Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Processor or New Graphics Card?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 3, 2013 3:04:55 PM

I am planning on upgrading my computer. Either the Graphics card or the processor I'm not quite sure which one to upgrade...
My current system:
AMD Phenom II x4 965
Nvidia GTX 550 ti
8gb Ram
Asrock 970 Extreme4 mobo.

I was planning on upgrading to the FX 8350 for CPU or the GTX 670 for Graphics. What would be more beneficial for me?
I use my computer for 3d animation and video editing as well as playing a fair few PC games such as Bf3 etc.

Thanks :na: 
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 3:12:02 PM

i would keep the 965 and overclock it and get a gtx 660ti
a b à CPUs
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 3:14:03 PM

You would want to upgrade the Graphics first. The 965 is still a pretty able CPU. While it may not be as fast as an i5 its no slouch.
You will get much more performance increase from changing to a 670. The CPU change I would say was borderline a waste of money. Except you will see the benefits of the extra cores outside gaming.

Mactronix :) 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 3:17:34 PM

+1
January 3, 2013 3:43:34 PM

Thanks for all your help. Really great information!
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 5:13:17 PM

Graphics first ...
January 3, 2013 6:18:34 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Graphics first ...


But would it be more beneficial to wait for the gtx 700 series or buy the one from the 600 series now?
a b à CPUs
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 3, 2013 6:43:54 PM

No because a GTX 670 is so much better than the 550Ti you have now, that you will be blown away by the difference anyway.

A decent upgrade path would be the 670 now or the 660 Ti if you want to go with that advice. Overclock the 965.

Upgrade your Motherboard and CPU once the price has settled on the Haswell launch and then look again at a GPU upgrade.

Whole thing should take about a year.

Mactronix :) 
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2013 8:52:59 PM

Well, You could wait for the 7xx series, but you won't get the amazing performance right away. I would recommend waiting for the 7xx series as you get the best bang for your buck, because the 6xx series will be cheaper, and if you really want to you can continue on a buy a 7xx series card. If you can grind it out and wait, do it. March is only a few months away. But if you really want performance now, buy a 670 4gb model and wait for steam roller.
!