Sign in with
Your question

Stuttering problem in all games / XFX HD6870 Dual Fan

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 1, 2012 4:32:17 AM

Hi

i'm going crazy after 3 days of trying to figure out what's wrong with my system. In every game i play i have stuttering all 1.5-2 seconds, no matter if on high or low details, offline or online. Although the FPS count from FRAPS or the game itself is steady at high 35-60fps.

I formatted twice now, tried win7 with and without sp1 and now win8 release preview. I ran memtest86+ and it showed me that one ram-rig was broken, so i removed it and hoped it was over. But it didnt change anything. I also tried cpu/gpu over and underclocking, tried various HDD diagnosis tools, different drivers for almost every component. Tried it on an external hdd drive, didnt help either. The temps for gpu and cpu are normal... My first guess was disabling cool'n'quiet, but that didnt help either.

Specs:
Amd PhenomII X4 955 Black Edition @ 3,5ghz
XFX HD6870 Dual Fan 1GB
Asrock m3n78d
4GB
Win8 x64 now

This is it what it looks like, as an example here with battlefield 3 on high and low settings while the fps count is high. On the spikes my system stutters or nearly freezes for a moment, its terribly annoying. Pretty much the same in any other game.

Has anyone an idea?

-----

CpuZ shows me that the clockrate is constantly changing every second, although i turned off cool'n'quiet and have an max-power energy thing (dont remember what its called) in windows configured.
Could that be the problem? it changes randomly, the bus speed and even the multiplier get changed every second, although its mostly above 2,5ghz.

thanks for reading, i hope anyone can help me. and sorry for my english ;) 

bye
a c 103 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 6:39:46 AM

what powersupply do you have? Maybe your video card is not getting enough power?
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 6:42:17 AM

It looks like your CPU is going everywhere. What's the temps of the CPU? Also, have you updated your grahpics drivers?
Related resources
July 1, 2012 6:56:51 AM

first of all thanks for the answers!

- good call on the psu, i forgot about that. it's a be quiet! Pure Power BQT L7 530W. is that too less?

- i tried every gpu driver from catalyst 11.1 to 12.7. also every bios version. cpu temp is at 67 at the very max stress point, i use speedfan to cool it.

i fixed the cpu craziness buy selecting "performance setup default" in bios. it's steady at 3,2ghz now but the voltage is 1.416V, is that too much? i read somewhere the 955BE voltage should be lower
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 7:00:58 AM

did solving the cpu issue fix your performance?

July 1, 2012 7:01:41 AM

no, still the same :/ 
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 7:01:53 AM

That voltage is pretty high.
July 1, 2012 7:04:05 AM

fantastik250 said:
That voltage is pretty high.

ok. i read something about that about 10mins ago, i try to lower it in small steps.

but the idle temp of the cpu right now is only 52C
July 1, 2012 7:13:32 AM

its still not fixed, while i'm playing bf3 right now it jumps between 600mhz and 3,2ghz, and 1.0v to 1.41v...

wtf. i think this cpu is broken?
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 7:17:40 AM

It could be the software. It's probably boosting your CPU. Have you restarted your computer after you changed the performance for the CPU?

I noticed that your in Windows 8.

Can you try on windows 7?
July 1, 2012 7:45:33 AM

i lowered the voltage to 1.36v, still the same problem.

i run win8 only for 4-5 hours, tried it in windows 7 for two days... same problem.

hmm dont know, i think something is broken. maybe the board or cpu. should i switch to intel+nvidia? :/ 
July 1, 2012 7:47:51 AM

still have 20 months warranty on all parts, but i dont know which one is broken D:
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 7:51:30 AM

Not sure what’s going on here but i'll give some ideas and perhaps could lead to other avenues.

* Cpu throttling due to overheating and bios only recording temperatures once its down clocked itself
* Psu could not be suppling enough power to sustain the cpu
* Motherboard screws maybe too tight causing of undesired problems (I've read someone here solving memory issues due to this)
* Hope not; bent cpu pins
* Bios update; perhaps something here

July 1, 2012 7:57:35 AM

thanks, but i dont think its overheating? its 52c right now and when i run prime95 cpu stresstest it maxes at 66c or so

is 550w really not enough for my rig? thats probably the only thing i guess whats possible besides somethings broken.

i tried every bios version availible for this board.

cant even play something "primitive" like cs:go on very low settings without stutter at 60fps...
July 1, 2012 8:03:28 AM

now in idle:
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 8:15:20 AM

Not sure how reliable your psu is. For your rig you may get away with a quality 550w Seasonic/Corsair.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-rad...

A system requirement for a 6870 is a 500w, so perhaps it could be your psu. Doesn’t leave much for anything else does it.

July 1, 2012 8:22:18 AM

ok then i'll try that... also i dont have much hope that it will help, shouldnt the psu get very hot if it would be too weak?

it was relatively expensive and had got reviews, so i guess its not a cheap 15$ thing from ebay.

i just checked here with the PSU calculator:

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

it said i would need 366w o_O

thx again
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 8:38:13 AM

That doesn’t sound right. 366w when AMD are saying 500w, who to believe :) 

Also do the reviewers of the psu have a 6870?
July 1, 2012 8:44:57 AM

yeah they have, also be quiet PSUs... even some with only 450w

6870 needs in maxstress 151w
phenomII 955 be needs 125w
+ HDD, mainboard...

should be around 370-400w

can test it later with a 700w psu, but i guess your tip with bent cpu pins sounds about right :/ 
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 8:51:19 AM

No worries mate, I’m hoping it’s not a bent pin :\ I'll try to think of other ideas until and hoping someone with more knowledge than i can help you further.
a c 103 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 4:51:21 PM

I dont think a bent pin will cause the cpu to downclock itself like that...I feel that it is more of thermal throttling by the motherboard....your temps are pretty high around 50c is really high you want to shave at least 10c off of that....think about it if its 50c at idle then its gonna heat up alot when you are gaming and it is under alot more stress and is sucking in hot air that your gpu produces
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 5:10:06 PM

Sounds like CPU temperature problems.

The Phenom II 955 max thresh-hold temperature is 62c IIRC, this is when it'll throttle or shutdown, the PSU is more than enough to run that system - with 480W (40A) on the +12V rail - your system hardly draws ~300w max load.

I'd re-apply thermal paste as those temperature sounds way to high, if you are in a place with a very high ambient temperature, investing in a new cooler ( assuming you have stock) is advised.

Source (s) :
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/540
Personal experience (same card as you).
PSU knowledge - BeQuiet are a very good brand, most don't here of them as the are an EU company but they are reliable PSU's.
http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/43

Ignore systems PSU requirements, these are for generic PSU's of low quality, which you do not have, it is to allow some headroom for the usually crappy OEM PSU's.You COULD have damaged the CPU running at those temperatures for such a long time now which explains the stuttering though.

I am almost certain the CPU is the problem because of the temperatures.

EDIT : *CPU *that *apply

a c 103 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 5:14:01 PM

yummerzzz said:
Sounds like CPU temperature problems.

The Phenom II 955 max thresh-hold temperature is 62c IIRC, this is when it'll throttle or shutdown, the PSU is more than enough to run tat system - with 480W (40A) on the +12V rail - your system hardly draws ~300w max load.

I'd re-aply thermal paste as those temperature sounds way to high, if you are in a place with a very high ambient temperature, investing in a new cooler ( assuming you have stock) is advised.

Source (s) :
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/540
Personal experience (same card as you).
PSU knowledge - BeQuiet are a very good brand, most don't here of them as the are an EU company but they are reliable PSU's.
http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/43

Ignore systems PSU requirements, these are for generic PSU's of low quality, which you do not have, it is to allow some headroom for the usually crappy OEM PSU's.You COULD have damaged the CPU running at those temperatures for such a long time now which explains the stuttering though.

I am almost certain the COU is the problem because of the temperatures.

+1
July 1, 2012 10:05:41 PM

thanks for the help! i didnt know that over 62c (cpu) is a bad thing. i always thought it would be 70...

my room is very hot these days, i just placed a big fan for cooling the room near to the open pc. but its 46c right now in idle :/ 

my cpu cooler is a "Scythe SCKTN-3000 Katana 3"

but the fan broke last week, so i installed an old fan which fit on the heatsink. maybe thats the problem, although it does work... at 2344 rpm
July 1, 2012 10:28:19 PM

that is with prime95 running torture cpu test and a fan next to the open case

the "core" value is always 70, it seems like that is the mainboard. is that also a problem? also vcore keeps changing every second from 1,06v to 1,36v in that speedfan.exe window
July 2, 2012 2:02:31 AM

oh gosh, everything works fine now :D  you were right, it was overheating. the second it hits 58/59c, the cpu goes crazy and games/videostreams stutter like hell.

the scythe katana was crap, found an older arctic cooling cpu fan/heatsink, temps for cpu are now 33 idle and 45 on prime95 test

thank you all very much guys <3
a c 103 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 1:07:46 PM

wooo! lol I was right haha glad it all worked out...usually its either power issues or throttling due to overheating
!