SMS over GPRS on Vodafone

Last response: in Brands
Share
August 31, 2004 3:18:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Got a Nokia 6230 from www.vodafone.co.uk and notice in the menu for
SMS there is an option in the default profile to "use GPRS" which is
set to no. Anyone know if this works? I assume not as it would lose
Voda money!!?? Think I'll try it and see what happensanyway!!
--
Munch

More about : sms gprs vodafone

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 3:37:27 PM

"Munch" <dlsSPAMLESS@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Got a Nokia 6230 from www.vodafone.co.uk and notice in the menu for
> SMS there is an option in the default profile to "use GPRS" which is
> set to no. Anyone know if this works? I assume not as it would lose
> Voda money!!?? Think I'll try it and see what happensanyway!!

On some networks it does work, I think it does on Orange, but you won't save
any money. SMS over GPRS is tracked separately, and you'll be charged the
standard SMS price.

The only advantage of using it is that it sends a bit quicker, and will
sometimes go through when a busy network is stopping standard SMSs.
August 31, 2004 3:53:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:37:27 +0100, "David Glover"
<usenet@davidglover.org> wrote:

>"Munch" <dlsSPAMLESS@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> Got a Nokia 6230 from www.vodafone.co.uk and notice in the menu for
>> SMS there is an option in the default profile to "use GPRS" which is
>> set to no. Anyone know if this works? I assume not as it would lose
>> Voda money!!?? Think I'll try it and see what happensanyway!!
>
>On some networks it does work, I think it does on Orange, but you won't save
>any money. SMS over GPRS is tracked separately, and you'll be charged the
>standard SMS price.
>
>The only advantage of using it is that it sends a bit quicker, and will
>sometimes go through when a busy network is stopping standard SMSs.

Well I did try it and it sent OK, but it all happened too quick to see
if it went by GPRS or not. I have no doubt you are right and it won't
save me any money though... :-( I should have checked the data
counters before and after sending to see if it used GPRS I suppose...
It doesn't give the time or date of last data sent etc, just the
amount.
--
Munch
August 31, 2004 9:53:50 PM

"David Glover" <usenet@davidglover.org> wrote in message
> "Munch" <dlsSPAMLESS@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> Got a Nokia 6230 from www.vodafone.co.uk and notice in the menu for
>> SMS there is an option in the default profile to "use GPRS" which is
>> set to no. Anyone know if this works? I assume not as it would lose
>> Voda money!!?? Think I'll try it and see what happensanyway!!
>
> On some networks it does work, I think it does on Orange, but you won't
> save any money. SMS over GPRS is tracked separately, and you'll be
> charged the standard SMS price.
>
> The only advantage of using it is that it sends a bit quicker, and will
> sometimes go through when a busy network is stopping standard SMSs.

AFAIK no UK network currently supports SMS over GPRS, although I could be
wrong. I did try it once on Orange and although the message did indeed get
sent, I got charged for it instead of it coming out of my bundle..!

Ivor
August 31, 2004 11:11:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:53:50 -0000, "Ivor Jones"

>AFAIK no UK network currently supports SMS over GPRS, although I could be
>wrong. I did try it once on Orange and although the message did indeed get
>sent, I got charged for it instead of it coming out of my bundle..!

He he... Well I hope Vodafone don't do that... :-) Soon find out on
my next bill I guess...
--
Munch
Anonymous

"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

> "David Glover" <usenet@davidglover.org> wrote in message
> > "Munch" <dlsSPAMLESS@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> >> Got a Nokia 6230 from www.vodafone.co.uk and notice in the menu for
> >> SMS there is an option in the default profile to "use GPRS" which is
> >> set to no. Anyone know if this works? I assume not as it would lose
> >> Voda money!!?? Think I'll try it and see what happensanyway!!
> >
> > On some networks it does work, I think it does on Orange, but you won't
> > save any money. SMS over GPRS is tracked separately, and you'll be
> > charged the standard SMS price.
> >
> > The only advantage of using it is that it sends a bit quicker, and will
> > sometimes go through when a busy network is stopping standard SMSs.
>
> AFAIK no UK network currently supports SMS over GPRS, although I could be
> wrong. I did try it once on Orange and although the message did indeed get
> sent, I got charged for it instead of it coming out of my bundle..!
>
> Ivor

Whether the messages are sent over GPRS or the 'normal' way they both end up
at the SMSC (Short Message Service Centre). It is the SMSC that creates the
charge record for SMS so they will both be charged. What is less clear is
whether sending the message over GPRS also attracts a bearer cost.

Bet
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 1:45:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"bet no one" <dontemail@noemailaddress.spam> wrote in message

[snip]

> Whether the messages are sent over GPRS or the 'normal' way they both
> end up
> at the SMSC (Short Message Service Centre). It is the SMSC that creates
> the
> charge record for SMS so they will both be charged. What is less clear
> is
> whether sending the message over GPRS also attracts a bearer cost.
>
> Bet

So explain to me how a test message sent with the settings set to send via
GPRS was charged and not taken from my inclusive bundle and one sent the
normal way immediately after and to the same number, *was* taken from the
bundle and *not* charged.

Ivor
!