unusual event when burning from dvd drive to CD-RW

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
recently i did a complete win2k reinstall.
win2k. sp2. everything
including of course the Nero 5.05 software that came with my burner.

thing is when i tell Nero to EITHER do a on the fly dvd-cd to cd-rw copy or an image to hard drive it now spends about 3 minutes or so just sitting there. thinking apparently

nero is doing something, but neither drives are active at all during this stage.
the progress bar slowly advances, and it says its checking the cd media (source drive i believe its refering to), but it cant be because both drives are idle.
ive tried going into the setting and turning off cdmedia checking but it doesnt make a blind bit of difference.

also this process seems to take far to much processor power as other things dont go as quick and if i alt tab to something else then flip back it takes 10-15 seconds for the window to reappear and refresh properly.

who else uses nero 5+?
does this happen at all?

comp info:
1200C athlon
a7v133
512mb pc150 sdram
Secondary Master: pioneer ata66 106s 16x dvd/ 40x cd slot loading drive
secondary slave: ricoh 12x10x32x DMA mode.

note: both were working well before the win2k reinstall, so its not the drives as such or their master/slave arrangement.
(infact on the fly from one to the other works great, once the holdup finally passes)
also its not just with copyrighted cd's... i tried it on one of my own compilations and it does the same.

argh.

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thoughts on the subject:

1.) Both IDE channels enabled? DMA selected for the Secondary Controller, instead of PIO?

2.) Upgrade Nero. Burn-PROOF enabled? Be sure the program is set to just write, and not test and write ... or that turns off Burn-PROOF.

3.) Upgraded Chipset drivers ... Busmastering?

4.) Optical drive firmware upgrade? Be sure that the Pioneer is temporarily alone on the the cable when upgrading ... no slave devices.

It's early ... sorry, I'm thinking in sound bytes. Must find more coffee ... (LOL!)

I'll check back later and see how you are doing.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
urk....
ive just got the blue screen of death on startup and cant boot...
wtf did that?
either the official leadtek drivers or the via drivers.
grrrr
well
anyway... before that i had a look at the via 4in1's and it actually says if your using winfast agp vga u should install the winfast drivers first.
any idea if that applies to my geforce2pro card???
i hate these things... ah heck all info on the via page or instructions, and none on the leadtek page i can see.

as for your questions:
1. they were initially set to PIO & PIO by windows (stupid thing). they got changed quick smart. now they are Ultra DMA (for the dvd) and DMA (for the burner)

2. i assume having an official verion of nero 5 allows a free upgrade to 5.5? justlink IS enabled

3. no firmware updates. dont see why when it was working fine before my windows reinstall.
was in the process of updating chipset drivers till it went all bluescreeny on me.

this is the second time ive been unable to get into windows while installing chipset thinggies.

usually a windows repair does the trick. *grumbles*

what did i do exactly? *think*
1.put the large page minimum patch on
2.agp4x/133 patch
3.was about to install the 4in1's till i read that bit about winfast & the 4in1's... so i then installed the official leadtek graphics drivers. rebooted as instructed, then the bluescreen with pagefault in ntoskrnl.exe. ugh.

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Ugh" is right.

I'd FDISK and reformat.

After the OS installation, I'd install (in order):

1.) DirectX 8.0a
2.) The AGP patch
3.) SP2
4.) Additional hardware drivers. (Sound card, MPEG card, NIC card, etc.)
5.) nVidia 12.41's
6.) NVMax to optimize the video drivers, be sure AGP 4X was enabled, etc.
7.) Any other hotfixes (I usually install around 8 of them.)

Afterwards, if all the devices were correctly recognized as DMA (and you might have to change the optical devices from PIO again), I wouldn't even fool around with updating the chipset drivers. Not if everything was running at full speed, with good data transfer rates.

For example, I spent most of the weekend working on a system with a triple-boot (Win98, Win2k, WinXP). The only problems I encountered came when upgrading the chipset drivers. After that, I found myself chasing down mysteriously disappearing optical drives, and reinstalling the drivers in an attempt to correct atapi errors.

I blamed XP's problem due to it being beta.

I blamed Win98's problem on the drivers. Then I cursed a blue streak, because Win98 is, well ... Win98. Stupid, fragile OS. Which idiot dreamed up Win9x's memory management, anyway? I'd like to find him and perform an old Apache trick with a six-foot stake, some rope, and a can of motor oil. When the end came out his head, I'd throw a major LAN party.

