Windows Explorer start folder & expansion

XPHSP2

Running explorer from a desktop icon with Target "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
/n, /e, m:\" happily starts with the tree expanded from M:\ in the left
panel, expansion box next to the drivename shows "-" for all other drives -
all kosher.

"%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n, /e, C:\" stubbornly refuses to expand C: in
the left panel (the right is OK, as with M:\) - in fact, C: has no box at
all (+, - or otherwise) and refuses to expand the tree when double-clicked.
Other drives still working as before.

I'm sure it used to work pre-SP2. Any clues to a cure?

....Bill
7 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer start folder expansion

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:11:27 +0800, billious wrote:

    > XPHSP2
    >
    > Running explorer from a desktop icon with Target "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
    > /n, /e, m:\" happily starts with the tree expanded from M:\ in the left
    > panel, expansion box next to the drivename shows "-" for all other drives -
    > all kosher.
    >
    > "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n, /e, C:\" stubbornly refuses to expand C: in
    > the left panel (the right is OK, as with M:\) - in fact, C: has no box at
    > all (+, - or otherwise) and refuses to expand the tree when double-clicked.
    > Other drives still working as before.
    >
    > I'm sure it used to work pre-SP2. Any clues to a cure?
    >
    > ...Bill

    I have SP2 installed on both of my systems and do not have this problem.
    However, you're not the first person to post about this behavior. As far as
    I know, there is no fix and do not know what causes it. The other person
    who ran into this was double clicking folders in the right pane to get C:
    to expand.

    I suspect software for an external drive or related to drives in some way.
    Similar to the problems IOMagic software has caused in the past but have no
    way to test and confirm that.

    For the missing expansion marker: Do you use a third party theme or one
    that did not come with XP originally? If yes, try switching to a different
    one. Some themes will leave out the marker next to a drive letter.

    Related: MVP Kelly Theriot has documented on her site that having XP
    installed on a drive other than C: can cause missing markers and drive
    icons. I believe there is an MS Knowledge Base article that mentions it as
    well.

    Sorry I don't have anything more concrete for you. Will be watching this
    thread to see if anyone has new information on the issue.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    > On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:11:27 +0800, billious wrote:
    >
    >> XPHSP2
    >>
    >> Running explorer from a desktop icon with Target
    >> "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
    >> /n, /e, m:\" happily starts with the tree expanded from M:\ in the left
    >> panel, expansion box next to the drivename shows "-" for all other
    >> drives -
    >> all kosher.
    >>
    >> "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n, /e, C:\" stubbornly refuses to expand C:
    >> in
    >> the left panel (the right is OK, as with M:\) - in fact, C: has no box at
    >> all (+, - or otherwise) and refuses to expand the tree when
    >> double-clicked.
    >> Other drives still working as before.
    >>
    >> I'm sure it used to work pre-SP2. Any clues to a cure?
    >>
    >> ...Bill
    >
    > I have SP2 installed on both of my systems and do not have this problem.
    > However, you're not the first person to post about this behavior. As far
    > as
    > I know, there is no fix and do not know what causes it. The other person
    > who ran into this was double clicking folders in the right pane to get C:
    > to expand.
    >
    > I suspect software for an external drive or related to drives in some way.
    > Similar to the problems IOMagic software has caused in the past but have
    > no
    > way to test and confirm that.
    >
    > For the missing expansion marker: Do you use a third party theme or one
    > that did not come with XP originally? If yes, try switching to a different
    > one. Some themes will leave out the marker next to a drive letter.
    >
    > Related: MVP Kelly Theriot has documented on her site that having XP
    > installed on a drive other than C: can cause missing markers and drive
    > icons. I believe there is an MS Knowledge Base article that mentions it as
    > well.
    >
    > Sorry I don't have anything more concrete for you. Will be watching this
    > thread to see if anyone has new information on the issue.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Thanks, Sharon.

    About all I've done as far as appearance is concerned is to select Classic
    Start menu & maybe a few TWEAKUI selections that have faded from memory. No
    themes - third-party or otherwise. IIRC, it was all fine until I installed
    SP2.

    About the only really unusual thing I have on my machine is I use Lantastic
    because I wanted a non-gobbledegook networking system and my old XT still
    does stirling work as a print server....

    If M:\ is selected, the marker appears for C: (C:, M: are local hard-drives;
    D:,P: are DVDs)

    I've installed a couple of custom-actions for "file folders" according to kb
    article 321379, running small batch jobs. Interestingly, when one of these
    actions is chosen, the expansion marker for C: appears. Equally, "expand"
    when C: is selected is greyed-out but becomes available if one of my
    custom-actions is executed - but only if the action is executed on a
    directory on C:

    I suspect it's an improper initialisation bug, so it's in Uncle Bill's
    in-tray for a fix and I'll not hold my breath. He'll get around to it after
    he's fixed the FCB2 initialisation bug from DOS6, no doubt....

