Build Advice - Creative Suite PC

Hello,

I've been a long time macbook pro user and am looking to switch back in to PC computing. I work mostly with the Adobe Creative Suite (specifically AfterEffects), Final Cut (and other video editing programs) and am looking to build a pretty strong computer for animating and rendering graphics and video. Also I would like to be able to do some light gaming e.g. Portal, TF2, and other similar but not high intensity gaming (since mac has caused my gaming muscles to atrophy greatly).

Approximate Purchase Date: in the next 6-8 weeks

Budget Range: ~$1000, give or take a bit

System Usage: Animation and graphics processing/rendering (Creative Suite, possibly Nuke if I start learning more), video editing, light gaming

Parts Not Required: Keyboard and mouse already purchased (but open to input if anyone has suggestions for options that work well with the above mentioned programs)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I've mostly ordered my computer parts for Newegg and TigerDirect but am definitely open to suggestions of reputable vendors.

Parts Preferences: Would like to have a full tower case, also looking for a pretty high quality screen for displaying work.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 preferred but not required.

Additional Comments: As mentioned above I'm definitely looking for a good monitor. Also I've built PCs before so I am familiar with the process however that was a while ago (2006 was the last time) so any tips are always welcome.

Thanks for any input.
2 answers Last reply
More about build advice creative suite
  1. Here you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($97.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($158.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1092.44
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-19 19:11 EDT-0400)

A little bit over but it includes everything you need.
  2. Awesome, thanks for the input!

Couple quick questions:

I forgot to mention I have a copy of Windows 7 so that frees up around $100, would it make sense to put that money towards getting an i5-3570, or maybe go a step further and get a i7-2600/2700?

Would it make any significant difference to spend another $40-ish and go up to 16gb of memory? or would that just be redundant/I can add more later if the mood strikes.

Again, thanks so much for the response.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Creative Systems Product