New Icons

When I want to change icons, I only have the 5 original icons I can change
to. I tried to open "moricons" but it was a .dll file and it sends a
message that there is no association and no folders attached. How do I make
it open? How do I download and use new icons?
7 answers Last reply
More about icons

    In news:eVLLpXDdFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Ilene Thompson <ilenethompson@mindspring.com> typed:

    > When I want to change icons, I only have the 5 original icons I
    > can
    > change to. I tried to open "moricons" but it was a .dll file
    > and it
    > sends a message that there is no association and no folders
    > attached.
    > How do I make it open? How do I download and use new icons?

    Don't try to open moricons.dll directly, but browse to it and
    open it from the change icons dialog box.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Thank you. That was very helpful, but very limited. Where are the icons that
    there used to be with a telephone, etc? And how do I download new icons from
    the web?

    In news:F58304AE-75CC-4C8F-A1C7-377C59ABCB5D@microsoft.com,
    ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Thank you. That was very helpful, but very limited. Where are
    > the
    > icons that there used to be with a telephone, etc? And how do
    > download new icons from the web?

    Are you replying to me? If so, you're welcome, but please quote
    the message you're replying to (as I did above) so we can
    understand.

    Do a google search for icon files on the web (there are *many*)
    and download the ones you like just as you would any other files.
    Create a new folder, and call it something like \icons. To use
    one of these, browse to the \icons folder in the change icon
    dialog box and choose it.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Yes, thank you. I think I know how to do that.

    In news:CF7F32C1-5B9D-4B9C-9AF5-0DC7DAA7E736@microsoft.com,
    ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Yes, thank you. I think I know how to do that.

    You're welcome, and thanks for quoting.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:F58304AE-75CC-4C8F-A1C7-377C59ABCB5D@microsoft.com,
    >> ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> Thank you. That was very helpful, but very limited. Where
    >>> are
    >>> the
    >>> icons that there used to be with a telephone, etc? And how
    >>> do
    >>> download new icons from the web?
    >>

    >> Are you replying to me? If so, you're welcome, but please
    >> quote
    >> the message you're replying to (as I did above) so we can
    >> understand.
    >>
    >> Do a google search for icon files on the web (there are
    >> *many*)
    >> and download the ones you like just as you would any other
    >> files.
    >> Create a new folder, and call it something like \icons. To use
    >> one of these, browse to the \icons folder in the change icon
    >> dialog box and choose it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    Most good ones are in shell32.dll. You can get an idea of where to look in XP from this 98 page.
    http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/iconlist.html
    "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message news:OyAcNEFdFHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > In news:CF7F32C1-5B9D-4B9C-9AF5-0DC7DAA7E736@microsoft.com,
    > ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >
    >> Yes, thank you. I think I know how to do that.
    >

    > You're welcome, and thanks for quoting.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup
    >

    >> "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >>
    >>> In news:F58304AE-75CC-4C8F-A1C7-377C59ABCB5D@microsoft.com,
    >>> ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    >>> Are you replying to me? If so, you're welcome, but please
    >>> quote
    >>> the message you're replying to (as I did above) so we can
    >>> understand.
    >>>
    >>> Do a google search for icon files on the web (there are
    >>> *many*)
    >>> and download the ones you like just as you would any other
    >>> files.
    >>> Create a new folder, and call it something like \icons. To use
    >>> one of these, browse to the \icons folder in the change icon
    >>> dialog box and choose it.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    >>> Please reply to the newsgroup

    Cool! I'll try it out. Everybody's been so helpful. There's a lot of stuff
    I still need to learn.

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Most good ones are in shell32.dll. You can get an idea of where to look in XP from this 98 page.
    > http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/iconlist.html
    > "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message news:OyAcNEFdFHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > > In news:CF7F32C1-5B9D-4B9C-9AF5-0DC7DAA7E736@microsoft.com,
    > > ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    > >
    > >> Yes, thank you. I think I know how to do that.
    > >

    > > You're welcome, and thanks for quoting.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    > > Please reply to the newsgroup

Configuration Microsoft Customization Icons Windows XP