Cpu weird behavior

I have an i5 2500k , a gtx 260 , and my cpu cooler is a Scythe Kabuto. Here's the issue i have:
I changed the thermal paste yesterday, after about a year of usage. I tried several ways, pea sized, a rice grain, a vertical line. I experimented with the quantity and the shape.
Before each time i applied the thermal paste, i cleaned the cpu and the cooler with alchohol and a cloth.
The results were pretty much the same with each different application, my temperature was higher than it used to be. I had 28-29~ idle , now i have 40-42~ idle.
The cooler is sitted properly i triple checked everytime. I have done this several times . The paste i use is The Chill Factor Thermalright.

And now to that adds also this weird part : When i use prime95 or intelburntest my cpu temperature stays the same as idle. 40-42 ~ .
But when i use a gpu burn test like Furmark my gpu rises from 50~ idle to 70+++ and immediately the cpu follows to 70 ~.
Also when i play for example league of legends my cpu temp rises to 66~
I use speedfan and HWmonitor.
My motherboard is Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3.
Any ideas?
4 answers Last reply
More about weird behavior
  1. Whats your i5 2500k clocked to and the volts? See if you can move the cpu fan (while its mounted) If it moves a lot you didn't mount it right. It may give a little but thats ok. The vertical line works best for me!
  2. I resetted it back to the default settings after it went that high temp to check if that was the issue. It wasn't. The heatsink/fan doesn't move at all , it's rock solid ! After some research i am starting to think that my paste has degraded. Is it possible ? Its 2-3 years old. It was pretty liquefied when i put it. I don't remember it being that way one year before.
  3. one thing to remember is stuff like AS5 takes some time to cure. I recommend getting noctua nt-h1 as it has no curing time and in my experience works better than as5.
  4. Ok i got noctua nt-h1, i'll test it and come back with the results in a few days.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Thermal Compound