Overclocking the i5 3570K

Murderotica926

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Hey guys, I need some help overclocking my new Ivy Bridge i5. I am not exactly an experienced overclocker by any means. The only CPU-overclocking I've done so far is with my old Phenom II, which I OC'd through CCC, which basically does all the work for me. I want to do some OCing with my new Ivy Bridge i5. I know that these things run hot because of Intel's cheapskate decision to use garbage thermal paste instead of solder, but I plan to put on a Hyper 212 Evo cooler + Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste.

My goal is to run my i5 at 4.5Ghz. That seems to be what people expect from the 3570k. I don't plan to have it constantly fixed at 4.5 - only when I need it. Here are my questions:

1. What is the best way to OC this CPU and how? (software, BIOS, etc)

2. How does the boost work? When I OC the base clock, is the boost clock adjusted automatically? Do I have to manually adjust both the base clock and boost clock?

3. What is a safe maximum temperature for this CPU? I've heard people tell me a CPU should never be hotter than 60C (some even say 50) and I've also heard other people say that anything under 100C is fine (essentially any temp before the system shuts itself down. I want this CPU to last me 2 years without any sort of degradation - are there certain temperature points where the CPU begins to degrade or become damaged without being completely bricked?

4. What is a good safe voltage range? What voltage range should I absolutely avoid?

5. I don't plan on doing this anytime soon (if at all), but how high is the failure rate for trying to remove the heat spreader from the chip to replace the thermal paste with a better paste?

Change multiplier in BIOS.
Base clock does not need adjusting.
Max tcase for that CPU is 67C normal running high 50's to low 60's is fine.
There is no std voltage rather just range 0.2500-1.5200volt
Never heard of the issue and people just put on a good aircooler and run 4.5GHz+ without problems.