Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CANCER Warning for ULTRA Product PC case

Last response: in Components
January 3, 2013 10:07:35 PM

Hi. I'm building a new computer.
I bought a new case from ULTRA Products on TigerDirect.com.
I got the case yesterday and I noticed a Warning label on the box "WARNING - This product contains chemicals which is known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects...".
Today I went to Tiger store to check other cases. ULTRA cases were the only ones that had the label.
What's interesting is that all the cases sold at Tiger are made in China and come from California.
What do you thin about it? Should I worry that I might get sick when the case heats up and start release some king of chemicals?
I contacted ULTRA but they can't tell me where are those chemicals, in the case or in cables.
Thank you for any reasonable information or advise.
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2013 10:27:06 PM

Hi :) 

Its just stupid Health and Safety rules and regulations....don't worry about it..

Did you know that ordinary engine oil would fail those tests and be Cancerous as well...lol

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2013 10:46:07 PM

I wouldn't worry about it either, you're more likely to get cancer from the vapours of petrol when you refill your car with petrol.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2013 11:54:48 PM

^unless you sniff your case like how some druggies sniff mousepads, you are fine.

and we all know not to buy from ultra as well
m
l
January 4, 2013 12:17:42 AM

The strong smell of many plastic products from China may have many origins. Sometimes it comes from the chemicals used to remove the parts from their injection molds (that is described sometimes as an acetone or butterscotch smell). Washing with water and soap usually gets rid of that type of smell. Another reason for the smell comes from fumigation of the containers carrying the products (that smells like gardening sprays). Washing should again help remove this smell.

Another type of smell comes from the plastics. If the case includes some type of PVC, the smell could be outgassing of phthalate plasticizers. Washing will not help. It is also commonly used as wire insulation. The more flexible the PVC the more the need to add phthalates. Many phthalates are banned in children's toys in the US. If the stuff is outgassing, it can take years for it to stop.
m
l
January 4, 2013 12:18:14 AM

just stop making out with the case and you will be fine.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 12:22:22 AM

email them back and ask for there fed material safety data sheet they have to give that to you or ask for there msdn filing numer wit hthe us goverment and the state of cal. also google the safty number given for cal. as it a state warning cal has to have it listed online what chemical it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_65_...
may be that case plating for the aluminum is what on that list.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_registry_number
January 4, 2013 1:53:45 PM

Thank you all for your time and advise.
TheBigTroll says "and we all know not to buy from ultra as well ".
Looks like you know more then me, since I have never paid attention to those labels on computers.
I will try to reuse my old Dell case and will return Ultra case just to be safe since Ultra cant tell me what chemicals they used to build their product.
m
l
January 4, 2013 2:29:09 PM

Best answer selected by quixmac.
m
l
January 4, 2013 6:14:28 PM

TheBigTroll said:
^unless you sniff your case like how some druggies sniff mousepads, you are fine.

and we all know not to buy from ultra as well

Why so you say we know not to buy from ultra?
Did you have bad experience with them?

Maciej
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 11:22:35 PM

we all know cheap brands are never to be trusted. for me, the rule of thumb for cases is to look first at antec and then move your way up. antec always builds a solid case at pretty much any price point
m
l
!