Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Accidentaly removed covering for CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus

Last response: in Components
January 3, 2013 3:26:29 PM

So I ordered a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler from NewEgg the other day (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) and read the instruction manual in the box that it came with and tried it out.

This was my first try at putting an aftermarket cooler in, and long story short I removed the protective covering on the retention bracket that the cooler comes with that is mounted on the underside of the motherboard (even though I don't think I was supposed to). I had to use Goo Gone to remove the covering.

Foolish that I didn't read any instruction guides on the internet for this before starting. The manual for this cooler is really hard to understand.

Do you guys think it's still safe to use it without that green protective covering, or should I drop 30 bucks more and order a new one and do it "right"?

Best solution

January 3, 2013 5:15:05 PM

The protective coating is there to keep the metal bracket from shorting out anything when you mount it.

Theres no need to buy another cooler. CM sells the mounting kit for $6.
http://www.cmstore-usa.com/hyper-212-plus-evo-accessori...
Related resources
January 3, 2013 5:34:46 PM

How about if I just stick some cotton balls between the mobo and the bracket? Would that do the job okay? Looks like the final price is around $15 after shipping which is about $10 alone.
January 3, 2013 6:36:21 PM

And how much is a new motherboard?
At minimum use some really thick plastic thats not easy to puncture. I'm not talking like a garbage bag grade plastic but something like blister packaging
January 10, 2013 12:51:33 AM

Best answer selected by jeff0000.
January 10, 2013 12:53:25 AM

popatim said:
And how much is a new motherboard?
At minimum use some really thick plastic thats not easy to puncture. I'm not talking like a garbage bag grade plastic but something like blister packaging

Thanks! I ended up ordering the accessories kit from CM on 01/03/2012 but they still haven't shipped it yet.
!