Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem with my GTX 680 4gb's

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 30, 2012 9:02:19 PM

Hi, I have this problem with my Palit Jetstream GTX 680 4GB's in SLI setup.

I've first had a Gainward Phantom GTX680 4GB, but I wanted SLI and there weren't any Phantoms available in my country. My brother bought the Phantom from me, so I could buy 2 Jetstreams. I haven't had any problems with my Phantom.

But now I have the Jetstreams in SLI, but I have a problem with them. First time I installed the cards, there was a problem with fullscreen gaming. Whenever I started a fullscreen game, the screen started flickering. Here I filmed it with my mobile phone, because recording it with fraps would just show normal on Youtube.
I tried some random things, like changing Physx settings in Nvidia control panel or some other settings in Nvidia control panel. Anyway, the same day it started working, without a good reason. I thought it was because of going back to the WHQL drivers (I had betá drivers before that).

Now a week ago I wanted to re-wire my PC, to get better cable management. I got my Jetstreams out, and put it right back in when I was done. Everything was connected good.
However, when I started my PC again, the problem was back. It was flickering when I played at full screen (Tested with various of games, all have the same problem). This was also when I recorded the video I posted before. This time it took longer to recover. I tried different things, like re-attaching cables etc. because I thought it was because I re-wired my PC. I even ordered a new SLI bridge, to test out if the SLI bridge is broken. (got it for free, because I told the company where I bought my motherboard my SLI bridge was defect)

1 hour after I've ordered the SLI bridge I randomly tested again, and somehow.... it worked! I didn't change a single thing since the last time I tested it! I thought it worked permanently, so I didn't bothered anymore.

It worked fine for days, and I decided to keep my PC like this, and not changing SLI-bridge when it arrives. But now since yesterday, I played a game, and in the middle of playing it, it turned back to flickering! I immediatly set it to "Borderless" because that would give me normal screen (however not every game has "Borderless" as option). I finished the game, and tried to test another game, to check if it was broken again. But no, the other games worked perfect, when I restarted the game again, it worked perfectly.

Today I've had a same problem, I played the game again (same game, League of Legends) and in the middle of playing it, the screen now turned red! Fully red! That colour scares the sh*t out of me when it suddenly appears all over the screen! I alt-tabbed some, and back. It worked for a second, alt-tabbed again, and back. Then it worked again. I switched to borderless again, and finished the game. That was 10 minutes ago!

note: I've had a full red screen before, in the same periods as the flickering happened. So I think these 2 have connections, because they both appear in fullscreen only.

Now I really don't want this to happen again! Can someone help me out, or tell me what's wrong? Is my hardware defect? I find it very strange because it happens so suddenly. And it doesn't have any match to temperature. When it was constantly flickering, it was during 30 C as well as during 60 C. And League of Legends isn't reaching higher than 47 C on this GPU's, so that won't be the problem.

Here are my full PC specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 liquid cooling
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z77
RAM: G.Skill Ripjawsz 16GB 4x4GB @2133
SSD: Corsair Force 3 240GB < This drive contains all the games I play + Windows
HDD: Random 500GB HDD I've got out of an old PC < For data only (Music, Video's etc.)
GPU's: 2x Palit Jetstream GTX 680 4GB in SLI
PSU: XFX 1050W Black Edition

I hope someone can help!

More about : problem gtx 680 4gb

June 30, 2012 9:07:01 PM

kemperkipie said:
Hi, I have this problem with my Palit Jetstream GTX 680 4GB's in SLI setup.

I've first had a Gainward Phantom GTX680 4GB, but I wanted SLI and there weren't any Phantoms available in my country. My brother bought the Phantom from me, so I could buy 2 Jetstreams. I haven't had any problems with my Phantom.

But now I have the Jetstreams in SLI, but I have a problem with them. First time I installed the cards, there was a problem with fullscreen gaming. Whenever I started a fullscreen game, the screen started flickering. Here I filmed it with my mobile phone, because recording it with fraps would just show normal on Youtube.
I tried some random things, like changing Physx settings in Nvidia control panel or some other settings in Nvidia control panel. Anyway, the same day it started working, without a good reason. I thought it was because of going back to the WHQL drivers (I had betá drivers before that).

Now a week ago I wanted to re-wire my PC, to get better cable management. I got my Jetstreams out, and put it right back in when I was done. Everything was connected good.
However, when I started my PC again, the problem was back. It was flickering when I played at full screen (Tested with various of games, all have the same problem). This was also when I recorded the video I posted before. This time it took longer to recover. I tried different things, like re-attaching cables etc. because I thought it was because I re-wired my PC. I even ordered a new SLI bridge, to test out if the SLI bridge is broken. (got it for free, because I told the company where I bought my motherboard my SLI bridge was defect)

1 hour after I've ordered the SLI bridge I randomly tested again, and somehow.... it worked! I didn't change a single thing since the last time I tested it! I thought it worked permanently, so I didn't bothered anymore.

It worked fine for days, and I decided to keep my PC like this, and not changing SLI-bridge when it arrives. But now since yesterday, I played a game, and in the middle of playing it, it turned back to flickering! I immediatly set it to "Borderless" because that would give me normal screen (however not every game has "Borderless" as option). I finished the game, and tried to test another game, to check if it was broken again. But no, the other games worked perfect, when I restarted the game again, it worked perfectly.

Today I've had a same problem, I played the game again (same game, League of Legends) and in the middle of playing it, the screen now turned red! Fully red! That colour scares the sh*t out of me when it suddenly appears all over the screen! I alt-tabbed some, and back. It worked for a second, alt-tabbed again, and back. Then it worked again. I switched to borderless again, and finished the game. That was 10 minutes ago!

note: I've had a full red screen before, in the same periods as the flickering happened. So I think these 2 have connections, because they both appear in fullscreen only.

Now I really don't want this to happen again! Can someone help me out, or tell me what's wrong? Is my hardware defect? I find it very strange because it happens so suddenly. And it doesn't have any match to temperature. When it was constantly flickering, it was during 30 C as well as during 60 C. And League of Legends isn't reaching higher than 47 C on this GPU's, so that won't be the problem.

Here are my full PC specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 liquid cooling
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z77
RAM: G.Skill Ripjawsz 16GB 4x4GB @2133
SSD: Corsair Force 3 240GB < This drive contains all the games I play + Windows
HDD: Random 500GB HDD I've got out of an old PC < For data only (Music, Video's etc.)
GPU's: 2x Palit Jetstream GTX 680 4GB in SLI
PSU: XFX 1050W Black Edition

I hope someone can help!


Did you update your drivers?
June 30, 2012 9:52:09 PM

Yes I have, I currently have the WHQL (301.42). And tried the new Beta (304.48). Both show the same problem (as I mentioned before)
Related resources
June 30, 2012 10:07:01 PM

Test one card at a time (without SLI) and see if something happens.
a b Î Nvidia
July 1, 2012 12:30:05 AM

Now that does suck, it was bad enough when many of us early adopted to Fermi back in 2010 but this is nuts. Wipe the drivers in safe mode if all else fails and then start off with just one card. When you got the first card running right then install the second card. Be sure that the sli connectors and the bridge are spotless even clean with a little alcohol for extra measure. Same for the bridge with a little cloth and a blade.

Beyond that I would bet that these cards like most other gtx680/70s are picky when it comes to what boards they run on.
July 1, 2012 8:55:09 AM

I've already tested them 1 by 1, they work perfectly without SLI, when I activated SLI. It started flickering.

@nforce4max
I think I'm going to wait for my new SLI bridge before I try that, so I don't have to clean the bridge. (Will it be better to apply 2 bridges at the same time, or doesn't that do anything at all)

Also I've already sweeped my drivers in safe-mode before, and installed the WHQL drivers (301.42). Still had the same problem


I still think it's weird, because it now only happens sometimes, regardless to temperature, or GPU load. And only in SLI, and only in full-screen mode! Very weird..
July 1, 2012 1:54:36 PM

kemperkipie said:
I've already tested them 1 by 1, they work perfectly without SLI, when I activated SLI. It started flickering.

@nforce4max
I think I'm going to wait for my new SLI bridge before I try that, so I don't have to clean the bridge. (Will it be better to apply 2 bridges at the same time, or doesn't that do anything at all)

Also I've already sweeped my drivers in safe-mode before, and installed the WHQL drivers (301.42). Still had the same problem


I still think it's weird, because it now only happens sometimes, regardless to temperature, or GPU load. And only in SLI, and only in full-screen mode! Very weird..


Maybe theres something wrong with the second slot where your second gpu is?
July 1, 2012 2:36:31 PM

How can I find out? The problem doesn't occure all the time..
July 1, 2012 2:53:20 PM

kemperkipie said:
How can I find out? The problem doesn't occure all the time..


try putting the first card in the second PCIE slot and see if any problems happen.
July 1, 2012 5:59:10 PM

I will try tommorow, I'm busy tonight. Few questions before I try:

- Will it work, when the first PCIe slot is empty, and the second is used.
- What if the problem doesnt occur, (because the it doesn't happen all the time, only some times during gaming. Sometimes it stays stable for days, and sometimes it occurs for a few seconds, and currently it's constantly flickering. (What if the problem doesnt occur, but it does actually have the problem if I play more/longer?)
January 8, 2013 9:18:04 PM

Got thesame problem last week, update your gtx680 bios with gpu tweak and that's it
Cheers
January 9, 2013 5:18:39 PM

Sorry that I didnt mention it. But the problem had solved itself.. Still don't know what is was.. Most likely my SLI bridge (Ordered a new one, works fine since)
!