Trying to Build an All-Around Computer. (with a twist)

First off this will be MY first build but I have a couple of friends who have built rigs that will help me once I have my components.

I'm trying to build a PC that is both good for some gaming use as well as Solidworks. But here's the twist, I'd like all the components to be compatible with Apple OSX as well. (I want to run windows and OSX) (dont flame at me for this)

If its possible that is.

Budget: $1500-2000 (I dont want to be cheap but I dont want to spend all of it if I dont have to)

Case: dont have one picked out yet but I know I want a functional yet stylish case, size doesn't matter, this rig will be built and kept in one spot;

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, Solidworks, HD video editing, graphical stuff (photoshop etc.)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: yes, part of the budget if possible

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com/amazon.com (willing to try others)

Parts Preferences: Whatever works best

Overclocking: if necessary

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080p

I'm open to any and all ideas/help.

I will probably be purchasing/building around mid September and would like to have a full list of components by then.

Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about trying build around computer with twist
  1. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1353.90
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-19 14:44 EDT-0400)
    If you want a bigger SSD, add it. I personally don't think photoshop requires an HT processor, but if you think it will help you, add it.
  2. this site will tell you what parts to buy to build a hackintosh system
    http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Hackintosh systems are extremely difficult to build (not physically of course) because installing OS X to work with all of your non apple hardware always proves a challenge.
    If you really need to run mac and windows, might I suggest doing boot camp or running a virtual machine like VM ware or parallels? It would be way easier than the alternative constant frustration that is often experienced with a hackintosh
  3. rsammas said:
    this site will tell you what parts to buy to build a hackintosh system
    http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Hackintosh systems are extremely difficult to build (not physically of course) because installing OS X to work with all of your non apple hardware always proves a challenge.
    If you really need to run mac and windows, might I suggest doing boot camp or running a virtual machine like VM ware or parallels? It would be way easier than the alternative constant frustration that is often experienced with a hackintosh

Here is a build on the higher end of things

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K at $569.99
    Cooler: Liquid Cooling$64.99
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD5 at $299.99
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB at $91.99
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce 670 GTX at $399.99
    HDD: OCZ Agility 3 at $199.99
    PSU: Corsair 750Watt at $109.99
    Case: Thermaltake Element V at $109.99
    for at total of $1946.91
Ask a new question

Read More