    ....Bill

    Did you type it in right?
    Mine & Yours;
    %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,C:\
    %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n, /e, C:\
    See the space between n, & /e, & e, & C:\ in yours?
    Those spaces shouldn't be there.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    For a start you can try using a correct command line, note no spaces or /n.

    explorer /e,c:\

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> [...]

    > does stirling work as a print server....
    >
    > If M:\ is selected, the marker appears for C: (C:, M: are local
    > hard-drives;
    > D:,P: are DVDs)
    >
    > I've installed a couple of custom-actions for "file folders" according to
    > kb
    > article 321379, running small batch jobs. Interestingly, when one of these
    > actions is chosen, the expansion marker for C: appears. Equally, "expand"
    > when C: is selected is greyed-out but becomes available if one of my
    > custom-actions is executed - but only if the action is executed on a
    > directory on C:
    >
    > I suspect it's an improper initialisation bug, so it's in Uncle Bill's
    > in-tray for a fix and I'll not hold my breath. He'll get around to it
    > after
    > he's fixed the FCB2 initialisation bug from DOS6, no doubt....

    David, sweetness.

    I've tried it your way - it made no difference.

    The presence or absence of spaces is irrelevant - both from a theory and
    practice viewpoint. Explorer's strange parsing of its command line is caused
    by the requirement to support folder names with spaces - hence the
    introduction of the alternative command-parameter-separator character
    (comma.)

    /n and /e have a peculiar relationship to /root. According to kb article
    307856, "if you want Windows Explorer to start at the root of drive C" edit
    the properties line to "%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /root, C:\"

    This works, but produces ONE pane with C:\ expanded.

    Changing this to /root,/e,/n,C:\ makes no difference BUT /root,/n,/e,C:\
    (note: simply switching the order of the /e and /n switches) produces the
    correct 2-pane layout (but doesn't cure the
    "missing-marker"/C:-not-expanded-in-left-pane problem)

    Changing this yet again to /root,/n,/e,C:\a folder happily opens 2 panes
    with "a folder" expanded in the right panel only. The left pane shows C:
    with expansion marker AND the selected "folder" and its expansion.

    if /root is specified, /e, or /n, or /e,/n, (with or without spaces) shows
    only one pane. only /n,/e, produces two panes. /root doesn't appear to
    override C:\a folder as it would appear to be designed to do from the
    documentation and its name. Removing the terminal "\" has no effect either.

    So, I've no idea what the point is of "/root" since it appears only to
    affect the interpretation of /n and /e - and make the sequence significant.
    Without /root, it doesn't matter in which order /n and /e appear - /n,/e,
    /e,/n, and /e, all do the same thing (2 panes, recognise C:\ and expand to
    the right pane from C:\ - no marker or expansion in the left pane; if M:\ is
    chosen, same story - except that M:\ IS expanded in the left pane and the
    marker for C: magically appears.) With /n, alone only one pane is generated.

    ....Bill

    The /n is ignored. /e is always a new window. /n in folder view forces a new window even if a folder window to that folder already exists. Normally windows create new windows for a folder unless there is a window open on that folder in which case it switches to that window.

> [...]

    > only one pane. only /n,/e, produces two panes. /root doesn't appear to
    > override C:\a folder as it would appear to be designed to do from the
    > documentation and its name. Removing the terminal "\" has no effect
    > either.
    >
    > So, I've no idea what the point is of "/root" since it appears only to
    > affect the interpretation of /n and /e - and make the sequence
    > significant.
    > Without /root, it doesn't matter in which order /n and /e appear - /n,/e,
    > /e,/n, and /e, all do the same thing (2 panes, recognise C:\ and expand to
    > the right pane from C:\ - no marker or expansion in the left pane; if M:\
    > is
    > chosen, same story - except that M:\ IS expanded in the left pane and the
    > marker for C: magically appears.) With /n, alone only one pane is

    I ran the following batch to gather data:

    [01]@echo off
    [02]echo combo panes left>results.txt
    [03]echo/>processed.txt
    [04]for %%i in (- r) do for %%j in (- e) do for %%k in (- n) do call :proc1
    %%i %%j %%k
    [05]del processed.txt
    [06]set yfc=
    [07]goto :eof
    [08]
    [09]:proc1
    [10]call :proc2 %1 %2 %3
    [11]call :proc2 %1 %3 %2
    [12]call :proc2 %2 %1 %3
    [13]call :proc2 %2 %3 %1
    [14]call :proc2 %3 %1 %2
    [15]call :proc2 %3 %2 %1
    [16]
    [17]goto :eof
    [18]
    [19]:proc2
    [20]:: combo already evaluated ?
    [21]set yfc=%1%2%3
    [22]set yfc=%yfc:-=%
    [23]if not defined yfc set yfc=-
    [24]findstr /b /c:"%yfc%" processed.txt>nul
    [25]if not errorlevel 1 goto :eof
    [26]echo %yfc%>>processed.txt
    [27]echo %1%2%3 >>results.txt
    [28]set yfc=
    [29]:ploop
    [30]if [%1]==[r] set yfc=%yfc%/root,
    [31]if [%1]==[e] set yfc=%yfc%/e,
    [32]if [%1]==[n] set yfc=%yfc%/n,
    [33]shift
    [34]if not [%1]==[] goto ploop
    [35]set yfc=%yfc%c:\program files
    [36]start /w "" %systemroot%\explorer.exe %yfc%
    [37]start /w /max "" notepad results.txt
    [38]
    [39]goto :eof

    The results were:

    combo panes left (where folder was C:\)
    --- 1
    --n 1
    -e- 2 C: with NO marker, no expansion
    -en 2 C: with NO marker, no expansion
    -ne 2 C: with NO marker, no expansion
    r-- 1
    r-n 1
    -nr 1
    re- 1
    er- 2 C: expanded correctly, other drives not visible
    ren 1
    rne 2 C: expanded in right pane only; no marker
    ern 2 C: expanded in right pane only; no marker
    enr 2 C: expanded correctly, other drives not visible
    nre 1
    ner 2 C: expanded correctly, other drives not visible

    combo panes left (where folder was M:\)
    --- 1
    --n 1
    -e- 2 M: expanded;C: has marker
    -en 2 M: expanded;C: has marker
    -ne 2 M: expanded;C: has marker
    r-- 1
    r-n 1
    -nr 1
    re- 2 M: expanded;C: has marker
    er- 2 M: expanded;no other drives visible
    ren 1
    rne 2 M: expanded;C: has marker
    ern 2 M: expanded;C: has marker
    enr 2 M: expanded;no other drives visible
    nre 1
    ner 1

    combo panes left (where folder was C:\Program Files)
    --- 1
    --n 1
    -e- 2 C: with marker, "program files" ONLY expanded
    -en 2 C: with marker, "program files" ONLY expanded
    -ne 2 C: with marker, "program files" ONLY expanded
    r-- 1
    r-n 1
    -nr 1
    re- 1
    er- 2 C:\program files ONLY expanded - no other drives or C:\ visible
    ren 1
    rne 2 C: with marker, "program files" ONLY expanded
    ern 2 C: with marker, "program files" ONLY expanded
    enr 2 C:\program files ONLY expanded - no other drives or C:\ visible
    nre 1
    ner 2 C:\program files ONLY expanded - no other drives or C:\ visible

    Where 'n' 'e' and 'r' in the first column show the sequence of switches (/n,
    /e, and /root,) specified.

    It would seem that if there is no /root, switch then the /e, overrides /n,
    which makes /n, redundant (another apparent Microsoft "switch to turn
    something on which is on by default but there's no way of turning it off'")

    Note the difference in the number of panes when the /root, switch is
    included
    r 1
    rn 1
    nr 1
    re 2
    er 2
    rne 2
    ren 1
    ern 2
    enr 2
    nre 1
    ner 1

    Note the /root, alone or with /n, generates one pane but with /e, regardless
    of order generates 2 panes
    Where there are all 3 switches, there appears to be no rule.

    ....But regardless of the actions and redundancies of the switches, the fact
    remains that NO combination will expand C:\ in the left pane, even 'though
    where the drive/folder specified on the command line is M:\
    e, en, ne, re, rne and ern yield completely correct results for the start
    folder "M:\" (C: marker visible, M: expanded in the left pane from M:\) -
    implying that "/e,M:\" is correct (/n, is redundant but harmless.)

    The question is - why doesn't "/e,C:\" act in the same way - (M: marker
    visible, C: expanded in the left pane from C:\) ?? What happens is the the
    M: marker is visible, but C: has no marker or expansion in the left pane
    (but C:\ IS expanded in the right pane.) When a batch job is run from a
    folder in the right pane under these circumstances (by attaching a batch job
    to provide a custom action as I've described) the expansion marker magically
    appears for C: - which is some progress, even if the expansion doesn't occur
    in the left pane.

    ....Bill

Configuration Windows Explorer Explorer Customization Windows XP