SB LIVE X GAMER POS NEED HELP

G

i've invested many hours trying to get my sb live 5.1 x gamer to work. my speakers sound great when i play cds, but the left channel crackles with all wave, mp3, etc files. i've tried quite a number of things: reinstalled latest drivers, switched card slots, etc. My computer configuration:

win 98
athlon 1.33
asus a7m266 mobo
geforce 2 ultra
256 pc2100 ram

I WILL PAY $20 VIA PAYPAL TO THE FIRST PERSON THAT CAN PROVIDE DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO GET MY CARD WORKING!!! OFFER EXPIRES 9/15/01

THANKS!!!

BuGaLoU

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Install in PCI slot #3, may help

Also get the latest drivers. Make sure it isn't sharing IRQs with any major devices like a RAId controller, or IDE interface.

Are you using the Digital DIN or analog outs?

I had a similar problem with a live and it ened up it was broke an di had to get a replace ment.

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Sell that SB LIVE X GAMER POS at Ebay and buy a Philips Acoustic Edge, that will solve ALL your problems.
Now, when are you giving me my $20???

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

G

Heheh. I agree with Stick e Mouse on this one. I have an A7M266 and had a SBlive! and TNT2 Ultra video card in that system when I first started. When I switched over to a Geforce3 vid card, I had all kinds of nasty hard drive corruption issues pop up. Reloading your system every other day is a major drag, let me tell you. I tried everything including BIOS updates, 4-in-1 updates, switching PCI slots, etc. Nothing fixed the problem. Since so many posts I read traced things back to Via/Sblive! DMA issues, I finally broke down and got a different sound card. As soon as I installed my Philips Acoustic Edge, all problems went away immediately. It has been running rock stable for over 4 months now.

I know it stinks to give up on "fixing" issues like this and to ditch an expensive sound card. Fortunately I was able to sell my SBlive! Platinum 5.1 to a friend for only a small loss. At some point I decided my time and sanity were worth the bucks to buy the Acoustic Edge. I think I made the right decision.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Here is another solution for you not listed yet, you can find it on Creative's web site <A HREF="http://www.soundblaster.com/support/faq/welcome.asp?cat=5&faqtype=2" target="_new">here</A>. Go down to the "other" and then select <font color=red>"I experienced a popping/cracking sound during recording and playback when using my Sound Blaster Live! on my Win98 system. Why is this so?"</font color=red>. try it, I hope that it works for you.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

So Creative's solution for using their cards with Via chipsets is to disable DMA on the IDE BUS. Some solution. Might as well say, "In order to use our sound cards with a Via chipset, you should cripple the performance of your hard drive." Then they say to stay tuned to Via for driver updates. In other words, Creative has no real solution for the problem.

I know Via shares the majority of the blame for these problems, but isn't it strange that Creative soundcards tend to have the most trouble with Via chipsets? I blame them both.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Forget the SoundBlaster Live!, get the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz! After installing the latest driver update, it sounds vastly superior to the SBLive!5.1 I traded (yes, I traded my SB Live! 5.1 for the TB Santa Cruz). All it's prior CPU utilization issues are gone! It now uses up even less CPU time than the Acoustic Edge based on my personal tests.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor