Repair Broken Hot Shoe?

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 7, 2005 11:43:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

The plastic hotshoe piece on the bottom of this flash is cracked
off on one side. Is there a way to replace it? It'd be a shame to
have to replace the entire flash for something as apparently
vulnerable to damage as this, and epoxy isn't working that well.

Does it have to be sent in? Can I buy a replacement "foot" or
whatever that is?

TIA!

Mark

More about : repair broken hot shoe

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 5:10:48 PM

On 7 Sep 2005 07:43:34 -0700, gmark@svs.com wrote:

> The plastic hotshoe piece on the bottom of this flash is cracked
> off on one side. Is there a way to replace it? It'd be a shame to
> have to replace the entire flash for something as apparently
> vulnerable to damage as this, and epoxy isn't working that well.

There are glues specifically made for plastics. Nearly two years
ago the tiny extended "latch" on a plastic battery door snapped off.
Due to the exceedingly small surface area that needed to be glued,
adn which also had to undergo a small amount of strain when it was
used I was almost certain that no glue could possibly work. But I
went out and bought one that did the job, and if you can't get a
replacement or have your flash repaired, I'd suggest you try it, or
something similar. The one I used is made by Loctite and is called
Plastix (Advanced Plastic Bonder) and says that it works with hard
and soft plastic, including polyethylene and polypropylene. It
consists of a very small bottle of Surface Activator and an equally
small tube of the Bonding Agent.

Info. from the package:

> Distributed by Manco, Inc.
> Avon, OH 44011
> 1-800-321-0253
> www.manco.com

> Does it have to be sent in? Can I buy a replacement "foot" or
> whatever that is?

How is one to know? You didn't identify the flash or the
manufacturer.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 8:45:41 PM

<gmark@svs.com> wrote in message
> The plastic hotshoe piece on the bottom of this flash is cracked
> off on one side. Is there a way to replace it? It'd be a shame to
> have to replace the entire flash for something as apparently
> vulnerable to damage as this, and epoxy isn't working that well.

Nor will any other glue as that is a high-stress flange. You might get some
additional, but limited, service from cyanoacrolates or somesuch.
September 7, 2005 8:58:24 PM

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 16:45:41 -0400, Charles Schuler wrote:

> Nor will any other glue as that is a high-stress flange. You might get some
> additional, but limited, service from cyanoacrolates or somesuch.

The glue I previously mentioned worked far better than the
cyanoacrylates that I first tried. Whether it will be suitable for
the flange is open to question, but it's not an esoteric item and
costs about as much as most Super Glues. As long as the flange
itself is not designed to flex (and most hard plastics aren't)
there's a good chance it will work.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 9:31:22 PM

"ASAAR" <caught@22.com> wrote in message
news:o nkuh1ptqrj29r56ppe54tvq0ijqj307nt@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 16:45:41 -0400, Charles Schuler wrote:
>
>> Nor will any other glue as that is a high-stress flange. You might get
>> some
>> additional, but limited, service from cyanoacrolates or somesuch.
>
> The glue I previously mentioned worked far better than the
> cyanoacrylates that I first tried. Whether it will be suitable for
> the flange is open to question, but it's not an esoteric item and
> costs about as much as most Super Glues. As long as the flange
> itself is not designed to flex (and most hard plastics aren't)
> there's a good chance it will work.

Loctite makes some very useful stuff. I am going to check this out as this
household always has one or two broken plastic parts. Thanks!
September 7, 2005 9:35:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <1126104214.619030.319280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, gmark@svs
..com says...

>The plastic hotshoe piece on the bottom of this flash is cracked
>off on one side. Is there a way to replace it? It'd be a shame to
>have to replace the entire flash for something as apparently
>vulnerable to damage as this, and epoxy isn't working that well.
>
>Does it have to be sent in? Can I buy a replacement "foot" or
>whatever that is?
>
>TIA!
>
>Mark

Farily common problem. My old studio kept about 1 doz hot-shoe mts. for
Vivitar 283-285's. Depending on the make, you should be able to get the job
done in most camera repair shops. If it is a sophisticated TTL, especially for
a dSLR, you might be better off stopping by an authorized service station for
your brand. Most business telephone directories (US anyway) should list for
whom a shop is authorized in their ad. If in doubt, check out camera maker's
Web site and see if service shops are listed, especially for your area. If
not, then e-mail the mfgr and ask.

Hunt
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 9:46:11 PM

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 17:31:22 -0400, Charles Schuler wrote:

> Loctite makes some very useful stuff. I am going to check this out as
> this household always has one or two broken plastic parts. Thanks!

You're welcome.
September 8, 2005 3:32:45 AM

"Hunt" <noone@hunt.com> wrote in message
news:D fn8d602e3k@news3.newsguy.com...
> In article <1126104214.619030.319280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> gmark@svs
> .com says...
>>
>>The plastic hotshoe piece on the bottom of this flash is cracked
>>off on one side. Is there a way to replace it? It'd be a shame to
>>have to replace the entire flash for something as apparently
>>vulnerable to damage as this, and epoxy isn't working that well.
>>
>>Does it have to be sent in? Can I buy a replacement "foot" or
>>whatever that is?
>>
>>TIA!
>>
>>Mark
>
> Farily common problem. My old studio kept about 1 doz hot-shoe mts. for
> Vivitar 283-285's. Depending on the make, you should be able to get the
> job
> done in most camera repair shops. If it is a sophisticated TTL, especially
> for
> a dSLR, you might be better off stopping by an authorized service station
> for
> your brand. Most business telephone directories (US anyway) should list
> for
> whom a shop is authorized in their ad. If in doubt, check out camera
> maker's
> Web site and see if service shops are listed, especially for your area. If
> not, then e-mail the mfgr and ask.
>
> Hunt

Hi there.

There used to be, and perhaps still is, a guy in the USA who made, in his
home workshop, solid Aluminium replacement hot shoes for Vivitar 283s. Any
Camera repairer could order and fit them, and they did not cost all that
much more than the Vivitar Plastic ones. In fact anyone with a bit of small
scale electicals know how could fit them.

Roy G
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:18:19 PM

gmark@svs.com wrote:
> The plastic hotshoe piece on the bottom of this flash is cracked
> off on one side. Is there a way to replace it? It'd be a shame to
> have to replace the entire flash for something as apparently
> vulnerable to damage as this, and epoxy isn't working that well.
>
> Does it have to be sent in? Can I buy a replacement "foot" or
> whatever that is?
In a similar case, after glueing failed, I took of the entire plastic foot
with a file and replaced it with a little stainless steel plate with a hole
for the electrical contacts, and glued to the stub. Sounds like a lot of
work, but since the parts are all small it wasn't. Aluminium might be even
easier.

Good luck! Hans
!