Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How likely is it that CPU and MOBO failed at same time?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2013 7:20:11 PM

Co-workers desktop failed on him. He took it to Geeksquad for diagnostics and they said MOBO and CPU. I would suspect powersurge to be the culprit, but apparently he has a heavy duty surge protector and everything else that was connected to it (monitor, laptop etc) are still working fine.

Processor is a i7-975 and Mobo i'm not sure about. It's an Asus something. My question is, how likely is it that without powersurge both components failed at the same time, and what would be a decent replacement for a 975. Computer is mostly used for Graphic Design.

Just need something steady that will outperform the previous processor performance since it was a 3 year old build.

Thanks!

More about : cpu mobo failed time

Best solution

a c 190 à CPUs
January 3, 2013 7:58:32 PM

I personally can't picture a motherboard and a cpu failing at the same time unless one of two things happened. First is a power surge which fires them. I would except a bad PSU (power supply unit). The second is failure of the cooling for the processor. While the processor's thermaltrip should shut the processor down at 125c but at this point the board may be damaged enough.

I would believe the best direct replacement for the Intel® Core™ i7-975 Extreme Edition would be the Intel Core i7-3930K or the Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme. However since the Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition was only a quad core you maybe able to get away with the Intel Core i7-3770K.
January 3, 2013 8:03:05 PM

Thanks! I was wondering if a i7 3770k would be a decent replacement.

As far as cooling is concerned, the CPU had a Coolermaster V8 heatsink, which was completely unneccessary being that it was never overclocked. I haven't tried to troubleshoot the computer myself, just helped pick it up from Geeksquad and then volunteered to do it (I was bored at work and quitting smoking so I needed a side task). According to my co-worker, everything turns on fine, but there is no screen. Apparently they already switched out several different graphic cards and none made a difference so it's not that. So it still boots up, but get no screen, at all. Sounds like mobo to me. What do you think? Maybe i'll just replace mobo first, and start from there.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2013 8:05:10 PM

Hi :) 

I own computer shops in the UK..

The chances of them BOTH going are about the same as you winning the lottery (without buying a ticket) ...

Get better advice..

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
January 3, 2013 8:44:23 PM

ayb88 said:
Co-workers desktop failed on him. He took it to Geeksquad for diagnostics and they said MOBO and CPU. I would suspect powersurge to be the culprit, but apparently he has a heavy duty surge protector and everything else that was connected to it (monitor, laptop etc) are still working fine.

Processor is a i7-975 and Mobo i'm not sure about. It's an Asus something. My question is, how likely is it that without powersurge both components failed at the same time, and what would be a decent replacement for a 975. Computer is mostly used for Graphic Design.

Just need something steady that will outperform the previous processor performance since it was a 3 year old build.

Thanks!

It's actually somewhat likely, the power supply could have delivered bad power which could have shorted the CPU and Motherboard simultaneously. A decent replacement for a 975 for graphic design would be the FX-8350, the FX series are superb for multitasking(Graphic designing). Or if you have the money the 3770 or 3930k are good replacements too(better than FX, for more money).
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2013 9:46:42 PM

Any idea what kind of power supply this system had?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2013 9:55:20 PM

ayb88 said:

So it still boots up, but get no screen, at all. Sounds like mobo to me. What do you think? Maybe i'll just replace mobo first, and start from there.

Could be the board, but I don't see any reason to buy a socket 1366 board to test the theory.

And what do you mean by "it still boots up"? What exactly does it do and not do when it's turned on?
m
l
a c 196 à CPUs
January 3, 2013 10:08:07 PM

most times when i see a no post but fans spins i see a power supply with one of the legs out. if you have a volt meter take the power supply out green wire it and see if there voltage output on the legs. one thing to do if there a speaker in the system is take out the ram and video card and see if the mb with a know good power supply beeps at you. if it does the mb is at lest doing a low level post. then add one stick of ram and a video card in and see if there any output. if your company does have some it people and a lot of pc...look into getting a post it card. it at lest tell you if the mb trying to post and where it hanging.
m
l
a c 88 à CPUs
January 3, 2013 10:08:55 PM

They probably told you it was both because they dont have any motherboards of that socket, so if they sold you a motherboard it would need a new cpu also. If the power supply had blown its possible, i've had a blown PSU take out motherboard, ram and graphics card at the same time.
m
l
!