Grrr.

Anyway, back to the subject matter. Sorry .. got carried away. <GRIN>

Funny .... but I left Win2k alone, because it was stable. I didn't upgrade the drivers in this OS ... I was too busy with the other two.

Eventually, I just stopped installing chipset drivers, and the problems went away. I got the message, loud and clear.

But ... if you really want the VIA drivers installed, I'd do it right after installing DirectX 8. But DirectX ... first.

I'd stick with the VIA 4.29's ... the newer versions make me a little nuts.

Yes ... you can get a free upgrade to Nero, if you have a registered version of 5.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ill try a repair first...
buggered if im doing a fresh reinstall.

and u must know i despise directx8 with a passion. so many things were buggy with it in my system.
if you saw the openGL 32bit corruption and the laggy behavior and massive memory leaks while running games you might too.

also for all this testing ive decided to lower my fsb for the duration, now running 10x135 instead of 9x150.

last point...
ive tried looking at the leadtek site and they dont have anything dealing with the
via 4in1's, AGP VdX & winfast AGP VGA.
the 4in1 documentation says the winfast drivers should be installed first, then the via 4in1's over the top. but i dont even know if it applies to my graphics card. they just say winfast AGP VGA. suggestions?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good luck with the repair.

Yes, I definitely recall the problems you encountered with DirectX 8, and I'm still exploring those issues. I'm only running a couple of OpenGL games, but both of those in Win98 ... with no corruption and memory leaks. Primary reason for my dual-boot, actually. I decided a while back that I'd rather run a very small, clean installation of Win2k for basic programs, photo editing, etc, and Win98 for games. Plus, I can easily install an image of Win98 back to the Primary partition in case of problems, and it is more difficult to do the same thing with Win2k.

So far, the only OS I've found that really has problems with OpenGL is WinXP. One FPS in the MDK2 timed demo is pretty bad. This bad boy, as with many M$ products, needs a service pack even before the launch date.

I never have been in favor of using modded drivers from a manufacturer for a video card ... they are often based on older reference drivers. In your case, all I saw when I checked out the drivers for your card was "beta". No version number. The ones for the GF3 were based on the 12.90's ... and I really don't like this version; it often causes texture corruption. In other words, I have no idea what Leadtek is using.

For your card, I don't see any reason to use the Leadtek drivers, not when the 12.41's from nVidia seem to be relatively stable.

I've found, when doing a fresh install of Win2k, that it is better to get everything else loaded in the system before updating the VGA driver to a SVGA driver.

And it is still my opinion that if you discover that your system runs just fine without the VIA drivers, I'd stick with the ones loaded by default by the OS.

Again, I'll check back later, and see how you are doing. Maybe you can avoid that fresh install ... but I still think that's the best way to go. Have you considered a dual-boot?

Toejam31

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, are you finished reinstalling the OS yet, dude?

That was a masterful amount of cussing in that last post, and since you haven't come back to the thread and announced your success ... I'm assuming that you had to start from scratch, regardless of how much you detest it.

Standard MS Fix, ya know ... and sometimes unavoidable. Believe me, most of us understand <i>exactly</i> how you feel. Imagine trying to clean up that triple-boot while it was imploding.

Toejam31

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
if you go into the hard drive section i posted a very long & detailed post of what happened.

basically, i had all the symptoms of a classic 60GXP crash.
however dueing further investigation i found that the problem also manifested itself on my other, older, yet amazingly reliable drive in an extreemly similar fashion.
couldnt install any OS on either drive. (lucky i got email & web at work)

swapping in a new cable didnt help.
the thing which finally allowed me to continue was putting all my bios settings to mega slow.

so now ive got 98 installed and running good on my backup drive, and have just finished formatting & partitioning my 60GXP. tonite ill try to put 2k back on it. if it freezes at any point ill replace it just to be safe.

so i still havnt narrowed down the cauze... but it could be one of three things (possibly)
1. bios got slightly screwed at somepoint. hell knows how.
2. PSU was having PMS for a day or so. im planning on a new 350 or 400W psu, hopefully an enermax if i can find one anyway :)
3. my system for some bizzare reason didnt like me running at a FSB of 135. usually i run at 9x150=1350... but a while back i switched to 10x135=1350 to do some problem solving.

so this weekend ill try to narrow down the issue.

see if i was just a lamer i would have gone to the hard drive forum and whined that IBM's suck and im RMA'ing the drive.
but despite my colourful language i try to work things out :)