Installing cooler master hpyer 212 evo on asus m4a79 deluxe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

algar32

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Case: cooler master haf
board: m4a79 deluxe
ram: ocz reaper (heatsink sticks up pretty high on this ram)
I have two options when installing this cooler. I can install it so that the fan is closer to the memory and just below the largest topfan (memory ends up blocking about half the fan with this method). Or I can install it closest to the cases rear fan. Which way is best?

Also, I have read so many different ways to apply thermal paste? Is the pea sized dot in the middle still widely used or should I spread it in with a buisness card? Thanks.

Solution
A 2nd fan on your cooler probably won't be necessary. The 212 is a very efficient cooler. Besides, the case's rear exhaust fan is close enough to the cooler to act as the 'pull' fan anyway. If you O/C the processor and or RAM to such an extent that the temps are out of line, you may want to think about it then. But I, for one, wouldn't bother.

Besides, you only have one CPU fan header and 1 PWR fan header on that board, I think. You'd have to adapt to a Molex unless the PWR fan header is available. Either way, the fan would run at full speed all the time adding to the noise.

algar32

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Thanks for the responses guys. I have uploaded a picture with the amount of thermal paste used and I have also uploaded pictures with the positioning of the cpu fan in front of the memory. Just a few last questions:

1.Do you think this positioning is okay?
2.Do you think memory sticking up will interfere too much?
3.Do you think if I moved the fan to the other side ti would produce better results with the airflow setup on my case?

Pictures: http://www.tinyuploads.com/album/view/r2DQsf#2

Thanks.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
TIM application depends on the product used. Generally, the pea size in the middle will work for most applications. But some folks get better results with certain types of TIM by spreading a thin layer. Also, it is often suggested to 'tint' the surfaces of the CPU's heat spreader and the cooler's base first to fill in microscopic pores. Then apply the pea.

Arctic Silver Instructions for example: http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Man! I'm just finally getting my vision back... those are some severely blurry pictures. But from what I can tell, it looks OK to me. If the cooler isn't bearing down on the memory sticks, they will be fine.
Depending on where you are getting your temp readings from, those are very good temps. I like to use Core Temp*. But the real temp test will be with an extended run of something like Prime95... or your heavy gaming.

*If you download Core Temp, go to the 'more downloads' link and get the stand alone version. The main page download will give you some unwanted "additional software".

algar32

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Sorry about the picture quality, my phone takes awful pictures :(. Yeah those temps are just from me browsing the web and were taken from the avg. temp section of speccy (so I assume not too accurate). Thanks for your help. Also do you think it would be beneficial to pick up another evo II fan (for push pull setup) for when I OC a little bit down the road? The fans seem to be pretty cheap 5-10$, do you think I would see a significant enough temp drop to justify buying and installing another?

Thanks.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
A 2nd fan on your cooler probably won't be necessary. The 212 is a very efficient cooler. Besides, the case's rear exhaust fan is close enough to the cooler to act as the 'pull' fan anyway. If you O/C the processor and or RAM to such an extent that the temps are out of line, you may want to think about it then. But I, for one, wouldn't bother.

Besides, you only have one CPU fan header and 1 PWR fan header on that board, I think. You'd have to adapt to a Molex unless the PWR fan header is available. Either way, the fan would run at full speed all the time adding to the noise.

Solution

algar32

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Okay, I will just stick with the one fan. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS