LCD Monitors - contrast ratio?

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2005 9:19:10 AM

I assume most of us use computers to view our digital photos, so a
question re LCD monitors should be OK here.

I have a 15" monitor I got with my computer over a year ago. Like
cameras, they are continually coming down in price, and I'd like to get
a 19" one. In a flyer from the local Staples they have several on
sale, but all seem to have different contrast ratios, varying from
450:1 to 800:1. I don't know anything about contrast ratio, but would
assume one of 800:1 would be better than 450:1. But the 800:1 is the
cheapest one.

What is actually the best to look for - a high ratio, or a lower one?

Thanks!

Bob B
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2005 4:26:41 PM

I assume most of us use computers to view our digital photos, so a
question re LCD monitors should be OK here.

I have a 15" monitor I got with my computer over a year ago. Like
cameras, they are continually coming down in price, and I'd like to get
a 19" one. In a flyer from the local Staples they have several on
sale, but all seem to have different contrast ratios, varying from
450:1 to 800:1. I don't know anything about contrast ratio, but would
assume one of 800:1 would be better than 450:1. But the 800:1 is the
cheapest one.

>What is actually the best to look for - a high >ratio, or a lower one?

>Thanks!

>Bob B

as far as i know the higher the contrast ratio the "better" rgds to all from TBM...
September 7, 2005 6:32:23 PM

"railfan" <arailfan@post.com> wrote in message
>I assume most of us use computers to view our digital photos, so a
> question re LCD monitors should be OK here.
>
> I have a 15" monitor I got with my computer over a year ago. Like
> cameras, they are continually coming down in price, and I'd like to get
> a 19" one. In a flyer from the local Staples they have several on
> sale, but all seem to have different contrast ratios, varying from
> 450:1 to 800:1. I don't know anything about contrast ratio, but would
> assume one of 800:1 would be better than 450:1. But the 800:1 is the
> cheapest one.
>
> What is actually the best to look for - a high ratio, or a lower one?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bob B

Hi,

Actually an LCD is not the best for photography, CRTs are still better for
that, unless you are willing to spend a lot of money on a top end LCD.

You would get a good quality19" CRT (Iiyama - Phillips) for about £130- £200
in the UK and probably a lot less in the US.

Roy G
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2005 6:57:34 PM

In article <XRCTe.9180$VB1.538@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Roy
<royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote:

> Actually an LCD is not the best for photography, CRTs are still better for
> that, unless you are willing to spend a lot of money on a top end LCD.

indeed. I have computers all over the house, and for photographs an old
Mitsubishi Diamondtron 17" is better than my latest (and very high end)
20" LCD. Looks better AND is closer to what my printers put out.
September 8, 2005 2:43:53 AM

"Scott Schuckert" <not@aol.com> wrote in message
> In article <XRCTe.9180$VB1.538@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Roy
> <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Actually an LCD is not the best for photography, CRTs are still better
>> for
>> that, unless you are willing to spend a lot of money on a top end LCD.
>
> indeed. I have computers all over the house, and for photographs an old
> Mitsubishi Diamondtron 17" is better than my latest (and very high end)
> 20" LCD. Looks better AND is closer to what my printers put
out.

Hi,

Well that should not really come as too much of a surprise.

Your Mitsubishi Diamondtron is reckoned to be one of the best Monitors for
photography, and it probably cost a lot less than your high end Flat Panel.

The problem nowadays is trying to find a reasonable quality CRT with
Aperture Grill, Iiyama only seems to have one. Mind you I suspect that even
a modest Shadow Mask CRT is going to out perform any of the low to medium
priced LCDs.

Roy G
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
September 8, 2005 3:38:17 AM

Contrast ratio is the ability of the screen to grade from white -> gray
.................... -> black.
So a 1000:1 contrast ratio screen would definitely be more detailed, esp in
the shadowed area.

I used a 300:1 screen til 800:1 now, personally .. I can see more flaws in
my photos now than before :)
btw besides contrast ratio, you also need to see the response time. Anything
less than 25ms is good enough for DVD playback, but for gamers, 8ms is
adviseable.

also Bob

"railfan" <arailfan@post.com> wrote in message
>I assume most of us use computers to view our digital photos, so a
> question re LCD monitors should be OK here.
>
> I have a 15" monitor I got with my computer over a year ago. Like
> cameras, they are continually coming down in price, and I'd like to get
> a 19" one. In a flyer from the local Staples they have several on
> sale, but all seem to have different contrast ratios, varying from
> 450:1 to 800:1. I don't know anything about contrast ratio, but would
> assume one of 800:1 would be better than 450:1. But the 800:1 is the
> cheapest one.
>
> What is actually the best to look for - a high ratio, or a lower one?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bob B

September 8, 2005 9:59:05 PM

Roy wrote:

> Your Mitsubishi Diamondtron is reckoned to be one of the best Monitors for
> photography, and it probably cost a lot less than your high end Flat Panel.

Depends how long ago he bought it. For the price I paid for a
16"-visible Iiyama with Diamondtron I could get a 20" Apple Cinema
Display today.

> The problem nowadays is trying to find a reasonable quality CRT with
> Aperture Grill, Iiyama only seems to have one. Mind you I suspect that even
> a modest Shadow Mask CRT is going to out perform any of the low to medium
> priced LCDs.

Possibly, but there's no going back after you've had Trinitron or
similar. Iiyama do a 22" (VMPro 514) and a 19" (VMPro 454) which
look pretty tasty. The trouble is that you can get a Dell 2001FP
for the same money as a VMPro 514, and that's a good panel from
what I've seen.

- Len
!