Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

PCI-Express and AGP capabilities

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 1, 2012 6:32:52 AM

Hi, and I'm just asking a simple question.
How fast is AGP compared to PCI-Express?
I heard that PCI-Express is 20 times AGP. If this isnt true, can someone tell me how many times AGP is better than PCI-Express?
If I find out how many times it is, I will put a link to a blog on me making a PCI-Express to multiple AGP adapter.
Thank you for the support! :)  :wahoo:  :love: 
a c 103 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 6:37:16 AM

PCIE is much faster than AGP according to Wikipedia it is 8x faster than agp
Score
0
a c 202 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 6:41:09 AM

You cannot simply adapt PCI-e into AGP, you will need controller chips in the middle to translate from the signals carried by the AGP bus into the appropriate signals to send to the PCI-e bus. Its not going to be as simple as you just making a quick adapter.

As for how much faster it is, PCI-e v1.x has a speed of 250 MB/s per lane, AGP had a max speed of 2133 MB/s so 8.5 lanes of PCI-e 1.x is as fast as an AGP slot. PCI-e 3.0 16x has about 7.5x as much bandwidth.

Why do you need AGP anyway? No new card has been made for it in the last 8 years.
Score
0
Related resources
a c 80 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 6:48:06 AM

^this. there's no logical reason to do this
Score
0
a c 120 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 7:24:04 AM

AGP 3.0 actually supplies quite a bit of bandwidth, a little more than a 4x PCIe 2.0 lane and even a 4x 2.0 lane is enough for most upper-mainstream video cards.

A PCIe 3.0 with 16 signal pairs delivers 8x the bandwidth of an AGP 3.0 connection

The switch to PCIe had more to do with logical design and power delivery than bandwidth
Score
0
a c 103 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 4:49:48 PM

Pinhedd said:
AGP 3.0 actually supplies quite a bit of bandwidth, a little more than a 4x PCIe 2.0 lane and even a 4x 2.0 lane is enough for most upper-mainstream video cards.

A PCIe 3.0 with 16 signal pairs delivers 8x the bandwidth of an AGP 3.0 connection

The switch to PCIe had more to do with logical design and power delivery than bandwidth


+1 this guy knows what he is talking about...power delivery was probably the biggest reasons for switching to pcie
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 5:10:45 PM

PersonalMac said:
Hi, and I'm just asking a simple question.
How fast is AGP compared to PCI-Express?
I heard that PCI-Express is 20 times AGP. If this isnt true, can someone tell me how many times AGP is better than PCI-Express?
If I find out how many times it is, I will put a link to a blog on me making a PCI-Express to multiple AGP adapter.
Thank you for the support! :)  :wahoo:  :love: 


What reason would anyone this day in age need something like that?
Score
0
July 4, 2012 1:30:06 AM

hunter315 said:
You cannot simply adapt PCI-e into AGP, you will need controller chips in the middle to translate from the signals carried by the AGP bus into the appropriate signals to send to the PCI-e bus. Its not going to be as simple as you just making a quick adapter.

As for how much faster it is, PCI-e v1.x has a speed of 250 MB/s per lane, AGP had a max speed of 2133 MB/s so 8.5 lanes of PCI-e 1.x is as fast as an AGP slot. PCI-e 3.0 16x has about 7.5x as much bandwidth.

Why do you need AGP anyway? No new card has been made for it in the last 8 years.

Because I need to use my ADC, OLD! (mac only display) on my PC
Score
0
July 4, 2012 1:31:44 AM

drums101 said:
+1 this guy knows what he is talking about...power delivery was probably the biggest reasons for switching to pcie

I need to use my old cinama display though... And most of my pci e video cards are about x4 powerfull anyway...
Score
0
July 4, 2012 1:38:06 AM

Hi, and i want to clarify to everyone, that i need to use a AGP video card for my old cinama ADC display.

If you guys are just going to say that AGP sucks and that "Why should you use it?" Im going to take this post down.

Remember, that i am just a smart 10 year old, and that i will always mention this for a reason at the end of my posts:

Thank you for the support! It helps my project run much more smooth.


On a completely different note,
I am a noob to these helpfull forums, and i forgot how to post. :p 
Can someone help me on this?
Score
0
July 4, 2012 1:49:26 AM

Oops, i meant how to start a new thread. LOL
Score
0
a c 120 U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 6:07:11 AM

PCIe and AGP are logically quite different. When PCIe began to replace AGP cards about 6-8 years ago most manufacturers used a bridge chip to convert an AGP interface on the motherboard into a PCIe interface which was connected to the graphics chip itself. As far as I know no one has bothered to design a chip which works in the reverse direction.

Fortunately you can get an adapter which combines DVI from your graphics card, USB from your motherboard, and DC power to allow for an ADC display to be used with only a DVI source.

This is what you want

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-DVI-ADC-Display-Adapter-A...
Score
0
a c 273 U Graphics card
July 14, 2012 2:00:52 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!