Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Monitor suddenly can't display supported resolutions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 1, 2012 2:26:16 AM

I have a GTX670 I've been using for a while, an LG TV, an Acer monitor, and a Hanns-G monitor. One day I booted and the Hanns-G is detected as a Generic Non PnP monitor and it can't support any of its normal resolutions. I've been dealing with it for a while but now its driving me nuts. I've tried reinstalling drivers with different versions several times, even changed out the 670 real quick with a 560 and nothing seems to help. It's connected with a DVI cable, any ideas?
a c 103 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 2:38:37 AM

try downloading the monitors drivers from the Hanns-G website....or go into system properties and device manager and right click on the monitor and update the driver software from there...I have never had luck with that but its worth a shot
Score
July 1, 2012 2:57:49 AM

It's a PnP monitor so there are no drivers, I've checked. I've tried updating from the device manager too.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 103 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 3:03:08 AM

maybe try plugging the monitor into a different connection on the card? if the monitor has hdmi try plugging it in there and see if it detects it any differently? also here is a link to a thread where a guy had the same issue as you

http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/generic-non-pnp-m...

and more specifically the solution he used

Download Phoenix.zip and extract it to a folder.
Run it and click the registry toolbar button. (This did not work on my Windows 7 , fortunately I had dual boot XP and did it there)
Click the pencil toolbar button for edit mode.
Change the EDID settings to reflect you display's true capabilities
Pay special attention to the Standard Timings tab, enable the one which shows your desired resolution.
Save the EDID to a .DAT file.
Download moninfo.exe and install it. (Started working again on Win 7 here)
Open the saved .DAT with MonInfo.
If MonInfo reads in an displays the settings the way you configured them in Phoenix then...
Select Create INF... from the file menu and save it to the working folder.
Open Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
Select the monitor you want to change, right click and select Update Driver Software
Use the tried and true "Have Disk" method to select the INF and install it.
Reboot and enjoy your new resolution!
July 8, 2012 10:06:38 PM

I can't believe it, but this worked!

Thanks a TON drums101 :D 
Score
July 8, 2012 10:06:47 PM

Best answer selected by tweak13.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 8, 2012 10:57:18 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey