Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade AM3 to AM3+?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2013 9:59:34 PM

Hello,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I figured it could go in either CPU/MB.

I'm a few years out of the hardware loop, so if anyone could give me some advice it'd be much appreciated.

I've got an old AM3 MSI NF980-G65 motherboard and a Phenom X4 955 CPU.
(There's no AM3+ BIOS update available.)

Would it be worth upgrading to an AM3+ board and keeping the 955 whilst saving for a more up to date (FX-Series?) AMD CPU?

Or would I be better off just scrapping it and spending the extra for a new Intel build?

Many thanks.

Here's the rest of my current system, I mostly use it for work and gaming.

More about : upgrade am3 am3

a c 159 à CPUs
January 3, 2013 10:08:31 PM

A new Intel build would be a better use of your money. There's no real performance gain by changing boards; that's true of almost any cpu; only gain might be some feature upgrade like sata III; but the performance difference between sata III and sata II is fairly small for most applications.
January 3, 2013 10:29:57 PM

o1die said:
A new Intel build would be a better use of your money. There's no real performance gain by changing boards; that's true of almost any cpu; only gain might be some feature upgrade like sata III; but the performance difference between sata III and sata II is fairly small for most applications.

I understand I wouldn't see much by just swapping boards, but would I see much of a performance gain with one of the newer AM3+ CPUs replacing my 955?

Thanks
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2013 10:30:03 PM

You could upgrade your MoBo if you plan on buying a SSD. I'd also wait for AMD's next big performance CPU (SteamRoller) coming out in Q1 2014 to upgrade your processor. AMD us supposed to bring a few new processors this year, but they're the same as last year's just with better power consumption.

However, if you don't want to wait for your performance, Go intel, especially if you're a gamer. But if you edit movies and do audio and stuff like that, Go AM3+/FX 8350. If I didn't already buy a AM3+ socket, I'd go intel, as I'm a Gamer, but since PD looks promising, i'm going to wait for that. Or see if Ivy B goes on sale in June. AMD should be on Par in 2014 with Intel... or at least Ivy Bridge...
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2013 10:31:46 PM

pirada said:
I understand I wouldn't see much by just swapping boards, but would I see much of a performance gain with one of the newer AM3+ CPUs replacing my 955?

Thanks

Either keep the 955 and OC. Or grab an FX 8350. You'll get up to 20% improvement (or more) Over the Phenom II.
January 3, 2013 11:06:20 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'll upgrade the board and stick with the 955 for another year then.

Are there any AM3+ MBs you could recommend?
I'm considering the Asus Sabertooth at the moment.
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2013 11:09:45 PM

What country do you live in? It be having some great refurbished MB on sites..... even the Sabertooth.
January 3, 2013 11:25:45 PM

I think there is no reason for you to upgrade at all, if your going to stick with AMD especially, the marginal performance gains you'll see from sata III are negligible and FX cpu's are only slightly faster if at all than Phenom 2's. Your MB is very good as it is so if your not going to fully upgrade and go intel I say just stand pat for now.
January 3, 2013 11:36:13 PM

@ms2
I'm from the UK.

holdingholder said:
I think there is no reason for you to upgrade at all, if your going to stick with AMD especially, the marginal performance gains you'll see from sata III are negligible and FX cpu's are only slightly faster if at all than Phenom 2's. Your MB is very good as it is so if your not going to fully upgrade and go intel I say just stand pat for now.

You do have a good point, I reckon any AM3+ MB available now will have dropped quite a bit in price by the time Steamroller comes around. I could probably save more buying everything together then.
January 3, 2013 11:39:43 PM

yeah I was in the same position as you but before the FX dropped. I bought an AM3+ board in anticipation of the new cpu's. When they came out they weren't up to snuff so I ended up sticking with my 955be. Could have stuck with my old board but oh well.
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 12:00:49 AM

pirada said:
I reckon any AM3+ MB available now will have dropped quite a bit in price by the time Steamroller comes around. I could probably save more buying everything together then.

If you plan on going AMD for 2014, you won't be saving any money buying everything all together. If you plan on going Intel, Wait till June. However, if you wait for the new AMD socket in 2014 to buy a new MoBo, you may not have to do a BIOS flash lol.
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 12:20:01 AM

Honestly, unless you really want to scratch the upgrade itch. I would hold off on doing that upgrade until Haswell comes out, then go from there. Phenom is still kickin.

If you want to upgrade I would suggest upgrading peripheral components first. I'd suggest picking up a new monitor 1080p or an SSD. Both you can use now and carry on through whichever next build you choose. Cheers.
January 4, 2013 12:26:46 AM

i like the asrock extreme 3/4 970/990 mb's im thinking of grabbing one for a 6300 8320 build im planning (depending on£)
January 4, 2013 12:55:15 AM

Thanks for all the replies, would I really see much of a performance boost with an SSD?

This motherboard does only support SATA 2, so I was kind of holding off getting one until I upgrade.

@griptwister
I thought the steamroller CPUs were going to fit AM3+?
Or is there a different series coming out?

a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 4:43:03 AM

pirada said:
Thanks for all the replies, would I really see much of a performance boost with an SSD?

This motherboard does only support SATA 2, so I was kind of holding off getting one until I upgrade.

@griptwister
I thought the steamroller CPUs were going to fit AM3+?
Or is there a different series coming out?

Load times wise, you'd see a massive difference with an SSD vs HDD using Sata6 (they're quite wonderful), but not graphics wise.

Yes, Steamroller will fit AM3+, but Your BIOS will need to be flashed if you buy a MoBo right now. Just for support. It's not hard though ;) 

Another option to put life into your system would be a GPU.

!