is black so that it contrasts with most apps, the tail is turned on,
> and
> | his CTL key is set to display the position. However, he apparently is
> still
> | having difficulty locating it. He thinks that if a key can be
> programmed
> | make the cursor 'jump' to the upper left corner of his display would do
> the
> | trick.
> |
> | Anyone know if such a thing can be done and if so, how?
> |
> | Thanks & Ciao,
> |
> | Tony
>
> Simply moves the cursor to the specified location in the 'X Position' and
> 'Y
> Position' fields after a user specified amount of time.
>
> http://www.thecodeproject.com/dll/ParkMouse.asp
>
> --
> Doug
>
> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :)
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 12:55:19 AM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:51:07 -0500, "Tony"
<|toxendine|@hoopercorp.com> wrote:

>Yup, tried that but you know how users can be sometimes... Nice guy but
>just really bad eyesight. Not only can't he find the cursor, he complains
>that he can't see scrollbars...

Right click on the desktop, select properties, and help him use
Themes or Appearance to set up the colors so that he can see the
screen better.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Modern cyberspace is a deadly festering swamp, teeming with
dangerous programs such as "viruses," "worms," "Trojan horses,"
and "licensed Microsoft software" that can take over your
computer and render it useless. --Dave Barry
!