7970 low asic quality!

julien329

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Hey, I recently bought a HIS 7970. I'm very desapointed by the overclockability of the card. To get it stable at 1125mhz core clock, I have to boost the voltage to 1225mV. So because of that it's less efficent and it goes very hot sometimes. The ASIC quality is 59.2%, about the lowest I've seen on forums.

So here's my question : Sould I get a replacement and how can I get one considerign the fact that it's been more thant 30 days, so I have to deal with the manifacturer?

ASIC quality's kind of a terrible reason for an RMA... though the overclocability's surprisingly low... I can hold 1125 clock on stock voltages at 1.17v. my ASCI quality is like 64%, not much higher than yours. which 7970 specifically is this? I feel like it's a cooling issue with the VRMs or memory...

"asic quality" is rather rediculous and you were not "decieved". overclocking is never guaranteed. You have zero case to return it if it functions at stock clocks at stock volts, no ones going to take back a card that works exactly as it was designed. overclocking voids your waranty anyway. and HIS is hardly a top brand.

Thought about it some more, did you buy a reference card? AMD's reference design do not put heat spreaders on the memory or the VRM and can limit your overclock due to overheating... I've seen people report ASCI quality as low as 40% on a EVGA 580 ultra in the past, and it still holds overclocks well lol.

at the end of the day, ASCI quality's only important if you want to break world records on a LN2 suicide run...